91 st not charging with headlamp fuse installed

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
I actually apply some CPU cooler paste on the surface its contacting the footrest plate, aiding the heat transfer/cooling.
Great move, excessive heat is a one way ticket on that solid state stuff.
Cooler paste used to be called heat sink compound on this side of the Atlantic. I don't know how readily available it is around here anymore.........being retired for quite a while & still have some on stock.:)

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
Great move, excessive heat is a one way ticket on that solid state stuff.
Cooler paste used to be called heat sink compound on this side of the Atlantic. I don't know how readily available it is around here anymore.........being retired for quite a while & still have some on stock.:)
Radio Shack has heat sink grease. I use it on my '91.

OP
OP
Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
A final note on this problem. I was able to verify that I had in fact caused a failure to my new in box regulator when I installed it while the wiring in the insulator to the starter relay was unrepaired as commented on earlier. This also caused me to second guess my diagnostics as I had installed a new regulator and it would charge per the manual testing procedures. One good thing that did come from chasing all the wiring was that I did clean and dielectric grease all wiring connections in the ignition and charging systems among others. I was able to obtain a known good vrr on loan and verified that was my problem and installed a replacement today using recommended heat sink grease. I am happy to report the charging system is working well again and I am very much looking forward to riding again soon. Thanks to everyone who offered up ideas and personal experience, maybe this post will help get someone else down the road later, it has certainly expended my own working knowledge a great deal.

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
A final note on this problem. I was able to verify that I had in fact caused a failure to my new in box regulator when I installed it while the wiring in the insulator to the starter relay was unrepaired as commented on earlier. This also caused me to second guess my diagnostics as I had installed a new regulator and it would charge per the manual testing procedures. One good thing that did come from chasing all the wiring was that I did clean and dielectric grease all wiring connections in the ignition and charging systems among others. I was able to obtain a known good vrr on loan and verified that was my problem and installed a replacement today using recommended heat sink grease. I am happy to report the charging system is working well again and I am very much looking forward to riding again soon. Thanks to everyone who offered up ideas and personal experience, maybe this post will help get someone else down the road later, it has certainly expended my own working knowledge a great deal.
I think we all call that "experienced"~! Never hurts to pay it forward to others, now go ride .;)

Top Bottom