2018 - 2021 Goldwing Basic with Manual Transmission - Anyone Have One?

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Just came back from the dealer, talked with the owner about the two versions. He has had 12 STs over the years, he was very, very happy with the new GW DCT, road Durango area a few weeks back and said it was great. He wasn't trying to sell me, just giving his opinion. The few year older ones he said were not on his list, to clumsy (my words, not his).

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I fit that bill .. purchased a 2021 Goldwing Manual base model (no trunk) 3 weeks ago. Test drove the DCT and Manual before buying and loved them both. Since I was not able to find a new 2018-2020 holdover, I had to go up to a 2021, which meant no DCT or Tour. Only things I miss not having the DCT (or Tour) model are: 1) Reverse; and 2) TPMS. My GW is so much lighter than my last bike (Victory) that I haven't needed the Reverse yet. I knew this before buying this model, but I changed out the shortie windshield to a standard Tour size one last week. New one fits me perfectly, but the Shortie one was making me fatigued.
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you're happy with your choice. I think it's a great looking bike. Hope you get many years of riding enjoyment from it.

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Just came back from the dealer, talked with the owner about the two versions. He has had 12 STs over the years, he was very, very happy with the new GW DCT, road Durango area a few weeks back and said it was great. He wasn't trying to sell me, just giving his opinion. The few year older ones he said were not on his list, to clumsy (my words, not his).
Thanks for the feedback. Do you know if his DCT is a Tour or Basic?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I was able to ride a 2018 DCT for about 1000 miles at 150 to 250 miles each time while riding a 2006 GW, 2015 GW, and my 2005 ST all on alternating weekends. I worked at a Honda dealer at the time and a perk was taking home different bikes every weekend. I was going to buy a Wing and trying to settle on which one. My experience was the 2018 has heavier steering, requiring more bar input to roll into turns, and less ground clearance. Both older Wings had lighter more neutral steering and felt lighter on their wheels when riding winding roads. I preferred riding the older model and my wife preferred the older bikes for passenger room and wind protection. I preferred the new bike’s looks and modern instrumentation but we ended up buying the 06. About 18 months later we rented a DCT Tour in NC for a weekend in the mountains and kind of hoped it would excite us enough to trade up but that was not the case. That was the final comparison between generations for me.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
I’ve just sold my 2021 6sp Bagger, about 4 weeks ago. Been road riding since about 1991 and it’s taken me the best part of 30 years to have the means to buy one (earlier on this year). When you get one, do all the due diligence, join the forums etc you find out that it is not (always) the ‘halo bike’ experience you hoped it would be. There are many happy and satisfied owners but there are also a significant number who have had and continue to have serious faults, niggles, poor reliability and warranty issues with their new bikes. Myself included actually. So, it taints the bike and although there is the warranty to fall back on, trogging back and forth to your dealer is no fun is it?

The bike itself was lovely to ride (IMO) however some owners were very unhappy with the seat, the suspension, the fit and finish, and so on.

If you want one absolutely go for it but do so with your eyes wide open.

I have literally just bought my blue Pan (pic on left) this week as a complete opposite to the GW. No tech, simple, robust. It will do everything I want for about £20k less than that GW cost me.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I will ultimately go for a more deluxe model, not a fan of the F6B or whatever.
But would you mind providing a bit of detail with your reliability and warranty issues?
I seldom hear of such travails with late-model Wings, of any options or trim package.
Thanks much.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
No problem. I would recommend going on/joining one of the more active forums like GL1800 Riders forum (as an example to see for yourself and make up your own mind).

My HSA (hill start assist) warning light came on 3 times on my first ride out. Cutting a story short the dealer took it back in and repaired under warranty (clutch switch at fault) but I lost the bike for a fortnight while the dealer had it. However as a known fault (on the 6sp) it could go wrong again as found out by many other owners.

Then I got a rear tyre puncture and there are no tyres available anywhere (in the UK) to replace it. The last ones were sold for £984 each (profiteering). So that was a huge headache.

