'91 non ABS front brake feels "rachet-y"

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Sorry about the Rachet-y term. I've noticed in the past couple of weeks, the front brake lever action doesn't seem to feel smooth and seems to go in stages when I squeeze the lever.

The front master was rebuilt a little over a year ago, so I would be surprised it was the master. Do you think it could be the calipers or the hoses? I'm going to flush the whole system first to see if that helps - I think the fluid was also flushed when I rebuild the master just over a year ago.

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
Same here. I'd call it creaky, where it isn't smooth on the initial pull but releasing and re-applying doesn't do it. I though a rebuild was needed, but if you've already done it then I'm stumped.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
If you’ve rebuilt the master cylinder I wouldn’t think the lever would be the problem as that’s part of the rebuild.

So... I’d pull the caliper and check the free and easy movement of the pistons and pins (caliper, bracket, and pads).

John

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm on the fence on this one, I had the same lever issue and a shot of lube into the pivot mechanism seemed to fix it. But I also agree with John's assessment that if you recently rebuilt the master, you'd think the pivot would be free and clean from the rebuild. Maybe when you did the rebuild something didn't get aligned quite right, and its now starting to show symptoms? I'd at least give the lever a second look inside to rule out the lever as the culprit, then proceed to the caliper pistons and the pad pins.

OP
OP
dkruitz
Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Turns out it was a lack of lubrication on the lever to piston connection! We had a TON of rain here in Texas in September and while parked at work, it took a wet beatin'. I lubed up the clutch lever just to be safe too.

Thanks for the help guys!

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Glad you found it..... Had a similar situation three decades ago on a CB900C. Those rubber hoses were expanding so much you could feel them grow in your hand as you applied brake pressure. New brake lines smoothed and firmed up the feel substantially.

JMTCW

T

Top Bottom