1993 ST needing upgrade to 40 amp

Hello, I am new to the group and would appreciate any suggestions. I need to upgrade to a 40 amp alternator. The 28 amp just died. Anyone know anyone in New England USA who has done this? I am in NH. Are there kits? I am the original owner of a 199ST1100 and want to save it very much.
Thanks
Wayne

Bike
VStrom 650
Wayne, I'm no help on the 40A upgrade but if your 28 has been on since 95 then is it an option to save yourself some work and fit like for like.
Upt'North.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
This is the link with videos on how to do it. http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=942.0
There's a loaner tool kit available from John O. You can get a Chinese knock off new 40Amp alternator, for a reasonable price. do a search on ebay
Google is your friend, as well as the search feature on this forum.
If you have questions ask away, and we shall endeavor to assist.

OP
OP
Thank you again. I have some skill with a wrench but I am thinking I will have my mechanic do this. Any idea how much time the job takes?

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
If you looked at the link the Kiltman gave above, you may decide to do the conversion yourself - it's labor intensive. You could save some Big $$$ that way and have some fun, too. Why let your mechanic have all the fun ?? It's not that hard of a job f you are familiar with wrenches, etc. and would like to learn about doing something different.

Last edited:
Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Right after I bought my 1991 three years ago, I bought a boat load of new and used spares, just in case. Found a 28 amp alternator from a 5000 mile wreck which I added to my spares stash. Over the last 2 1/2 years, I have seen NO serviceable spares at local wrecking yards; all are leakers or overheated from high mile bikes. All those I have seen on Ebay have no credible history associated with them, have burned or broken wiring, or obviously leak oil from the harness exit......not safe bets given the amount of labor involved in replacement.....and asking prices are all in the ridiculous range. Unless you really make a lucky find, the upgrade to 40 amps is the best alternative.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
The retrofit of the 40 amp is a well-documented process and can be accomplished by most mechanically inclined people, especially if you study the available docs and get the travelling tool kit. I've done it, took 2 days (probably 8-10 hours) but I did a couple other things while in there.

One problem with staying with the 28 amp unit is the regulator. OEM units are difficult to source, but there are some aftermarket solutions available. It may or may not be the issue that the OP had, but is eliminated by installing the 40 amp.

Here is a link to the Archives Of Wisdom article on ST-RIDERS.net (I suggest you join): LINKY LOTS of great info on the ST1100 (and 1300) on that site.

Top Bottom