In no particular order these are some of the many issues raised by owners of these new +2018 models

Batteries failing without warning - bike dead
Dashboard lights going haywire - bike dead
Electronic fobs not working
Petrol flap switches not working (unable to refill at the gas station)
Pannier switches not opening or locking properly
Suspension being ‘crap’ ( read the threads their descriptions not mine)
TPMS being unreliable
Seat being awful
Final drives not being filled with oil properly from factory
Changing the air filter being a massive job (6-8 hours complete strip down)
Noisy engines with RHS valves being set too loose and clattering
Bikes paint finish being poor and marking easily
General hate towards the Sat Nav and audio not being upto par
Random stalling on some DCT
DCT some love some don't
HSA faulting on some 6sp models
Some bikes drift to the right (hands off bars)

and probably last but not least it seems very common for the dealer experience to be not great so if you have any of the above does the dealer investigate or shrug you off?

Overall, with all that swimming around I decided I didn’t want it anymore. Nowadays basic bikes just don’t exist so I went for a Pan, a bike I owned years ago and really liked/enjoyed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I was able to ride a 2018 DCT for about 1000 miles at 150 to 250 miles each time while riding a 2006 GW, 2015 GW, and my 2005 ST all on alternating weekends. I worked at a Honda dealer at the time and a perk was taking home different bikes every weekend. I was going to buy a Wing and trying to settle on which one. My experience was the 2018 has heavier steering, requiring more bar input to roll into turns, and less ground clearance. Both older Wings had lighter more neutral steering and felt lighter on their wheels when riding winding roads. I preferred riding the older model and my wife preferred the older bikes for passenger room and wind protection. I preferred the new bike’s looks and modern instrumentation but we ended up buying the 06. About 18 months later we rented a DCT Tour in NC for a weekend in the mountains and kind of hoped it would excite us enough to trade up but that was not the case. That was the final comparison between generations for me.
Thank you for your comparative thoughts on the different generations. I read a lot of your posts and appreciate your detail and your overall motorcycle experience when posting, so I'm a tad befuddled at your time on the new GW, especially having tried 2 newer bikes and still having the same thoughts. Maybe the first 2018 ride was a lemon somehow but then riding a 2nd one and feeling the same gives me some cause for pause in my thinking.

Most of the reviews I've read, both professional and owner, seem to indicate the bike handles better and has more ground clearance than the older models. I've had discussions with a couple of owners here who have gone from the ST1300 to the new GW and really like it (but that's not a new vs old GW comparision like your comments).

On the other hand I also know of a couple of new GW owners who have owned one for a while and decided to go in a different direction similar to Bee in post #26 above. Like other things in life - sometimes the more you research the more confusing it gets :)

At the end of the day I'm pretty happy with my ST1300ABS. My consideration of a new GW started because I am looking for a bike that is more comfortable for my wife, rides with a lot less heat, has a lower center of gravity and is common enough to easily find parts and service for the next 10 years or so. I'll go do some more digging in the Goldwing forums as Bee suggests.

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Overall, with all that swimming around I decided I didn’t want it anymore. Nowadays basic bikes just don’t exist so I went for a Pan, a bike I owned years ago and really liked/enjoyed.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience. I found it particularly informative because my initial thinking was to look for a 6sp bagger. Your particular experience is even more dissapointing given that you purchased a 2021, so you would hope that any "new model" issues had been found and resolved since the 2018 introduction.

I owned a ST1100 for 5 years or so before buying my ST1300. The 1100 is a great bike. I hope you enjoy it.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
Thanks Moto-Charlie. There were one or two leftover 2018’s available when I bought mine and TBH exactly as you said I hoped/expected that any first model year gremlins would have been ironed out by the 2021 version. Sadly not. Now it may be the case that that bike (the one I had) will never go wrong again and give tens of thousands of miles of trouble free motoring. I will never know but the killer for me was that the dealers really seem to struggle diagnosing these electrical problems, I have read it’s partially due to how Honda make their bikes and not being able to specifically identify the fault (like modern BMW’s for example) so it’s a bit ‘change out a part and fingers crossed’ that it’s fixed. Whilst under warranty that is just about ok but what about in 18 months time when the warranty is out, what do you do then? Big bills and lots of aggro. I was quite despondent actually and for a week or two after I’d sold it I thought I would just give up on motorbikes for good. I mean where else do you go after a GW? But then I reflected on what I want from a bike, how in years gone by I was perfectly happy with the bikes available and narrowed it down to maybe two or three 1990’s bikes I would like to own again. Simple bikes, pre- Euro regs, pre tech, pre ride by wire etc etc. So I’ve been to see a few and found this blue Pan, 2002 last of the line, very low miles (12k), one owner, bog standard with decent history and lovely condition. So I bought it. Saved a small fortune and now have a lovely bike that I can service, improve a bit but not worry about if it picks up an odd mark or scratch and lastly ENJOY it for what it is.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Reading between the lines, I surmise that if one were to roll the dice and buy a new-ish GoldWing (did I really just use "roll the dice" and GoldWing in the same sentence?!), we should nonetheless stand by and honor that age old bit of wisdom, which tells us to NEVER own just one motorcycle.
You'll want one to ride while t'other is down for repairs or maintenance.
Or, in terms of riding and escape paths, "two is one, and one is none."
'Cuz something is always gonna happen.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thank you for your comparative thoughts on the different generations. I read a lot of your posts and appreciate your detail and your overall motorcycle experience when posting, so I'm a tad befuddled at your time on the new GW, especially having tried 2 newer bikes and still having the same thoughts. Maybe the first 2018 ride was a lemon somehow but then riding a 2nd one and feeling the same gives me some cause for pause in my thinking.

