10 new BMW models

Bike
05 ST1300
I think the first one is kinda lame, but that’s just me. Check the specs on these models, high hp, high torque, high comp ratio, light weight, big fuel tanks. I might just have to stop by the bmw dealer and see for myself.

Reactions: Djc
Bike
VStrom 650
The F900XR looks quite tasty, but doesn't look quite full size sports tourer.
And just think if the EU gets its way they won't be making a single petrol bike in just 10 years time.
Thanks for posting.
Upt'North.

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
Some nice bikes in there! How do they keep the big ones so light-weight (compared to my FJR/ST)? No electric bikes in the mix yet - a matter of time of course, can't wait to see what they will come up with

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
<yawn> I'm happy to see that somebody be it BMW or anybody has brought a bunch of new models for the year despite the alleged declining motorcyclist category.

But the only one I liked was the first— the R18. An 1800cc twin from BMW. And it looks terrific. That looks like a bit more of a forward lean than I'd want but I'd sure like to see that go into production.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
The R18 will be interesting. How many people will complain of engine heat after sitting on a car engine? I know of one R1200RS owner who burned his boots because they were too close to the cylinders on his RS. Did you see where the pegs are on the R18?

The new R1250RS looks beautiful.

Chris

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
The new R1250RS looks beautiful.
Yes, I agree. And the posted weight (226 kg, 498 pounds) is really attractive too.

The only thing preventing me from getting one is an overly-rational evaluation of price vs. benefits. My current 2012 ST 1300 is fully depreciated, probably worth about USD $6,000, and the new RT, appropriately equipped (GPS, 'Select' package, etc.) is probably going to ring in at about USD $18,000. That's a heck of a price to pay in order to get the latest & greatest.

Michael

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
The 498 pounds is the bare bike. It might be wet, but it doesn't include panniers.

I go through an exercise is sanity each time I'm tempted to grab my wallet and buy some bike my heart lusts for. What perceived benefits will the new bike give me? Okay...then how much will it cost to get those perceived benefits?

I did a couple hour and a half long test rides on the R1200RS. I liked the bike a lot. But then I was thinking to myself about the things I'd have to change, like the windshield. I'd probably want some bar risers. And panniers. Oh...and I'd also need some protectors for those cylinder heads that double as tip-over protectors for the rest of the bike. :D And the only thing the RS gave me over my current F800GT was more weight and fancier electronics. All those things like the windshield are already "fixed" on my F800GT. So I'd end up spending a lot of money, just to get even with what I have already.

Sigh...so I get back on my bike that fits me like a glove and does everything I want it to do...with a heavier wallet.

Chris

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I'm hoping the BMW business model continues to pay off with sales increases of 5-6% each year [ for some years running]. Their new offerings attract customers, about 15,000 in U.S. and Canada, compared to HD which sold 125 K last year. However, H-D continues to lose sales several years running. Of course they both pale to Honda's U.S sales of 300,000+

Maybe if BMW's tourers, GS's and mid weights continue to attract buyers, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Kawi will reconsider larger motos for the North American market.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
My son bought a lightly used f700gs last fall. The first time I drove it I thought it stalled when I stopped at an intersection. It was still running. Very smooth running engine with plenty of top end power. My wife has the same motor on her f800st but it isn't as smooth at low rpms. The f900xr looks like a nice bike. I wonder if it's actually 900cc seeing how the f650, f700, and f800 all had 800cc motors?

Bike
VStrom 650
My son bought a lightly used f700gs last fall. The first time I drove it I thought it stalled when I stopped at an intersection. It was still running. Very smooth running engine with plenty of top end power. My wife has the same motor on her f800st but it isn't as smooth at low rpms. The f900xr looks like a nice bike. I wonder if it's actually 900cc seeing how the f650, f700, and f800 all had 800cc motors?
· The 895cc parallel twin that powers the new BMW F900 XR and F900 R makes 103bhp ( 77kW) @ 8,500rpm and 68 lb-ft (92Nm) @ 6,500; compared to the 88.5bhp @ 8,000rpm and 63 lb-ft @ 5,800 ... Or so it says.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
My newest BMW is a 1993 k75. It works quite well, it's got an archaic FI system, with just a couple of sensors, not known for giving trouble, and no ABS on this one. I'm not too into tech on vehicles, I still use a paper map on my tank bag for finding my way, I use the navigation app for when I really get turned around. Here's a pic of bike, to me it has aged really well as far as styling.
K75-015.jpg

Bike
2000 ST1100
Just this one now, about 6k original miles on this one. I can't say no when they come up for sale. They are just so undervalued, people can't hardly give them away. I keep thinking someday people will wise up and realize what a bargain they are.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
My newest BMW is a 1993 k75. It works quite well, it's got an archaic FI system, with just a couple of sensors, not known for giving trouble, and no ABS on this one. I'm not too into tech on vehicles, I still use a paper map on my tank bag for finding my way, I use the navigation app for when I really get turned around. Here's a pic of bike, to me it has aged really well as far as styling.
Nice bike, a classic.

I wonder what the future holds for people who like to own and maintain an older bike. Your 27 year old BMW and my 18 year old ST100 are essentially analog mechanical motorcycles that are, relatively speaking, easy to source parts for and easy to work on. Imagine in 2047 working on a bike as complex as the K1600 or the 1250 RT. Kind of boggles the mind and I suspect that most of these vehicles will be extremely expensive to own and maintain over the long haul due to the cost of repairing complex and proprietary electronics that are 100% integrated into the design of the vehicle.

Gives me an incentive to hold on to my "old" ST as it does everything I need in a bike.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Nice bike, a classic.

I wonder what the future holds for people who like to own and maintain an older bike. Your 27 year old BMW and my 18 year old ST100 are essentially analog mechanical motorcycles that are, relatively speaking, easy to source parts for and easy to work on. Imagine in 2047 working on a bike as complex as the K1600 or the 1250 RT. Kind of boggles the mind and I suspect that most of these vehicles will be extremely expensive to own and maintain over the long haul due to the cost of repairing complex and proprietary electronics that are 100% integrated into the design of the vehicle.

Gives me an incentive to hold on to my "old" ST as it does everything I need in a bike.
I really like motorcycles I can work on a when needed. The newest motorcycle models are like a new car, complex systems that I can't do much with. I bought a Suzuki dr650 recently, (i posted a bit about it over on the Suzuki section here too). It's really simple, no emission equipment, one carburetor, everything is easy to access. It's the reason I like BMW airheads too. I've had new motorcycles and cars in the past, as recently as 2012, but now I am happier with less techie vehicles.

Top Bottom