12v cigarette lighter socket and combined usb

i*m trying to find somewhere to connect a 12v socket and combined usb chargers, i would like to connect it up someplace other than the battery terminals
i found a supply which was feeding a LF1 S-PIN regulator 150a which is for the led indicators, so i tapped into the live and neutral which supplied it.
Needless to say it didnt work, when i plugged the tyre compressor into the 12v socket there was no power, and later on i found only the indicators on the left hand side were working
I've ordered another relay, but i still need to wire the 12v socket and usbs
Can someone tell where abouts i could find a suitable supply, also i'd prefer the power to the socket and usbs only to be on, when the ignition is turned on

Bike
R1200rt
1672510510973.pnga simple relay would work the best would work the best 87 would go to the power socket, need a fuse at battery to #30 and 85 would splice in to a key on power source, ( running light)

Bike
2010 ST1300
USB chargers draw 2 amps (and a fraction) max, unless it is a dual port type. A 12 v. socket can easily be rated for 15 amps. You cannot simply piggyback these two loads on an existing circuit without overloading it. Check your little compressor for its rated load and design the circuit around that piece of equipment if it will be your largest load. If you plan on using the socket for heated gear, add up all the watt ratings (jacket, gloves, whatever) and divide by 12 to get amps. If the distance from source to load and back is under 6', (call it 2 meters), you can use #14 wire, otherwise, use #12*.

Since compressors draw a significant amount of current, and will run for 5 minutes or longer, you should put a fused pigtail on your battery and lead the connector to an easily reached point on the bike. You can pick up power for the USB port anywhere else. That is a small load. Don't run the compressor unless the bike is running. Pumping up your repaired flat tire only to find your battery will not start the bike is frustrating, to say the least.

*These wire sizes are AWG - American wire gage #14 = 2 sq mm area; 1.63mm dia. #12 = 3.3 sq mm area; 2.1 mm dia.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
USB chargers draw 2 amps (and a fraction) max, unless it is a dual port type. A 12 v. socket can easily be rated for 15 amps. You cannot simply piggyback these two loads on an existing circuit without overloading it. Check your little compressor for its rated load and design the circuit around that piece of equipment if it will be your largest load. If you plan on using the socket for heated gear, add up all the watt ratings (jacket, gloves, whatever) and divide by 12 to get amps. If the distance from source to load and back is under 6', (call it 2 meters), you can use #14 wire, otherwise, use #12*.

Since compressors draw a significant amount of current, and will run for 5 minutes or longer, you should put a fused pigtail on your battery and lead the connector to an easily reached point on the bike. You can pick up power for the USB port anywhere else. That is a small load. Don't run the compressor unless the bike is running. Pumping up your repaired flat tire only to find your battery will not start the bike is frustrating, to say the least.

*These wire sizes are AWG - American wire gage #14 = 2 sq mm area; 1.63mm dia. #12 = 3.3 sq mm area; 2.1 mm dia.

Attachments

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
the compressor is rated at 10a/ 85w.
as per the screenshot above the 12v socket is combined in one unit with 2 usb chargers,
i'm still confused as to how i wire it up, it comes with a pigtail fuse and 2.5meters or wire

Bike
2010 ST1300
On the right side of the bike just behind the fairing pocket is an accessory harness. It will easily handle the charger. I would recommend running the air compressor directly off the battery. Another option would be to add a fuse block in the tail section. Eastern Beaver or the FZ1 are the most popular.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
On the right side of the bike just behind the fairing pocket is an accessory harness. It will easily handle the charger. I would recommend running the air compressor directly off the battery. Another option would be to add a fuse block in the tail section. Eastern Beaver or the FZ1 are the most popular.

so basically i can't connect this combined unit , all i can do is use the usb chargers , and not use the 12v socket on the unit (see pic) and just cut the plug off the compressor and connect to battery terminals when needed

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
Yes, also the picture is of a 2amp charger. What type plug does the compressor have? You can connect an SAE type or a socket type pig tail to your battery with the appropriate fuse for your compressor.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
Yes, also the picture is of a 2amp charger. What type plug does the compressor have? You can connect an SAE type or a socket type pig tail to your battery with the appropriate fuse for your compressor.
the compressor has the male plug which fits into the 12 volt socket that you can see in the screenshot ,

