2007 Triumph Scrambler

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I needed an unfaired motorcycle for hot weather since I sold my BMW R75/6 last spring. I bought this item from the original owner with only 5,500 miles on it. He was a dirt bike rider and generally afraid to ride on the street, so it didn't get much use. Looks to be in 1st class shape. It came with three seats (stock, this custom, and a solo with rack); two exhausts systems (stock and Triumph off-road); and new Michelin Anakee III tires. My first Triumph after 52 years on 2 wheels.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Congrats. Very nice. I had an 03 T-100 and it was a fun bike, a little under powered and a little under braked but as long as you didn't expect too much out of it, it was a fun ride. You're lucky it came with extar seats, the originals were harder than a pine board lol. Always like the looks of the scramblers.

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Congrats. Very nice. I had an 03 T-100 and it was a fun bike, a little under powered and a little under braked but as long as you didn't expect too much out of it, it was a fun ride. You're lucky it came with extar seats, the originals were harder than a pine board lol. Always like the looks of the scramblers.
The Scrambler has about 3" more legroom than the T100 (but even less horsepower). I test rode a new 2019 T100 on closeout and almost bought it, but I thought it a bit cramped. For what I want it has plenty of power. It replaced a 1976 BMW R75/6 as my hot weather bike. As such it has MUCH better braking and about the same power. The suspension and lighting of the Scrambler are significantly WORSE than the old (but significantly modernized) BMW. The Scram's suspension and lighting will have their turn at upgrades as time goes by.

Old Blue...

Bike
VStrom 650
Like the two tone paint and the pipes look good too.
What's the front number plate all about?
Enjoy Beemerphile, stupid thing to say.
Upt'North.

Bike
VStrom 650
Yes, you can display a front plate on any bike registered prior to 09 01 2001 but you don't have too which means I could legally run one on the BeaST.
They are illegal on bikes registered after that date.
Like you say they petered out in the 70's when it was no longer compulsory to run with two plates.
Upt'North.

The Cheese

Nice bike Lee. Would not have guessed that you would buy a Triumph. Can't wait to see it.

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Nice bike Lee. Would not have guessed that you would buy a Triumph. Can't wait to see it.
@The Cheese C'mon! I am a surprise a minute. Comes with being mental.

@Uncle Phil the heat shields are very effective and the unshielded headers are far enough away or tucked well enough to not be a problem. I was concerned as well until I got some time with it. The high pipes on the later models with a cat converter are much hotter and I would not have been satisfied with that. Lots of people to cat delete on the newer 1200 scramblers. Mine is pre all that.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Congrats on your new bike! I like it.
Did you ride a new T120 or the new 1200 Scrambler? That 1200cc motor and 6 speed transmission is very nice.

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Congrats on your new bike! I like it.
Did you ride a new T120 or the new 1200 Scrambler? That 1200cc motor and 6 speed transmission is very nice.
Yes I did and I agree. The T120 ergonomics don't fit my tall guy problem. I love the 1200 scrambler, especially the XE, but I didn't want to invest that much in this bike. I don't find unfaired bikes to be comfortable over about 70 mph and the 50 hp of the 900 does that quite well. I was specifically looking for an air-cooled carbureted 900. Really, I'm just replacing an old BMW 750 with it. There are two marques that I"d wanted to own before I hang up the helmet. One is the Triumph twin and the other is a Moto Guzzi. I"ll get around to the Moto Guzzi if the Lord tarries and I keep exchanging oxygen.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My
The Scrambler has about 3" more legroom than the T100 (but even less horsepower). I test rode a new 2019 T100 on closeout and almost bought it, but I thought it a bit cramped. For what I want it has plenty of power. It replaced a 1976 BMW R75/6 as my hot weather bike. As such it has MUCH better braking and about the same power. The suspension and lighting of the Scrambler are significantly WORSE than the old (but significantly modernized) BMW. The Scram's suspension and lighting will have their turn at upgrades as time goes by.

Old Blue...

My R100 had the best single bulb headlight I've ever ridden, complete with left side of road cut-off. The Triumph looks nice in blue and white.

OP
OP
beemerphile
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
My

My R100 had the best single bulb headlight I've ever ridden, complete with left side of road cut-off. The Triumph looks nice in blue and white.
Thanks Dave. The quality of the Triumph reflector is very poor, plus it is only 5-3/4" diameter. There is a 7" conversion available made from Bonneville parts as it has a 7" headlight. I like the way the 5-3/4" light looks on this bike and may try replacing the reflector with a Cibie or Hella version and if needed supplement with a small set of LED driving lights. I cleaned the inside of the reflector with alcohol and installed a Philips CityVision Moto H4 bulb that I ordered from England. I've been using them in all my bikes for years (both H4 and H7). Can't get them in the US so I order them from Amazon.uk The turn signals, tail and brake lights, and dash indicator lights are all "Prince of Darkness" quality. It's been said that the three positions on a Lucas headlight switch are "Off, Flicker, and Dim". I don't think these are Lucas parts, but it's fun to poke the badger.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Tiger Roadie 800 did have a very good headlight but it wasn't trying to look 50 years old.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Nice Ride - but the first thing I would do is probably burn my leg on the exhaust! :biggrin:
I used to run a 73 Triumph Trident and wish I'd never sold it.
And yes, those are Converse Tennis Shoes - VLGATT. ;)
^^ This...how do you NOT burn yourself on that exhaust? Nice bike otherwise.

EDIT: Sorry, didn’t see the post about the heat shields.

These are great bikes, I test rode one at Americade and really liked it. I am kind of looking for one locally or possibly a Triumph Tiger 995i. I do have a 1989 Honda Transalp 600 that really checks all the right boxes for me right now. I do admit I do have a wandering eye when it comes to motorcycles. Have fun!

Top Bottom