'94 st1100abs alternator.....OIL COOLED...????

Hi everybody!

The stator in my '94 st1100abs has roasted itself. I was very concerned to find the stator housing filled with oil when I took it off....I thought that an oil seal had failed in the shaft assembly.

Then I read on here that the alternators in these bikes are oil cooled. So do I understand correctly that its normal to have a LOT of oil in the stator cover....??

Thanks in advance for your comments!

--Jim

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
yes, it's perfectly normal for the Pre-'96 ST-1100s. The entire alt assembly is bathed in engine oil....it's a very common arrangement, even on some newer bikes.
I upgraded my '95 ST about 2 years ago and the 40 amper alternator is NOT oil-cooled, but air-cooled and looks like a unit you'd find on your car.
Search around this site and you'll find plenty of pictures of both.
Regards,
Mr. BR

OP
OP
yes, it's perfectly normal for the Pre-'96 ST-1100s. The entire alt assembly is bathed in engine oil....it's a very common arrangement, even on some newer bikes.
I upgraded my '95 ST about 2 years ago and the 40 amper alternator is NOT oil-cooled, but air-cooled and looks like a unit you'd find on your car.
Search around this site and you'll find plenty of pictures of both.
Regards,
Mr. BR
Many thanks. It was hassle enough getting the stator off (swingarm and all) ... but then I thought the shaft assembly needed to come off...and the manual gives one to believe that the engine has to come out for that ...!! So knowing that its normal to have all that oil in the stator improves my mental health a lot...!!

Thanks again...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Then I read on here that the alternators in these bikes are oil cooled.
Absolutely correct, which is why the pre '96 models also have an additional circuit & plumbing in the cooling system, feeding an aux oil cooler on the oil filter base, dealing with that bit of extra heat the stator winding transfers into the oil.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Jim,
There is much excellent documentation, and even traveling tool kits, available for performing the 40 amp alternator upgrade to the pre-96 ST1100. If your stator is cooked, it's probably the "better" way to go.

Upgrading will give you the flexibility to add most any electrical farkle you desire without concern of overtaxing the charging system.

Top Bottom