07 ST1300 New Battery, no difference

Bike
07 ST1300
During winter months here in the PNW I leave her covered, on a tender, in the carport and start and warm-up once a month.
Last month it turned over a bit then went to clicking like if I had a bad charge on the battery. I jumped it in order to warm it up for the month.
Now it did the same thing this month, but instead of jumping it I went down to the dealership and got the same exact battery (YTZ14S) brought it home, installed it and I'm getting the same results. I did have them check the new battery at the dealership prior to installing it and they assured me it was in good shape.

Anybody have some insight on what might be happening or suggestions?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Spray contact cleaner into the starter button would be my first suggestion, it gets gummed up over time.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You are near Seattle, so your climate has high humidity. I'd think it would not hurt to go over the bike checking grounds and battery terminals. Look for corrosion, especially in the starting circuit. When I do this, I like to loosen and retighten the screw/bolt for each even if I don't see any obvious signs of corrosion.

If when you jumped it from a fresh battery with no problem, then I'd check the wiring to and from the starting solenoid and on the starter itself. Since you changed the battery, those connections are assumed to be clean and tight. Just for giggles, put a voltmeter on the new battery. Right after you turn off the battery tender it should read around 13.3 volts. If the tender has been turned off overnight, it will probably read in the 12.4-.6 range. Just because the battery is new does not mean it is putting out the proper voltage. If you can jump it from a car battery w/ the car's engine off, then I'd suspect the new battery.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I've got a running document where I'm keeping some info for future reference, so I'm just cutting and pasting what I've got that might be relevant ['09 ST]. Now that I've got some of the covers off and tomorrow is finally going to warm up in my car port, I'll restart the bike [after the longest off period yet since I've had it 13 mos] with my volt meter connected, and a clip on DC ammeter. Assuming I haven't neglected my own battery too bad, I'll be able to update my information and give me a nominal starter watts [Volts X Amps]. You can ignore the notes to self after the volts listed.

Battery [from 2003 manual]

Rating: 12V 11Ah Fully Charged: 13.0 to 13.2 V Charging Required: Below 12.3 V

Charging Current Normal: 0.9A / 5 – 10 hours Charging Current 4.5 / 0.5 hour Current Leakage: 2.5 mA maximum

Replacement: YUASA YTZ14S 230 CCA [Igofar]

My own voltage measurements from earlier this summer between rides, bike started cold after about one day.

12.56 VDC Static - Battery appears well charged; below I think 12.4 you're already behind.
11.63 VDC Key On / Post Fuel Pump Prime / Head Light and Instrument Cluster On. - Should only slowly drop if left in this state for a few seconds.
10.30 VDC during the cranking phase fairly steady, but brief bike starts pretty quick. - If you're voltage droops much more than this, you've either got a weak or inadequate battery, or you're drawing excessive starting current.
14.20 VDC or something close to that once the bike runs. - Means your alternator is developing a high enough voltage to run your gear and recharge your battery.

OP
OP
Kimzey
Bike
07 ST1300
Follow here on my battery issue. Come to find out, leaving the new battery on the tender overnight cure the problem for now anyway. She started right up this morning and purred like a spoiled kitten.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Bike
06 st 1300
During winter months here in the PNW I leave her covered, on a tender, in the carport and start and warm-up once a month.
Last month it turned over a bit then went to clicking like if I had a bad charge on the battery. I jumped it in order to warm it up for the month.
Now it did the same thing this month, but instead of jumping it I went down to the dealership and got the same exact battery (YTZ14S) brought it home, installed it and I'm getting the same results. I did have them check the new battery at the dealership prior to installing it and they assured me it was in good shape.

Anybody have some insight on what might be happening or suggestions?
Clean all battery connections, even if they look clean, until shiny. Take your battery to the Auto Zone store, or other and they will put a load test on it. { free } I have an 07 also, and I found out if you don't use your bike over a week or longer, turn your key to lock the steering, this I found out will save your battery longer ?? Don't know why, but it worked for me. Phil

What kind of battery tender do you have? Do not use the cheapest Harbor Freight tender. It will ruin you battery. Spend a littibe bit money to get a good one at Costco.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Follow here on my battery issue. Come to find out, leaving the new battery on the tender overnight cure the problem for now anyway. She started right up this morning and purred like a spoiled kitten.

Thanks for everyone's help!
I've read that if you don't slow charge a new battery (unless you buy it from a battery store that has done this for you) overnight before use, the battery can lose up to 10% of it's capacity.

Top Bottom