1991 ST1100 Fork Seal Replacement

I am going to do a fork seal and bushing replacement on my 1991 Honda ST1100.

If I should need springs, will a set of racetech springs with a stiffer rate drop right in? I don't want to do any pvc spacers or anything, I just want the springs to match the current springs in length, just a little bit stiffer.

Thank you,

Jim Lyons
STOC #9071

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Racetech springs are standard length/diameter/spring rate, but are not necessarily model-specific. They should come with PVC pipe for spacers, you will just need to cut these to length e.g. with a hand saw. RT provide instructions that allow you to work out the appropriate length.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Another tip is to mark on the fork cap and tube where the threads start to engage. This helps when you are reinstalling the cap while compressing the spring if you know when the threads should engage.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
When assembling:
orientate the cuts of the bushings either inboard our outboard and mark the position of the fork tube (masking tape & Sharpie) before inserting them into the bottoms
(never have the cuts at the load bearing forward or rearward position)

OP
OP
Jrlyon
Crack the bolt in the bottom of the slider next to the axle while it’s still mounted.

You probably won’t need to replace your OEM springs as they’ll most likely still be well within spec.

AOW: Fork Seal R&R Tips (ST1100)

John
John,

On your tips it says to use a mechanical sissor jack under the engine. (Thats how I do it when I take off the front wheel)

Will the sissor lift under the engine give me enough clearance to remove the forks? I can only jack the bike up untill the rear wheel hits the ground, right?

When intalling the forks back into the bile, the manual says the top of the fork tube flush with the upper surface of the top bridge. Will I still have to do the axle thing that Bruce Triplett talks about?

Thank you,

Jim Lyons
STOC# 9071

Attachments

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Will the sissor lift under the engine give me enough clearance to remove the forks? I can only jack the bike up untill the rear wheel hits the ground, right?
Yes and yes.
When intalling the forks back into the bile, the manual says the top of the fork tube flush with the upper surface of the top bridge. Will I still have to do the axle thing that Bruce Triplett talks about?
Sorry, I don’t know who that is or what his tip entails but both tube tops should be flush with the top of the bridge.

John

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Will I still have to do the axle thing that Bruce Triplett talks about?
Not familiar with the name either, but if you're referring to the front axle tightening procedure that's commonly mentioned, yes you should follow that procedure.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Regarding setting the fork height I like to set one tube per the manual and leave the second slightly loose, then check to see that the axle will slide cleanly without binding through both legs, and adjust the loose leg slightly up or down to achieve nice alignment (and then tighten it).

Getting the legs parallel on the axle is important for smooth fork action. One side is fixed (by the axle nut) and the other can float side-to-side a little until the axle clamp is tight. So tighten the axle nut, then bounce the forks up and down to let the other fork leg find its most relaxed position on the axle, then tighten the clamp.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
One side is fixed (by the axle nut) and the other can float side-to-side a little until the axle clamp is tight. So tighten the axle nut, then bounce the forks up and down to let the other fork leg find its most relaxed position on the axle, then tighten the clamp.
Such could get religious as there is a marking groove on the LHS of the axle which should end flush with the outer edge of the LH fork bottom/clamp, indicating proper* alignment...
*as long as all wheel bearings have been installed as instructed too...

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I've 'bounced' mine all the way home from a dealer who hadn't bothered to retighten them, felt fine to me !!!!

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I've 'bounced' mine all the way home from a dealer who hadn't bothered to retighten them, felt fine to me !!!!
I rode my brand-new Suzuki RF900 home from the dealer and thought I had bought an ill-handling pig. The phrase "handled like a wheelbarrow full of wet cement" came to mind. Turned out, that is what you get with 9psi in the front tyre. The same dealer later left the oil filler cap loose after the first service whichI only discovered after it had pumped a decent quantity out over my boot and the right rear of the bike. Dealers are not to be trusted.

OP
OP
Jrlyon
Yes and yes.

Sorry, I don’t know who that is or what his tip entails but both tube tops should be flush with the top of the bridge.

John
John,

On the left fork leg assembly, step (11) is installing the socket bolt/washer. After you install the socket bolt/washer do you then torque it to 14 FT LBS or do you wait to torque these bolts after the fork legs are completely done? I know you torque the fork caps after the forks are back on the bike.

Will I be able to grab the damper rod on the right fork with just a 33 inch coat hanger with a loop on one end? Are the 10 MM bolts and nuts fine thread or super fine thread? See image below.

I have a Motion Pro ringer style fork seal driver. Will I be able to drive the upper bush and seal in without removing the the fork tube protector from the slider? I know I could do it with the pvc pipe and the two hose clamps washer and cap. What size pvc did you use, was it 2 Inch?

I just completed a Buell XB12R fuel pump rebuild successfully. I had to take the swing arm off per the manual and had it done and riding the bike after three days. It was pretty cut and dried, just hate messing with flare fittings, but really no proble with flare wrenches. Rebuilding the pump was lind of sketchy with a hard plastic flex like that you had to heat up with heat gun the slip it on and clamp it with a and ear clamp.

Jim Lyons
STOC #9071

Attachments

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
On the left fork leg assembly, step (11) is installing the socket bolt/washer. After you install the socket bolt/washer do you then torque it to 14 FT LBS or do you wait to torque these bolts after the fork legs are completely done? I know you torque the fork caps after the forks are back on the bike.
Jim, it may spin if you try to torque it then. I’d say snug it up so suspension fluid doesn’t leak past and wait until the fork is mounted again to do the final torque. Just like during disassembly, loosen that bolt while the forks are still mounted. Torque the fork caps with the upper bridge bolts loose, and crack them during disassembly similarly.
Will I be able to grab the damper rod on the right fork with just a 33 inch coat hanger with a loop on one end?
Probably. Have a look at the included pictures of damper tools.
Are the 10 MM bolts and nuts fine thread or super fine thread? See image below.
Super fine, as noted in the picture.
I have a Motion Pro ringer style fork seal driver. Will I be able to drive the upper bush and seal in without removing the the fork tube protector from the slider?
I don’t know, what does it look like? The Honda special tool drivers in the STOC loaner tools kit don't require removal.
I know I could do it with the pvc pipe and the two hose clamps washer and cap. What size pvc did you use, was it 2 Inch?
Sorry, I don’t remember and I threw my DIYer away. You have to have an ID of ~> than 41mm or 43mm, depending on your year and model. I know I had to cut slits in the PVC and use a hose clamp to reduce the diameter to get a snug fit.

IMG_1768.jpeg

IMG_1767.jpeg

John

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Comments from the peanut gallery…?
:biggrin:

9648854_XXL.jpg

like: don't forget to pump up them brakes before even attempting to roll it off the main-stand... ;)

I check quite a number of things while the front end is lifted/me working on it...
- head bearings
- visuals on various parts (corrosion, wear, cracks, leaks...)
- waterproof grease behind the bearing seals
- wheel bearings
- clean/grease the speedo gears (not too much though)
- speedo cable (sleeving cracked, proper routing, etc...)
- rotors, calipers & pads
- while spinning the wheel I check for irregular noises and test for prompt grip and prompt release...
- tlgo

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Last edited:
Top Bottom