Most of the reviews I've read, both professional and owner, seem to indicate the bike handles better and has more ground clearance than the older models. I've had discussions with a couple of owners here who have gone from the ST1300 to the new GW and really like it (but that's not a new vs old GW comparision like your comments).

On the other hand I also know of a couple of new GW owners who have owned one for a while and decided to go in a different direction similar to Bee in post #26 above. Like other things in life - sometimes the more you research the more confusing it gets :)

At the end of the day I'm pretty happy with my ST1300ABS. My consideration of a new GW started because I am looking for a bike that is more comfortable for my wife, rides with a lot less heat, has a lower center of gravity and is common enough to easily find parts and service for the next 10 years or so. I'll go do some more digging in the Goldwing forums as Bee suggests.
I'm not attempting to compare the ST to the GL or talk you out of a new bike. Far from it. I only speak of what I experienced but at least a couple of print media (magazine) reviews mentioned the additional bar pressure needed to turn the Newwing compared to the Oldwing. One of the rides I posted about here in ST-O was the day three of us swapped back and forth between the 2018, the 2006, and a 2004 ST1300. Same roads, same pace, three bikes, three riders. We all felt the same way about Wing differences after riding all three bikes at least 50 miles each. Dynamically the new Wing was less nimble and touched down parts sooner. Perhaps ridden in isolation it's not easy to notice the difference but after swapping bikes and then going right back down the same road we just rode up delta was apparent. I could be way off base but I believe Wing owners are a different breed of rider compared to sport touring riders. They appear to me after three years in the fold to be overall less sophisticated about motorcycles and riding them. Flame suit on. Sport touring riders from my observation tend to have a roving eye and have experience on a number of motorcycles while a large number of Wing owners tend to own one bike and go into bike ownership like marriage. A sport touring rider moving onto a Wing may carry a lot of experience with him. The 15 year Wing owner maybe not so much. There are outliers of course and that sentiment is not meant to offend the sporting Wing owner that knows the entire performance envelope of his bike.

Any 2001-2021 Wing is lighter to push up off the side stand than a ST1300. They are much heavier but have a significantly lower center of gravity. The 2018 or newer is easier to push up off the side stand than a 2107 or older. They all have the Honda trait of losing weight as soon as the wheels start turning.

Wives have to get the credit for a significant number of Wing sales. It was that way for me..... I brought the 2018 home for the first demo and after my wife rode on the back she started asking "those" questions. "Are you really thinking of buying it?" and said that with a twinkle in her eye and not a scowl. "Does it come in other colors?" Yikes, I was thinking she's giving permission to buy a new bike. My wife had not ridden on my ST1300 in years and after sitting, just sitting mind you, on the back of one in the garage she said "I could go places on this."

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Wives have to get the credit for a significant number of Wing sales. It was that way for me..... I brought the 2018 home for the first demo and after my wife rode on the back she started asking "those" questions. "Are you really thinking of buying it?" and said that with a twinkle in her eye and not a scowl? "Does it come in other colors?" My wife had not ridden on my ST1300 in years and after sitting, just sitting mind you, on the back of one in the garage she said "I could go places on this."
No doubt.
My wife hates all the bikes I've ever had. Motors in general, to be clear, but one time she rode on the back of a friend's 1500, and said "I wouldn't mind riding if I had a back rest and arm rests."
Now, granted, it will be a few more years before I have room for a Wing (or the cash), but even then I doubt she'll ride with me. She's a scaredy-cat.
But it did give me a glimmer of hope that one day, maybe...
I want to get one because I like to watch the drill teams do their thing, and I can see me doing some degree of those maneuvers, at least solo. Can't say I'll ever wheelie one, like a friend of mine who is a multi-time international drill team champion.

