40 amp upgrade kits with baseplate now available on eBay

Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
I may have missed this over the past few months, if its a repeat I apologize. But I was hoping to save someone the hundreds of hours I spent trying to find an alternator base to do the 40 amp up grade, so when I spotted this upgrade kit with plate selling on eBay in a Facebook forum, I thought it would be worth posting here, hopefully to save someone from having to wade through a thousand posts like I did.

Attachments

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
HI ALL
I own a machine shop and made 50 of the bases to help out other riders. I have sold 20 so far. I sell just the base and a kit with shaft, bearings and hardware.
The alternators are on ebay also. Ride safe
This is an excellent project! Thanks for taking the initiative and going the extra mile to make it a kit form. This combined with the loaner tools ( which is available when you join ST-Riders) just makes the upgrade much more affordable and easier.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
HI ALL
I own a machine shop and made 50 of the bases to help out other riders. I have sold 20 so far. I sell just the base and a kit with shaft, bearings and hardware.
Hats off to you sir! Thank you for supporting the ST community. Nice to see someone stepping in and providing what mother Honda won't anymore. I think the price quite reasonable as well for a pretty complete kit.

RT

OP
OP
Ned in Utah
Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
HI ALL
Your kit looks great, but having just done my own upgrade, I know how it actually works, so I wonder about your lewis pin chain. That may not work as well as a length of stranded picture hanging wire does, as it needs to be threaded down through a tube of some sort from the alternator plate then through the engine to get it to extend out of the oil drain plug hole and there's not an awful lot of diameter to work with. Not being negative or anything, as I fully applaud your kit, just adding my .02 cents. Thanks for supplying them.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
HI ALL
I got me one of those eBay kits (fz700a ?) just in case I'll need to refurb another pre '96 ST1100 again...
The plate appears exceptionally well made!

Bike
1992 ST-1100
HI ALL
I am very interested in one of your kits, I have checked eBay and one was on there a couple weeks ago but I have not seen anymore. If you could message me or send me an email at Laggogo33@gmail.com.

Tried to find the adapter kit
HI ALL
on eBay and I did not have any luck. Do you have one left?

Bike
1994 Honda ST1100
I have an extremely naïve question to ask regarding the 40amp swap. I purchase complete 40amp alternator with drive gears and all. I have been gathering parts listed to do the (ie adapter plated etc.) swap. I have removed the drive gears from the 40 amp and as I look at the oem adapter plate that comes the with the 40amp and compare it to the adapter plate they are identical (good right?). My question is if one acquires a complete 40amp alternator as I did - do I need to install the new adapter plate as described in the instructions? I attached a photo of the 2 plates (40amp oem on left and new adapter on right).

I was under the impression the adapter plate is necessary but as I look this I am curious. It probably is since so many of these swaps have been completed but .....

Attachments

Hello looks like you have two of the update 40amp plates. You should be all set.
ride safe.

Bike
1994 Honda ST1100
Hello looks like you have two of the update 40amp plates. You should be all set.
ride safe.
So in reality if an individual was able to purchase a complete 40 amp alternator with drive gears as well as the sub-harness is all they actually need. Did need to go through and purchase all the parts mentioned except for the 50 amp fuse holder. Simple enough.

OP
OP
Ned in Utah
Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
newtonhubcap,
As long as it has an adaptor plate with it you should be good to go, but you'll still have to do the 50 amp fuse upgrade.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Edited: If you have the salvage 40amper’s Alternator Shaft Assembly, the base plate is on it, there was no need to disassemble it - it’s ready to plug right in (with a new o-ring). As this is a salvage parts upgrade, I would buy the two big o rings, new stock, for the Alt Shaft Assy-to-engine case, and the Alt-to-plate connections. You should have asked for the salvage wire harnesses too (Alt-to-black 2P and fuse block, and fuse block-to-battery/starter relay unit) - now you will need to buy the OEM wire harness (or fabricate) and must make your own connection to the battery lead. Recommend you also buy the OEM fuse block, it bolts right up.

John

Last edited:
Bike
1994 Honda ST1100
newtonhubcap,
As long as it has an adaptor plate with it you should be good to go, but you'll still have to do the 50 amp fuse upgrade.
Yep! I already got the 50 amp upgrade. just have to find time to do this and other maintenance I want to do prior to riding season. Thank you Ned!

Top Bottom