129 ways to drop your bike! re-posted

Bike
'96 ST1100
STOC #
This is a re-post. Somehow I put it in the "free" section the first time around. Fits much better here! :eek::

There is a saying here on the forum somewhere that there are two kinds of ST riders... Those that have dropped their rides and those that are going to.

Over at http://davedragon.rilysi.com/2007/06...your-bike.html is a list of 128 ways to drop your scoot. Some funny some stupid, all possible; one I have done twice (stepped in a hole and one almost (stepping in the center track oil at a toll booth!), both on Suzukis, and a hole, in the dark, on the Kaw.

#44 mentions wet grass. But my #129 involves an old long dead tree root hidden in the grass that I somehow managed to straddle while parking the bike at a local historical site this morning! I let my wife off to park it and apparently as I turned into the grass lot, moving about 2 mph or actually less, I got (recreating this after the fact) the front wheel on one side of the well hidden and slippery tree root and the rear on the other. I was down in the grass, looking at the sky before I really knew what happened. A hundred thoughts all at once... WTH? What happened? Was I hit by a car? Shot? Lightning? And worse. I had not seen anything to cause it but there I was. Getting up off the ground. Broke the RH mirror housing, put a neat hole in the RH tip-over wing that was actually buried in the dirt, and me? Thanks to a Scorpion helmet and CE pads in the shoulder and elbow, got not much more than a sore butt from the rock I (think) I landed on. I did bang my head on the ground with no apparent damage there.

I hunted around after I got the bike up and on the side stand, with the help of my wife and a passer by... Wife was fortunately off the bike, as stated, while I was "parking" it on the ground. I couldn't see or feel anything that would have put me down like that. As I turned back to the bike to check the damage there, I slipped on the root hidden in the grass and almost went down again! Apparently the rear wheel slid out to the left of the root and I went spilling to the right and off the bike.

Lesson learned? If you can't see the surface of what you are driving on... DON'T GO THERE!

Jerry...

OP
OP
STammtisch
Bike
'96 ST1100
STOC #
No idea what happened to that first link but

http://harley.wolfcrews.com/misc/drop_bike.htm will do it, as noted by krobait! Thanks

I was looking at my scoot today (and the slightly damaged/crunched right wing cover) and decided that was the perfect place to put Mellon's TOA sticker ("Tip Over Award" if you have not been paying close attention!). It would explain everything!

And my wife is almost always off the bike when I am parking it. Almost. That day she was! And yes, I dodged that bullet for sure! My knees are just a bit shorter than they should be for the 1100.

Jerry

Last edited:

corky51

loST
Bike
07 ST1300
I wish to add #129 way to drop your ST. Just undo the tie-down straps holding your new bike in place on the now lowered lift table as your wife/pillion watches. Nothing to it. Just release the one side ratchet mechanism, and watch your bike do the summersault the other way off the table. Guess what? The tip over bars I installed from bygdawg do as advertised. The bike landed on the front bumper, the rear tip-over bar and the right mirror. The glass shattered, plastic shell broke off one of the nubbs that hold the mirror assembly in place, already epoxied back together. Since I have to replace one mirror, why not replace both with the multivex mirrors. Ordered and on the way. Oh, well. Supposed to snow tonite and cold for next 10 days so probably wasn't test riding anyway. Wife is starting to have doubts about this bike touring thing. We haven't left the garage yet.

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Just teach her how to jump off when it tips over. (Notice I said when it tips over. :( ) BTDT

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Corky51, I'm sorry, but I laughed my arse off reading this. Don't get me wrong, I feel your pain.
Theres not much you can do when your bike is in mid flight.

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
"There you go with them negative vibes, man!"

Cheech or Chong, or Crazy Jim maybe???:D
Donald Sutherland's character (Sgt. Oddball the tank commander) in Kelly's Heroes is who first popped into my head.

-Steve

Top Bottom