30K mi on Avon Azaro STs... Whoodathunkit?

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
If what you say is all true, then I just have to say that in over 11 years of operating the ST1100 liST, that is the highest (by at least a factor of 2) mileage I have ever heard of anyone getting out of a set of tires on an ST. With the type of conditions you claim, your mileage should be maxed at about 12,000 if even that.

I'm now firmly in the camp with those who believe you lost track of an intermediate tire change.

Sorry, I just don't believe it.
Don,

I can understand your skepticism but I certainly can vouch for Kirbic and his claim of mileage on this set of tires. We have breakfast together almost every Saturday at a local restaurant and with rare exception (except during the winter of course) both of us have our ST's there. My 1300 and his 1100.

Whenever something of significance comes up with either of these bikes it is always talked about. Things like tire changes, oil changes, other maintenance items, etc. In other words, I know when he has his tires changed. All I can say is that I wish I could get the same mileage that he does but I know that his riding style is different from mine and I like to think that I'm having much more fun than he is!:D

FWIW... I've gotten 12.5K on the original set of BT-020s and about 11K on two sets of Z6's. I'm now trying a set of PR2's and we'll see how long these last.

You can go faster through a corner if you brake early and throttle through the corner. Not to mention it's alot safer. :D
That goes without saying. All braking done before going into the corner, always accelerate out. So I suppose you would call that braking early :) This has worked for the last 31 years, so seems safe enough to me. The race track is another matter, I just can't get myself to push it to that level of really going fast, too many years of learning not to do that on the road for self survival!

Hi Kirbic, great mileage on these tires. I quit bragging about my tire mileage a few years ago when I heard one guy telling another about his mileage. The first guys response,"You must ride like a woman".
Ride Safe !!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Hi Kirbic, great mileage on these tires. I quit bragging about my tire mileage a few years ago when I heard one guy telling another about his mileage. The first guys response,"You must ride like a woman".
Ride Safe !!
That's funny... you don't get good mileage riding like the women riders I have followed...

Mark

Bike
BMW RT, DRZ400
STOC #
TNST
It boils down to number of turns per mile in your area, the texture and sharpness of the stones in the asphalt in your area, how much G force you pull cornering, how firmly you brake, and how far your right hand twists when you accelerate. My normal mileage regardless of bike on a sport tour tire is between 3,000 and 4500 mi. (that includes when I had the ST). Very often that is both front AND rear tires at the same time (the front only being a little less worn than the rear). My air pressures are checked every couple of days too. Some of these guys are miracle workers for sure. :D

I suppose in some areas if you play you pay. The nice thing about abrasive blacktop is you usually stick real nice in the turns though.

Byron

STOC #
I hope you don't expect to get the same mileage out of the Storms? :)

If you can get them into 5 digits you'll be lucky. Then again with the mileage you got on the Azaro you just might do it. :D

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #

If you can get them into 5 digits you'll be lucky. Then again with the mileage you got on the Azaro you just might do it. :D

Still running the Storms, huh Byron? I need to figure out whether to stretch my current set through WeSTOC, or replace them with some miles left. Somehow I don't think I'll make it. ;)

Jim :04biker:

OP
OP
kirbic
Bike
2006 ST1300

Been waiting two and a half years to answer this post, LOL! I just swapped out the Storms on the ST now known as FrankenSTeed (earned for surviving its run-in with the dreaded engine block crack). They were "re-tired" at 24k, and replaced with Storm 2s.

The original storms did not go as far as the Azaros (about 25% less for me). The Ultras look like they may get life like the Azaros but with better grip that the original storms - win win!

OP
OP
kirbic
Bike
2006 ST1300
The original storms did not go as far as the Azaros (about 25% less for me). The Ultras look like they may get life like the Azaros but with better grip that the original storms - win win!
Yep, about 20% less for me on the Storms as compared to the Azaros. We'll see how the Storm 2's play out.

Top Bottom