2007 ST1300 rear brake locking up issue ! ! ! !

I have a 2007 ST1300 with only 8800 miles on it and I am having a problem with my rear caliper locking up. I replaced the pads and I still have the same problem. All 3 cyclinders seem to move easily when the brake is depressed. But when its underway it grbs the rotor and wont let go. Anybody hhave any ideas. I do have a spar caliper but I am beginning to think that its NOT the caliper but something else ???? HELP ! ! !

Kevin

+1 ... You are thinking maybe DOT 5 fluid having absorbed water boils and expands and locks the brake on?

Dot 5? I don't know... I use Dot 4.. But, regardless of that Yes, I'm thinking it's just contaminated and needs to be replaced... if it was replaced recently, it's possible the SMC was not drained properly or even the PCV or heck, even the rear caliper is a bit tricky.

SMC on front left caliper....check for freedom of movement and no binding......when rear locks....step hard on rear pedal a few times...that should clear it up... DAMHIK :doh1:

Yep...had it all done on the '06 at 11,000 mi. IT WAS the left front caliper, bolt coming loose. It allowed the Caliper to stay "UP" pressing the slave for the Linked Braking. Check that caliper. Make sure the main pinch bolt is tightened to spec. If that IS okay...it'd almost have to be loose dirt in the pucks or a rear Master Cylinder issue.

Check the secondary master cylinder. This thing is mounted right up on the front fork fully exposed to the elements. Water can intrude and cause the thing to stick. Honda has responded to this issue ,quietly, by altering the drain arrangement somewhat - grove instead of weep hole - but one could still have problems. Since I had problems on my 06 I watch this very carefully as it is the sort of issue that could get you killed if it happened in the wrong place.

Also check to see that the rear stopper bolt is in place, because if it's missing, the rear caliper will be pulled forward and pinch the flexible part of the brake line.

--Mark

Thanks guys for the help. It seems that the "SMC" secondary master cylinder mounted on the front left caliper might be the culprit after what I have read here and on other post. I will keep you guys advised. Apparently Honda has already come out with an updated part. We don't have a problem, BUT, if you do, we have a new part that should help eliminate it from recurring :) .

Kevin

I wonder if they are changing it again or if that many of them have gone bad.

Based on the number of threads about dragging brakes that have popped up in the last month, I'm thinking there's a rash of them going bad.

--Mark

I had a back brake problem last year. I couldn't find a problem so I took it to the dealer and I insisted on them checking the SMC. It was not the problem. They continued to check the system. Seems when I changed the pads I had not cleaned the brake pistons well enough and they would not retract properly. after they cleaned the rear caliper everything was good. Dealer was super good about it. DIDNT CHARGE ME A CENT for the service. Lord Knows I have spent enough there, maybe they were feeling bad about how much they charged me the last time I was there. LOL

By the way, DOT 4 and DOT 5 are not compatable and your brakes fluid should not need changing at 8,800 miles unless it ended up under water. I agree with the left front slave cylinder sticking.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom