1.5 years on the cbr1100xx blackbird

There may be a few of you considering a second bike, or thinking about selling the ST for something smaller. I sold my 03' ST and purchased a mint 03Blackbird about 18 months ago. Just thought I would provide a longer-term report on the Bird:
1. Up to 24k miles, now, from about 9k when purchased. Runs flawlessly, requires little maintenance, is easy to work on. Runs a bit hot in the NC summers, but so did my ST.
2. Tires changed twice because the thing can eat rear tires of you like quick throttle openings. Also, the linked brake system is really very good. I suspect, though I do not know for sure, that on two occasions when I entered corners way too hot, the linked brakes saved me.
3. Really is too fast, too much torque, too much temptation to lose license. All of the above are great reasons to keep it! So very intoxicating. If you have little self-discipline, then this bike is not for you.
4. I am 48 years old and have been on motorcycles since my mini-bike at age five. I have acquired a few skills riding and racing in deserts, mountains, and on tracks. I have used those skills on the Bird. It is absolutely not a bike for the beginner or novice. The suspension cannot keep up with the motor.
5. COMFORT: The big issue. I have modified my seat, the rear shock, the front forks, the screen, and installed a comfort kit just so I can ride the bike for long distances. In stock form, the reach to the bars is long and low. I tolerated this for awhile. But had to make a drastic change when my back and knees started to protest. With the mods, I can ride all day, in comfort, and at speed. In stock form, the Bird is in its own above 100MPH. It really starts to click doing triple-digit speeds. But who gets to do that for long? I don't, so on went the comfort kit.
6. Weather is an experience. If you like the bubble you can ride in on the ST, you may not like the Bird for long. I am far more exposed to weather on the Bird than on my ST. I have invested in heated clothing and rain gear to the hilt.
7. The Bird has street clout. It is not as fast as a Busa, but will out maneuver one any day of the week. It gets respect from riders who know what it is and what it can do. The ST looks like a big scooter. Admit it!! I know it's a shallow approach to the sport, but I like a bike that has a little street credibility.
8. My wife and kids refuse to ride with me now. They loved the ST. That's a good and bad thing. Like Bamarider, I like the solo touring experience best of all.

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
What did you pay for it? Also how much of a forward lean and what is the peg positioning as compared to a stock ST? What is the most miles you have done in a day? Thinking of something with more power but really wonder about the ergos. Thanks. Also what was the cost of the other changes and what is a comfort kit?
Posted via Mobile Device

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I've had my XX since '06 & have 33K mostly touring miles on it. It came with a Corbin seat & I changed the windshield (4X), installed VFR bars & peg lowering brackets. It will be on the road this summer. The soft bags & duffle move over from my VFR to the XX so I don't have to pack differently.

It's a hard bike to beat but you have to respect it. If you have short arms or torso, you probably won't like the reach to the bars. I ride one-handed most of the time sitting up, so am not bothered as much.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I sold my Black Bird because it was going to get me arrested! I installed helibars and peg lowering kit to make it a little more comfortable, but I still only did about 4-5 hours at a time.

As far as comfort, the ST doesn't have a forward lean compared to a Blackbird, which leans me forward enough to make it difficult to look over my shoulder. The fairing almost gets you out of the wind, but the screen doesn't block much wind at all. I either leaned all the way foraward on my tank bag or sat up one handed like Larry. I rarely rode for long periods of time with both hands on the bars in the upright position.

I got about 3K out of a rear tire and 5K out of a front so tire replacement is a constant.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I too have had mine about 1.5 years. I have put VFR bars on it but still can only last about 200 miles on it before I need to get off. This may be due to the fact that I haven't tried to do more than day trips with it so I haven't put mearly the miles on that most have. I got it more for just "funning" around and it does that in spades. You have to wonder how it can be so smooth and fast but it is. You really need to be vigilant or you will be traveling at go to jail speeds and not even realize it. I realize that there are many bikes now that are quicker but I really don't think there is one that looks better. But looks are a personal choice. I bought it because it became available for a good price and I couldn't see anything in the future that would be comparable. A lot of BB owners were thinking the new VFR1200 would be a replacement but it really isn't.
I don't think I have ever got off the bike and not been smiling. Great therapy!!
Kept the ST for longer trips. Can't be beat for that.
Rod

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
I've an ST1100 and a Blackbird and think both are great. The ST I like more in winter, the Blackbird, in summer. Mine's stock with no suspension fixes (though it could use added softening). Its general Honda smoothness I like.

