2nd Valve Shim change - 59,000 miles

Bike
2008 ST1300
I know I don't understand everything you said but I'm sure glad you take the time to post for those that do. I have a real appreciation for the detail you include in your posts...thanks and keep them coming.

Greg

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is an interesting observation. When I reshimmed some left side valves I did get the exhaust camshaft one tooth off despite making my own Sharpie marks and using the stamped ones on the cam gears and closely following shop manual steps. I caught the mistake during an inspection prior to replacing the valve cover. One gear one tooth off is hard to spot with a glance at the stamped marks. I did not detail it like you did in regards to how the slack in the chain is affected by the cam cover journal but it is likely I ran into the same set of circumstances that results in the gear ending up one tooth off. Since the bike will run well enough like this I wonder how many ST1300's are out there running around like this? Post # 7 below:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?123013-Index-mark-(T1-and-T2)-dont-line-up-with-cam-sproket-marks&highlight=

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
John, I noticed something similar, if'n I caught your meaning correctly. It's a very tight for the chain, even with the slack provided by releasing the tensioner. If some of the slack isn't in both sides of the chain, as the cams are being tightened down, they begin to pull upwards on the chain and one side of the chain comes under tension. I noticed the difficulty and had to reset mine a time or two as well (I forget which sprocket though).

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I had a similar problem on lipSTick when replacing the timing belt last spring. My solution was to roll the (right side) cams forward a half tooth so when the belt tried to fall back the extra tooth it landed in the correct slot. Would such have worked for you?

Bike
2003 ST 1300
One thing that got me was, when I had the timing mark in the sight window dead nuts, the timing marks would be a little scewd on the face of the cam gears. But if I turned the motor just a hair they would line up, but the window timing mark would not be perfectly on. I experienced both the chain climbing over intake sprocket and chain bunching up under crankshaft.

Top Bottom