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
i*m trying to find somewhere to connect a 12v socket and combined usb chargers, i would like to connect it up someplace other than the battery terminals
i found a supply which was feeding a LF1 S-PIN regulator 150a which is for the led indicators, so i tapped into the live and neutral which supplied it.
Needless to say it didnt work, when i plugged the tyre compressor into the 12v socket there was no power, and later on i found only the indicators on the left hand side were working
I've ordered another relay, but i still need to wire the 12v socket and usbs
Can someone tell where abouts i could find a suitable supply, also i'd prefer the power to the socket and usbs only to be on, when the ignition is turned on
I dont know where mine is connected, but i had them connect it to a ten amp, rather than a five amp. This way, i can use my tire pump and charge my mattress pump without a problem. They will now work when the key is off. I believe the extra “ fuse box” is all five amp.
Mine is a st 1100 and my lighter/usb is in my left front pocket.

Bike
2010 ST1300
A lot of accessories today are made without consideration of how they will be used. For power outlets, more than a few are not designed to carry the full load of 'appliances' that can be plugged into them. Even your run of the mill duplex receptacle* (wall plug in your house) comes in various flavors, from the $.65 junk up to a $15 specification grade type that is virtually indestructible (you can buy $25 versions, too for industrial use). You get what you pay for. Many guys here have installed DIN (Hella; Powerlet) receptacles on our bikes because they are designed and manufactured to higher standards than the US spec cigarette lighter socket.

The Honda Quartet Harness is fused at 5 or 10 amps because Honda ran small gage wire to power that circuit. Your compressor should not use that as a source of power. (Come to think of it, you have not said what bike you have - this post is in a Tech forum.) Several of us have said to separate the loads - you can connect the entire socket/USB to your accessory/quartet harness, just do NOT overload it by plugging in the compressor. Use that socket to power a GPS or heated gloves. or maybe a low wattage heated 'sweater'. Run a dedicated circuit from an auxiliary fusebox or from the battery to power your compressor.

*Sorry, I keep forgetting you are in the UK. I'm describing a standard power receptacle in every home in the USA that takes a two or three pronged plug. I'd bet your bike that European power receptacles come in different levels of quality and cost as well. (I don't gamble which is why I'm not betting my bike.) :rofl1:

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
A lot of accessories today are made without consideration of how they will be used. For power outlets, more than a few are not designed to carry the full load of 'appliances' that can be plugged into them. Even your run of the mill duplex receptacle* (wall plug in your house) comes in various flavors, from the $.65 junk up to a $15 specification grade type that is virtually indestructible (you can buy $25 versions, too for industrial use). You get what you pay for. Many guys here have installed DIN (Hella; Powerlet) receptacles on our bikes because they are designed and manufactured to higher standards than the US spec cigarette lighter socket.

The Honda Quartet Harness is fused at 5 or 10 amps because Honda ran small gage wire to power that circuit. Your compressor should not use that as a source of power. (Come to think of it, you have not said what bike you have - this post is in a Tech forum.) Several of us have said to separate the loads - you can connect the entire socket/USB to your accessory/quartet harness, just do NOT overload it by plugging in the compressor. Use that socket to power a GPS or heated gloves. or maybe a low wattage heated 'sweater'. Run a dedicated circuit from an auxiliary fusebox or from the battery to power your compressor.

*Sorry, I keep forgetting you are in the UK. I'm describing a standard power receptacle in every home in the USA that takes a two or three pronged plug. I'd bet your bike that European power receptacles come in different levels of quality and cost as well. (I don't gamble which is why I'm not betting my bike.) :rofl1:
my bike is a 1994 ST1100, i'm just going to connect the whole combined unit to the battery terminals

Attachments

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
So as a related advise for future use:
never attempt to inflate a tire without the engine running in idle... otherwise that compressor can easily leave you stranded with a drained battery... tire fixed, you're still not going anywhere...
Or park on a downhill! Of course, ive never done that!

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
i tested the compressor while blowing up a motorcycle tyre to 34psi on my mates bench power supply
it never went above 6.5amps, and no wires got hot

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Is the red wire is long enough to reach the fuse block?

There are 4 slots on the back of the fuse block that will accept a crimped on blade spade lug. This is a switched on/off 12vdc non-fused source. Cut the ring connector off and crimp a male blade spade lug on the red wire. Insert lug into the fuse block. Check to verify voltage. In the US , the spade lug color is matched to the wire size. (I would use red, maybe blue, in the US.) There are at least a couple sizes for the width of the lug.

spade lug.jpg

Top Bottom