2006 won't crank

Hey everyone, thanks in advanced for the help. This forum is great.

I have a 2006 ST1300. I hear a relay click but the starter won't crank or turn over. I only hear the click of what i assume is the relay. The click seams to come from behind the fuses but more towards the center of the bike. Battery seems fine. The dash doesn't flicker like a low battery, the headlights are bright, and the charger shows 12v. I'm thinking maybe a ground somewhere?

Oh, and when it's in gear with side stand down and clutch lever not pulled, I hear the same thing.

Thanks,
Ron

Last edited:

aniwack

Site Supporter
Bike
05A/07A/09PA
STOC #
Have you tried turning it off and on again?? ;P

Glad you're back on the road.

Bike
2010 ST1300
OMGosh! This is so embarrassing!
You're not the first. Riding back from a mc lunch, one of my friends pulled over suddenly - I pulled in behind him. He wanted to adjust his helmet or earplugs but his bike would not restart. Now this guy regularly logs in the 20,000's miles a year. He buys another used (usually BMW) bike every other year. He flies to watch the Isle of Mann race every year...and he had hit his kill switch when he pulled over. I asked him using the same question Larry posed, "kill switch?".

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad you sorted it.

I am intrigued about that clicking when you press the starter button though. The only thing that I can think of is the headlight relay, as headlights are turned off when you press the starter button. Were your lights turned on ? We don't have the luxury of a headlight switvh in the UK. I've never noticed the click though.

That's not embarrassing. Embarrassing is when you don't ask the question - until you have the fairing off, headlight console off, relays and fuse boxes pulled out and you are at your wits end trying to find the fault. Then you post a photo. Then someone chimes in 'Is your kill switch off ?'

Me? No. Not yet. But one day........

My stupidist mistake was to reverse the bike down the ramp of the hydraulic service table. I had forgotten that the side stand was down, and it jams against the edge of the ramp with the back wheel almost at the bottom of the ramp, the front wheel still on table.

Get out of that ! Don't ask me how - I've forgotten.

Bike
2010 ST1300
My stupidist mistake was to reverse the bike down the ramp of the hydraulic service table. I had forgotten that the side stand was down, and it jams against the edge of the ramp with the back wheel almost at the bottom of the ramp, the front wheel still on table.
It was not too clever of me to roll my ST off the front of my Harbor Fright lift. After the front wheel hits the garage floor, the back wheel's weight pressed the front lip (unsupported) down and the rear of the lift elevated, leading to a few moments of.....Fright.

OP
OP
Rdisney
Glad you sorted it.

I am intrigued about that clicking when you press the starter button though. The only thing that I can think of is the headlight relay, as headlights are turned off when you press the starter button. Were your lights turned on ? We don't have the luxury of a headlight switvh in the UK. I've never noticed the click though.

That's not embarrassing. Embarrassing is when you don't ask the question - until you have the fairing off, headlight console off, relays and fuse boxes pulled out and you are at your wits end trying to find the fault. Then you post a photo. Then someone chimes in 'Is your kill switch off ?'

Me? No. Not yet. But one day........

Get out of that ! Don't ask me how - I've forgotten.
You are correct. I confirmed the clicking sound was the headlight relay.

Top Bottom