2008 gl1800 OEM seat question

Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
I know this is a highly subjective question. Are the OEM new seats on the 2001-2017 Goldwings comfortable for long rides ?

The one I have had 96k on it and is worn out as far as comfort. I found this out on a trip down to Southern California to check up on my folks. The first day I left late due to heat and rode 180 miles, pretty uncomfortable after about a half hour. The next day I rode another 100, then stopped and got an air hawk to help out and rode another 679 miles to my destination. I'll just say I left my butt in Oregon someplace.
I stopped at Russell Day Long on the way down and got a ride in build date for mid August. I know that seat works for me.

In the meantime I'm eyeballing an OEM new seat on eBay between $6-700. If the OEM one works I can save some money on the RDL or still have it built and sell the OEM for pretty close to what I paid for it I'm guessing. The motive would be to ride in better comfort before mid August.

Had a 2007 "Audio Comfort" model, and never had an uncomfortable ride ... including the 3 hour journey (2-up) back home after we purchased it.
Our average weekend trips were 3 hours round trip, some 4.
(I'm unclear if "Comfort" model meant some sort of deluxe seating)

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I know this is a highly subjective question. Are the OEM new seats on the 2001-2017 Goldwings comfortable for long rides ?

I stopped at Russell Day Long on the way down and got a ride in build date for mid August. I know that seat works for me.

In the meantime I'm eyeballing an OEM new seat on eBay between $6-700. If the OEM one works I can save some money on the RDL or still have it built and sell the OEM for pretty close to what I paid for it I'm guessing. The motive would be to ride in better comfort before mid August.
Sounds like you have a few options, which is good.

I would be surprised if the OEM Gold Wing seats weren't very good as far as comfort was concerned, the bikes are made for touring and you need a seat "now".
The RDL on the other hand is another very good option, especially since you live close enough to go back fo an adjustment if necessary.
Flip a coin! :)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The only bikes I've ever had that I didn't feel needed aftermarket seats were my 2 GL1800 (2001 and 2005). I did add Utopia backrests to them however as I felt the reach to the bars was a bit much and there wasn't many options for risers back then.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I rented Gold Wings a few times, and found them to be most comfy seats of any bike I had ridden up to then. We did 6-700 mile days on them consistently.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I have a 1989 GL1500 and a 2012 GL1800 and both seats are very comfy. Both have backrests (a major comfort factor for me).
About the only complaint I have is in warmer weather, I wish the seat were made of material rather than vinyl - and this is a minor complaint.
On the 2012, I did install risers on the handlebars which makes a very nice difference. They look like this.

Given the choice, I would like to try a RDY or similar.
The most uncomfortable ride I've ever had was the ST1300 with Sergent Seat. After that it's the OEM seat. Both cause me to slide into the tank no matter the adjustment!

OP
OP
rdmsttrav
Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. After reading through, the decision was easier to make.
I've ordered risers, and an OEM seat on eBay. I can return the seat if it doesn't work for me less shipping. After a nice ride on the ST1300 with the RDL seat I'm going to keep the build date unless the OEM seat really works well. The time in between should be enough to figure it out. My T-Rex arms have me reaching so the risers should help, I can't bring myself to spend on another set of Helibar handlebars at this point. The reach isn't as pronounced as it was on the ST1300. I'll look into the backrest option as well.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Yes, I totally get it. I think you made the right decision.
I also have the Helibars on my 1300. Most wonderful "fix" for my back!
Incidentally I also have the Grasshopper backrest on the 1300 (ebay)

OP
OP
rdmsttrav
Bike
05 ST1300A
STOC #
Just kind of following up, I ended up purchasing the OEM seat new and after a few modest rides found it didn't work well for me. I kept my RDL ride in build date and had one built on 8/16/23. They explain it takes 1000 miles to break it before any adjustments. I rode it 1010 miles to my parents and back home from the build and I think I might need a minor adjustment but overall it's way more comfortable than what I had. I also added the risers and highway pegs which help as well.

Top Bottom