2003 ST1300, component identification

Not able to post a pic of what i came across but hoping someone can help identify based on the description.

I was running some wires for some additional lighting and was rooting around under and behind the passenger seat in the space just behind the tail light assembly. I noticed a black box that was being held down by the same rubber strap that holds the tool bag under the seat. After removing the rubber strap, i could pull that black box out in the open and see that it had bundles of wires going in to it. The box is completely sealed and is stamped with "ABS" as well as some other serial numbers on it.

My understanding is that the Antilock Brakes didn't appear until the 2004 version of this bike. If that "ABS" isn't referring to antilock brakes, what else could this box be?

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
The Fuel injection computer resides in the tail section. If your bike has ABS you will find two black boxes in the tail. the second unit is the ABS computer. ABS was an option in 2003 and was the only way to get the adjustable windshield that year.

The ABS computer has three connectors, the FI computer has two.

OP
OP
WJHamel
The Fuel injection computer resides in the tail section. If your bike has ABS you will find two black boxes in the tail. the second unit is the ABS computer. ABS was an option in 2003 and was the only way to get the adjustable windshield that year.

The ABS computer has three connectors, the FI computer has two.
I'll take a look at it again tomorrow to see how many connectors are going in there, but i definitely do not have the adjustable windshield. I mean, anything is "adjustable" if you pull hard enough on it, but no.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
If that "ABS" isn't referring to antilock brakes, what else could this box be?
It refers to the type of plastic that the box is made of - in this case, Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS). That's the same kind of thermoplastic that many home plumbing components are made of. Lego blocks are also made from ABS.

The box has ABS moulded into it to enable it to be recycled properly when the vehicle reaches end of life. I think that is a legal requirement for plastic components in vehicles.

Michael

Top Bottom