1250FA Bandit

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I've been to the dealer twice in the last couple weeks and they've had one sitting on the floor next to an ST1300 and FJR. I really like the looks of it except for that giant can Suzuki put on it. I'm thinking it'd be a nice solo ride.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I have the earlier version, the Bandit 1250. Pretty much the same bike except for the fairing and instrument panel, the blacked out engine, a second radiator fan (to deal with the heat trapped by the full fairing) and slightly stronger fork springs (to deal with the extra weight of the fairing and fan).

I love it. It is an absolute blast to ride, and pulls stronger than any bike I've ever owned. There are plenty of smaller aftermarket cans available, and most of them are reasonably quiet, some can be very quiet (The Holeshot with dbkiller, which I have, and the Delkevic with it's insert, for two). For sport touring, you'll probably want to replace or Spencerize the saddle, and possibly add bar risers or taller bars and a taller windshield. There are many aftermarket shields for the '07 through '09 Bandit, but probably not yet for the 2011 FA. (I'm guessing the shields are not interchangeable, but haven't actually compared.) Assuming it's the same as the 07-09, to add bar risers you'll probably need to replace the brake line from the master cylinder with a longer one.

There are lots of aftermarket parts available, including Givi and Suzuki branded bags, performance and suspension parts, seats, etc.

Unless you're totally enamored of the styling of the 2011, you might consider a left-over '09 GSX1250SA Bandit. Essentially the same bike, and probably $3,000 to $4,000 cheaper. The Bandit was available with or without ABS ($500 price difference), the 2011 FA has ABS standard. Color matched fairing lowers are available for the Bandit.

For more info, check here: http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php

and here: http://www.twtex.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Did I say I love this bike?! The can in the pic below is from Holeshot: http://www.holeshot.com/

l84toff

Riding 2up around the world
Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
I sold a 2k8 Bandit 1250SEA, SEA meaning it came with the side, top cases and fully faired. I love the looks of the new version even more. The motor is very smooth and pulls like crazy. A tonne of torque, even in 6th on the hwy, I never had to d/s. There are a few changes I would need to make right off the hop however. Replace the seat for any type of LD riding, add a taller windscreen and get rid of that mammoth can. The Bandit was my favourite ride, even over the ST.

It's always a compromise of some kind, I traded huge fun factor, awesome sounding Hindle exhaust, a lot less wind protection and less comfort for Uber comfy, great wind protection but I still don't really like the sound of the ST. Of course the fun factor is still there in a milder form, you just have to ride it a bit more. If I didn't ride LD 2up, I would gladly have stayed with the Bandit however.

Bike
08 ST1300A
I love the look of the fairing on the FA. I've owned 2 Bandits, an 03 GSF1200S & 07 GSF1250S. I'd happily have another one in the garage! I only sold my 1250 because it was simply too small for LD "2 UP" riding, even though the bike will happily lug a pillion and luggage around all day we found it a bit too cramped space wise on longer trips.

As mentioned, if the stock seat hasn't been improved on the FA that would be the first item I'd be upgrading. Suzuki did have a gel seat for the B1250 but I don't know how good it is, and if it fits the FA. Risers are also a nice touch for long trips. I can't say enough good things about the 1250. They represent great value for the money, heaps of torque, good handling, plenty of range for touring, there's a lot of aftermarket bling for customising and they're cheap and easy to maintain. A great solo machine!

l84toff

Riding 2up around the world
Bike
Tiger Explorer 1200
I had both stock and gel seats and didn't like either one for what it's worth. The Gel seat heats up like crazy in when left sitting in the sun.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
The only downside to the bike appears to be the tank range, ~150 miles is pretty short. All the reviews say the same thing, lots of torque low and mid range and runs out of breath at the top end. But, the 1/4 mile time/speed for the bandit is just behind the VFR1200 and the ET equals the C14 and the speed is higher at 122 mph. I have to wonder how often you would need more acceleration above 120 mph.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
The most popular seat replacement for the Bandit seems to be Sargent, although some like Corbin. Mine has a Spencer modded seat, and it's quite a bit better than stock. If I were going to go long distance on it, I'd probably upgrade to the Sargent, but for shorter rides the Spencer seems to be fine.

Bike
Vstrom 650
nice bike, I'm thinking of getting a bandit or a fazer 1000,but i'll be keeping the st for two up touring

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
A few months ago I watched in amazement as an extremely proficient rider was throwing one around Infineon Raceway (Sonoma Raceway) in a very fast "A" Group track day.

For a big gal, she'll boogie.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
The only downside to the bike appears to be the tank range, ~150 miles is pretty short.
Just saw this thread.

Yeah, it's only got a 5 gallon tank but it definitely has greater range than 150 miles. What you've read is probably when the low gas alert begins flashing. On my '09 Bandit, it starts flashing anywhere between 145 and 155. The heck of it is that it's still got slightly over a gallon remaining in the tank. Don't know why they designed it to go off so soon. Considering that my average gas mileage is 43 mpg (I've gotten as high as 50 mpg), I'd say the range is more like 200+-.

I have to wonder how often you would need more acceleration above 120 mph.
Exactly. For real world riding off the track, the Bandit's engine simply can not be beat. I absolutely love that engine. I run through all 6 gears from a stop just barely cracking the throttle. Want to pass?... just roll on, no need to downshift.

Me likey!

Top Bottom