1st repair

Bike
ST1100
Well I pulled the trigger (so to speak) by buying my 1st touring ... an ST1100, 1994, with 20k.

After my 1st short 1 hour ride I parked it and couldn't wait to start it up and go for the next run. Next day went to start and it wouldn't start, apparently the seller rigged the incorrect battery, so I bought the right one and installed, problem and repaired.

Started her up and 3 minutes later fuel everywhere, well fuel leaks are usually cut and dry to find, repair sometimes can be a surprise, but I removed the air box, found the bent clamp at the fuel line and fixed.

Getting back together was a little of a surprise. Those rubber snorkels and getting them seated and the airbox base aligned at the same time proved to be a challenge. Any secrets/tricks/ to that?

Next surprise was when I was reconnecting all vaccum and breather lines. I have one extra, can't find where it connects and my fear is that I missed a connection under the airbox between the carbs. I have posted a pic. Any input please?

Thanks ahead of time for any answers.

Attachments

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
I believe that one goes under the fuel tank?? there should be a spout connector for that on the tank.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Those rubber snorkels and getting them seated and the airbox base aligned at the same time proved to be a challenge. Any secrets/tricks/ to that?
The trick to that is to NOT take the snorkel assembly off the carbs in the first place! I found, once that mistake was made, that the easiest way to get it all realigned was to have the carb bodies all a bit loose, in relation to each other, then attach the snorkel assembly and then tighten all carbs together. But I had also taken the carbs off, so that would mean more work in your case.

Not sure about that "spare" hose, although Doug's answer makes little sense to me, since the fuel tank only connects to the carb area via the fuel line/ fuel filter hose on the right side. There is a connection for a hose like that on the base of the air filter box. Maybe that's the one?

Last edited:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I would also have guessed that it comes form the a/f box but the lay of the tube should give it away.....

The hoses tend to take up a natural lay, so reconnecting is normally straightforward, of course "normally" is relative.....

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
It's the vent tube for the Air Vent Control Valve (AVCV). Clearly shown on p.1-31 in my Honda Service manual. This "No. 7 TUBE" runs to the front of the carb box and tucks into the retaining bail/band/bracket there, pointing down. Just above the nipple for the Air Suction Valves' hose. HTH

Edit: just to be clear, that end of the hose doesn't plug into anything, it simply vents to atmospheric (schematic on p.1-34).

Edit2: the other open hose, center right in your pictures, is the crankcase breather hose which must be reconnected to its nipple on the bottom of the air cleaner housing. N.B.

John :STOC: Ten Fifty-Eight

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Ah ha! That's why I didn't recognize it. No such pipe on the Canadian models, at least not up as far as the '95 models.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Yeah, my classic USA 1991 model doesn't have the purge and air vent valves either. My copyright '92 manual covered them though. That section of the manual has come in handy for me a few times over the years.

John

Top Bottom