91 ST1100 Harsh ride

Bike
1991 ST1100
I notice that the ride on my 1100 seems harsh, even road snakes give more of a jolt than I remember from my previous ST. It's not horrible, but I remember my old ST being much smoother. (I just got this bike last fall, and with winter, I've only ridden it less than 100km so far).
I've tried moving the preload from minimum to maximum and back but there doesn't seem to be much difference. I'm pretty sure the suspension isn't bottoming out. It has about 120,000 km
Could it be that the shock is NFG?

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Could be! The original Showa only had a life of between 35k>50k miles (56k>80km)- that's if you were lucky! Can you see any evidence of a leak or hear a 'slurping' noise as you get it on the centre stand?

Bike
2005 st1300
First thing to do is try to identify the spring on the shock. Is it factory?, is it aftermarket?, is it the proper spring for your weight? The previous owner could have had the suspension tailored for his weight, which could be significantly more than yours. My suspension has been set up for a 265 lbs rider. If a much lighter person rode it, they would likely have the same complaint you have. As far as the front end, you would have to pull the springs and look to see if there are some numbers stamped on them. Can you say if one end of the bike seems harsher than the other? The front end could have a high oil weight or level. If the forks have been out, they may be out of alignment, causing binding. Is the rear preload cranked up? These are a few things to look for first. Also, being in Ontario and with so few miles on your new ride, is it possible that the weather has been cold during the ride(s) that you have noticed the harshness... suspension will be firmer when it is cold.

OP
OP
buceador
Bike
1991 ST1100
Nope, no leaks, and the only weird noise I hear when putting it on the center stand is my grunting :rofl1:
That's true, it's been pretty cold on those rides

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
one more vote for fork oil. If you don't know what's in there, and how much, that's the first place I'd start.

edit: if its been really cold on your few rides, I'd probably wait until the temps are more moderate and give it one more test ride to see if anything changes. Since I live in a warm climate area I can't provide any insight into how suspension fluids change with cold temps.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I was thinking a worn out shock would give you a bouncy ride instead of harsh. That being said my motorcycle definitely does not ride like it did when it was new. On certain roads it rides rougher. I have had wheel bearings replaced and front fork oil replaced did not make any significant difference. I'm just chocking it up to old age. Just like a 20 year old car isn't going to ride show room smooth no matter how much money you throw at the suspension. What did make a slight difference was reducing the front tire air pressure to 35 and 40 in the rear tire.

Bike
VStrom 650
+1 Tyres. How old are they.
Have you checked pressures and general condition.
If it is the original shock, it'll be toast.
Upt'North.

Bike
2004 ST1300
If it's a stock shock check the rebound setting inside the small hole at the top of the right side body panel. If it's cranked all the way clockwise you would feel a harsh ride. Follow the directions in your owners manual to set it and your spring correctly.

If you think it's the front end causing the problem then it's forks off for an oil change and bushing inspection.

Top Bottom