110,000 mile Service

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
With 6 to 10 inches of rain predicted for Memorial Day I decided to do the major service that was due on my ST1300. I normally do valve checks at 20 to 24,000 miles and it so happened that a coolant change and hydraulic system flush also were due. The last check at 86,xxx miles revealed 1 exhaust valve at .008" and in need of shimming back to nominal clearance of .010. Since there were 4 other exhaust valves at .009 I shimmed all 5 back to the loose side of .010 last check and I was interested to see if those 5 had changed any in 24,000 miles. It turns out that all valves had remained stable since the last recorded clearances. This job entails some anxiety for me - it is easy to check the clearances and a bit more involved to pull out the cams and reshim valves so I was glad only a check was involved and everything looked good. The cams still show virtually no detectable wear marks - no doubt due to regular oil changes with decent oil - and no buildup of varnish or sludge in viewable areas inside the engine. This engine still burns no oil between 5 to 6,000 mile oil change intervals. There has been a mix of dino and synthetic 5w-40, 10w-40, and 15w-40 oils in this motor. I feel good about this engine going a long time yet. The spark plugs all had uniform healthy coloring but it is my habit to replace them each valve check and I did again this time. I also replace the air filter at this service and examine the fuel hoses under the tank. I have that big L shaped one on hand but the original one still feels fresh and not hard or brittle so I elected not to replace it now. I then removed and flushed the radiator. I poured hydrogen peroxide over all the finned area to dissolve bug crud trapped down in the fins and tubing. After a few minutes I hosed the fins clear and set it aside to dry. At 86,xxx I did discover a coolant seep out of the thermostat housing along with some seepage from hoses in the vee of the cylinders revealed by discoloration and grime collecting on the front and right side of the engine. At that time I replaced the thermostat housing O-ring and snugged the hose clamps I could reach so I was relieved to find no recurrence of coolant seepage this time. I went no further than necessary here and I put 1/4 turn of torque on all those clamps again and let them be. The original OEM clamps are still in place. I then moved on to flushing and bleeding the clutch and brake systems with synthetic DOT 4. No surprises here. The shorter circuits I use the old fashioned open bleeder -pull lever- close bleeder manual method and a mity vac vacuum bleeder on the longer circuits where I can't reach the bleeder and the lever or pedal at the same time. It is amazing how slowly and gradually how just a little slop or mush comes into being and I think the clutch and brakes are still normal then after a flush and bleed levers and pedal are tight and firm again. The SMC was in for a close look under the rubber boot and for play in the short pushrod/clevis assembly. I have the parts to rebuild this but I judged it not required yet and reassembled the left front caliper to the fork. I replaced the clutch lever bushing, boot, and pivot bolt about 30,000 miles ago so I cleaned and regreased the moving parts again to finish. Finally I cleaned up the bike with cleaner and degreaser where it is normally covered up with tupperware

All told I spent about $90 on plugs, coolant, air filter and brake fluid. I started removing tupperware at 8 AM and finished up about 6 PM with an hour wasted in the morning going to the parts store for a short 3/8" drive extension. I need this to turn the crankshaft during the valve check. I know I have one but I could not find it so I had to stop and go to the store for another. I figure it took me about 9 hours working. I don't know what the dealer gets for these service items but I think I saved about $700 to $900 plus the knowledge exactly what was done and the condition of wear items. I don't really look forward to maintenance days but I am glad my dad was a mechanic and gave me the initial training and confidence to do it myself.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
All set for another batch of miles and smiles.

Good to see when the bikes get some miles on them and normal maint. is all that's required.

Thanks for the report Dave.

RCS

Thanks for the report. I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. What a great feeling when it is done and you personally know the status of your bike.

Have you changed the fuel pump yet? I'm wondering if this is a part that should have a scheduled change at 80,000 miles.

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have not changed the fuel pump or had any indications of trouble there (yet, nervous knock on wood). I do own Honda cars with more than 200,000 miles on the original fuel pumps. While they are not the same units they are the same in design and execution.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Sounds like you did a great job on getting the bike ready to hit the road soon. It is nice to know that the job was done right! Enjoy!

Top Bottom