4:30 AM Crash

STOC #
This is the second fatal crash in two days in PA. This time a bare headed rider, Tracey Price, age 29, went off the road and hit some trees along Route 29 in (I think they said) Luzerne County. Night time has extra hazards, maybe a deer jumped in front of him. Who knows? Attention ladies: If your brother, Dad, Uncle, boy friend, husband or cousin has a motorcycle that he rides without a helmet, hide his keys until he does. I should probably post this on an HD list somewhere, since all of us here wear the gear.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened. A post wouldn't help. "It's just part of riding"

Sad for all those involved.

Very sad. All of us are seeing more people getting on motorcycles to fight the high cost of gas, and hence, the increase in moto accidents. Two weeks ago someone died near where I live and the wife was interviewed; she had bought a helmet for her husband and he wouldn't wear it, she was begging other husbands to WEAR HELMETS!

STOC #
If the guy hit a tree head on, a helmet would not help, other that to allow an open casket. His neck would be broken from the impact, or he could have suffer major internal injuries. There is no mention about the kind of bike, years he has been riding (or if he was a newbie), so we really don't know if this is a tragic accident or pilot error.
I am all for helmet laws - I have used a helmet since I started riding 34 years ago. But helmets only help so much.

If the guy hit a tree head on, a helmet would not help, other that to allow an open casket. His neck would be broken from the impact, or he could have suffer major internal injuries. There is no mention about the kind of bike, years he has been riding (or if he was a newbie), so we really don't know if this is a tragic accident or pilot error.
I am all for helmet laws - I have used a helmet since I started riding 34 years ago. But helmets only help so much.
A Big +1 on that, I sometimes think people put more enfaces on the helmet than on skill and common sence. Accidents happen, not good, but real.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Add another one to the PA total. I think Darwin might have had something to do with this on though. Alcohol involved, 100 mph, no helmet, 11 PM in the city.

Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
Helmets are a wonderful thing.
But some riders wouldn't be helped by a helmet.

Take for instance the guy who wears a helmet because he has to but rides on a crowded highway at full throttle wearing shorts and a tank top, pair of sneakers.

Should that type of rider fall off his bike at highway speed, he's going to wish he were dead. There's when the helmet didn't help any.

Riding a bike is a thinking man's game, and the fun starts when you relax long enough to charge around blind curves on a lean. If you know what the possibilties are and you take a risk, have fun!

Some don't seem to understand where the danger lies and go off oblivious to the possbilities. Now that's just plain stupid! Wear a helmet, and cover anything you don't want torn off by grooved concrete pavement, and always remember that low cut shoes will be the first thing to fly off your body.

I know it's a harsh picture to paint, and most of us here are conscientious, but we have to keep reminding the others. I have two teen aged boys and they will learn first and ride later or they won't ride.

Good ridin' to all of us, and remember to keep telling the others about safe riding habits, if not for themselves then for the loved ones. For crying out loud, no one wants that 4:30 am phone call from the morgue.

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Here in California, a 16 year old was showing off, doing stunts on his crotch-rocket in a parking lot and lost control of the bike, hit a wall and killed himself.

The good news is he was wearing a helmet and he put on a really good show for his friends.

Mandel

lauraleez

Laura Lee
Bike
ST 1300 PA
STOC #
Attention ladies: If your brother, Dad, Uncle, boy friend, husband or cousin has a motorcycle that he rides without a helmet, hide his keys until he does.
Attention Men: If your sister, Mom, Aunt, girlfriend, wife has a motorcycle that she rides without a helmet, hide her keys until she does also.

BleST

Bill S T
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
I've been down 3 times in 33 years. Broke my jaw with a helmet on (NOT a full face). Broke stuff with gear on the other 2 times - but the 2nd time down, I would have been toast without a helmet. My heart goes out to those not so lucky as I - with or without gear. But just in case my gear saves my or someone elses life some day - ATGATT~! <--- I thought I was hearing a duck when I first heard this, but now that I know what it means... ATGATT~!

Bike
ST1300
Here are some somber facts:
Single vehicle motorcycle crashes account for about 45 percent of all motorcyclist fatalities.
Helmet use among fatally injured motorcyclists was below 50 percent.
Motorcycle riders between the ages of 16 and 24 are significantly over-represented in accidents; motorcycle riders between the ages of 30 and 50 are significantly under represented.
Helmeted riders and passengers showed significantly lower head and neck injury for all types of accidents, at all levels of injury severity.
There is no liability for neck injury from wearing a safety helmet; helmeted riders had less neck injuries than unhelmeted riders.
The most deadly injuries to motorcycle accident victims were injuries to the chest and head.
But one thing I know with 100 percent certainty, not one person involved in a fatal or severe injury motorcycle crash has ever thrown a leg over the seat and seriously thought "I think I'll crash the bike today!"
ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMET!

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Instead of a helmet law, maybe we need an ATGATT law... But it probably won't work... people still drive without putting on their seatbelt. I suppose it is true, you can't legislate common sense or morality... :(
:cool:

Top Bottom