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I'm not attempting to compare the ST to the GL or talk you out of a new bike. Far from it. I only speak of what I experienced but at least a couple of print media (magazine) reviews mentioned the additional bar pressure needed to turn the Newwing compared to the Oldwing.
I understand you're just sharing your experience. I was simply saying that I respect your opinion and if you feel that way about it then there must be something to it. During the day I did look for more info comparing the 2017 and earlier GWs to the 2018+ models. In doing so I did find some articles that mention the same things you did regarding slower steering, questionable ground clearance and as Bee mentioned some suspect finishing and quality issues relative to the high standards the GW is known for.

Never having owned a GL1800 Goldwing (I have owned an original GL1000, which I purchased new, fitted with all the Vetter luggage and look back fondly on) I can't speak to the variety of experience that GW riders have compared to Sport Touring riders - but - I would agree with your comments in general based on my Alps Tour business. Part of my sign-up info asks for info on riding experience and bikes owned. GW riders tend to have owned their bikes longer and owned fewer bikes than non-GW riders. BMW riders also tend to be fairly loyal, if their ownership experience has been relatively trouble free. Otherwise they seems split - either very loyal regadless of mechanical issues or tried several and now own something else.

I have to say that I find the looks of the 2018+ GWs more to my liking, but that's not a deciding factor.

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
So I’ve been to see a few and found this blue Pan, 2002 last of the line, very low miles (12k), one owner, bog standard with decent history and lovely condition. So I bought it. Saved a small fortune and now have a lovely bike that I can service, improve a bit but not worry about if it picks up an odd mark or scratch and lastly ENJOY it for what it is.
I too would have been very much down in the dumps if I had waited and saved for a new GW and then had your experience.

I'm happy to hear that your ST1100 is a bike you enjoy. I've always appreciated simple things that work really well for their intended mission. The ST1100 is one of those things. It isn't as simple as an aircooled BMW, but its less complicated for sure than a new GW, which truth be told would be one of my concerns with a GW or even a new BMW R1250RT. If I went the RT route I would look for an older simpler 1200. One of the reason I like my current ST1300 is that it is relatively simple compared to many of the more modern, tech laden bikes.

I need to find a way to test ride a new GW, which I'm guessing will go a long way towards helping me with my thinking. It may take a little while to find a GW to do that with as they are currently in short supply in my area. I'll keep looking.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing Tour
STOC #
Moto-Charlie

Not sure if Honda motor sports dealers in your area have GW1833’s you can rent, but before I bought mine, I did a one day rental from central Maine Honda in Lewiston and put the full 300 mile allotment for a day and ran the Kanc and a variety of roads to really get a feel for the bike. The unit I rented was a full boat airbag dct tour and my 24 hour test ride convinced me to buy a dct tour that I have had zero regrets and total satisfaction.

The rental was not cheap at 180 but worth it, in my mind, with making a major purchase decision.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
It’s normal for engine output to vary between individual machines and individual dyno meters. No two engines will test exactly the same. For something as important as quantitative performance differences between DCT and manual bikes Honda would include it in technical data and press packets. They never have done this on the Goldwing or any of the other 6 motorcycles given the transmission option of manual or DCT.

Since only these two tests were done, these on different engines, and done years apart on different dynos any conclusions drawn cannot be relied upon as factual or highly probable.
They are identical engines other than the transmissions. The loss in power from the DCT is the result of being fluid driven. Cycle World is a reliable source for Dyno Testing. Yes there may be some discrepancy in individual motors built, but not the difference in H.P. and Torque that the Dyno tests read.

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Moto-Charlie

Not sure if Honda motor sports dealers in your area have GW1833’s you can rent, but before I bought mine, I did a one day rental from central Maine Honda in Lewiston and put the full 300 mile allotment for a day and ran the Kanc and a variety of roads to really get a feel for the bike. The unit I rented was a full boat airbag dct tour and my 24 hour test ride convinced me to buy a dct tour that I have had zero regrets and total satisfaction.

The rental was not cheap at 180 but worth it, in my mind, with making a major purchase decision.
That's a good idea - somehow skipped my thinking. I will look around to see what I can find - Thanks

Top Bottom