28 amp alternator swap to 45 amp wiring for a 95 ST1100

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Are any of you familiar with how to convert/change the wiring from a 28 amp alternator to a 45 amp alternator on a 95 Honda ST1100? I have purchased all of the hardware to perform the job but have no idea how to properly swap or change the wiring to make this work.

Bike
82 VF750S Sabre
Check in the ST110 Tech - Alternator subforum. Or the ST1100 articles.

There is a traveling kit with some of the tools you will need. John O (you will find his full handle in the ST1100 forum) manages it, and is a great resource for technical wisdom. George is in Arizona and also knows his way around an ST1100.

OP
OP
Stylo Steve
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
Thank all of you for the information. I'll get on ST-Riders.net and get the information there. Have a great day everyone and thanks again!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The wiring is pretty simple as the 40amper has the VRR built into it. You discard most of the old 28amper’s wiring… the yellow and white leads, and cap the snipped red/white and black leads. And make up a lead to connect the new fuseblock to the battery (or starter-relay/main-fuse unit). Here’s the how-to in the ST1100 AOW (public):

Good luck. You’ll be joining a select bunch of ST riders.

John

Last edited:
Steve;
I currently have the installation kit - John OO will probably be directing me to send it your way.
For the wiring, you'll need 1) a replacement fuse block. I used a salvage one from a later ST. Bolts up and looks like it belongs there:This is the one I bought on eBay
The wiring harness you'll need if you don't already have it is this:
32130-MAJ-G40 - SUB-HARNESS, ALTNTR
I bought one on Partzilla for ~$35 shipped.
You end up scrapping the existing Voltage Regulator/Rectifier along with much of the wiring. The new sub-harness plugs into the new alternator and (+) post, plugs into the existing black 2 wire plug, and the hot lead goes to the fuse block. You then run a short 10 gauge wire to your battery's positive post. When you're done you're going to remark to yourself that the wiring was much simpler than you first thought it would be.
Best of luck!
Lonnie

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Steve;
I currently have the installation kit - John OO will probably be directing me to send it your way.
For the wiring, you'll need 1) a replacement fuse block. I used a salvage one from a later ST. Bolts up and looks like it belongs there:This is the one I bought on eBay
<snip1>
When you're done you're going to remark to yourself that the wiring was much simpler than you first thought it would be.
Best of luck!
Lonnie
There will be a time in the not so distant future when that link to the ended ebay listing will be dead. So here's a screen capture of what that looks like for the benefit of future viewers. :)

1651249704400.png

Top Bottom