At 6'1" I fit perfectly (I've a Corbin seat and a Zero Gravity double-bubble screen).

I'm on a cross-country trip to and from Minneapolis soon; anyone caring to "race" is welcome (just send me a PM for my route).

Seriously, the Blackbird's great.

Styles

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Man I loved my BB, even got one of those go to jail moments.......had to go to Federal Court.....a whole nother story there.

I sold her and bought the Hypermotard, not as fast but could still get me in a lot of trouble.

I have a new chain and front sprocket left over from the day of high adventure, if interested pm me...not sure I have much else left, maybe a windscreen or two but they are stock.

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I sold my 03' ST and purchased a mint 03Blackbird about 18 months ago. Just thought I would provide a longer-term report on the Bird:

My friend was the one who steered my towards the ST1100 as he has one as well. One ride and I was hooked. The first ride together we took when I got my new bike, we spotted a Blackbird. He was saying it was liquid smooth even more than the ST1100. I read a review of one someguy in Europe did where he had it out all day in the triple digits (Germany I think) and said it was not even breaking a sweat. Can you vouch for that?

I agree it would be a fun bike but I have little self discipline so I know how that would end up!

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
"....all day in the triple digits (Germany I think) and said it was not even breaking a sweat..."
I can't vouch for the all day thing but have no reason to doubt it. Kind of hard to test that out here in NA. A BB is just starting to get into its stride at 100mph. It truly cruises at 100+ effortlessly (DAMHIKT!!!). It is still about 1500 rpm below where it really starts to make power at 100. It is not so much the speed that makes the BB the bike that it is, but how smooth it is. I find the difference between it and the ST is about the same as the difference between an ST and a boxer BMW as far as smoothness goes.
The other great thing is that there seems to be lots of low mileage, well cared for ones for sale.
http://www.cbrxx.com/for-sale-wanted/
at relatively good prices. They tend to be owned by older riders who look after them. Other than the stator/rectifier and the cam chain tensioner, they are virtually bullet proof.
Rod

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
A BB is just starting to get into its stride at 100mph. It truly cruises at 100+ effortlessly (DAMHIKT!!!). . . .

It is not so much the speed that makes the BB the bike that it is, but how smooth it is. . . .

[EVIL]2X[/EVIL]

Styles

OP
OP
CZman
What did you pay for it? Also how much of a forward lean and what is the peg positioning as compared to a stock ST? What is the most miles you have done in a day? Thinking of something with more power but really wonder about the ergos. Thanks. Also what was the cost of the other changes and what is a comfort kit?
Posted via Mobile Device
I paid $5200. Bike was mint stock, like it had come right out of the crate. There is no compsrison to the ST when the Bird is in stock form. It is a sport bike and has the typical sport bike ergos. Most miles done in one day was 567 before comfort changes. I built my own comfort kit by drilling the top yoke and installing Easton bar clamps and bars. Cost about $100. I purchased peg lowerers and installed them backwards, which placed them even lower and further forward. If you are worried about ergos, then this may not be the bike for you unless you make mods.

Attachments

OP
OP
CZman
My friend was the one who steered my towards the ST1100 as he has one as well. One ride and I was hooked. The first ride together we took when I got my new bike, we spotted a Blackbird. He was saying it was liquid smooth even more than the ST1100. I read a review of one someguy in Europe did where he had it out all day in the triple digits (Germany I think) and said it was not even breaking a sweat. Can you vouch for that?

I agree it would be a fun bike but I have little self discipline so I know how that would end up!
I would really love to vouch for that, but my own triple digit jaunts are very limited. It is true that the Bird is super smooth and fast, and smooth at speed. I can tell you that the worst vibration, which is not very much at all, comes on between 4k and 5k RPMs. Above 5k to red line, it's smooth as glass compared to my ST. Although, the ST is still smooth, by comparison to others I have owned.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Couple of things to watch here:
- rate of acceleration
- notice the gas gauge (they are a bit thirsty)
- how stable and calm it is. He is even using his signal lights!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVuJ1ausLdc

Rod

Top Bottom