'95 ST1100 40 amp alternator upgrade update

Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
I thought I will give you guys a quick update on my 40 amp upgrade.

Thanks to all the information contained on this website as well as the info on the ST Riders, it all went pretty smooth. Squeezing the alternator between frame bars was a little frustrating, but in the end it somehow fit in. The Lewis pin needed a serious jerk to pull out of the split gear, but eventually it dislodged and came out from oil drain hole without an issue.
I only have two concerns; one, the alternator kit I bought came with a double shielded (not sealed) bearing, the front one. I hope it will get enough oil to last for a while. The original one had a single shield.
The other concern is that when I tried to start the bike up after the install, the engine struggled to turn over. After trying a couple of times it drained the battery but after I connected a portable jumper it started ok. The alternator gears engaged inside the engine during assembly without an issue, so this is something that is sitting in the back of my mind. Why would that happen?

I want to express my most sincere thanks to all those before me who dedicated their time to document this procedure for our benefit. Without their knowledge and willingness to share their experiences it would not be possible to accomplish this upgrade. Thank you!

Attachments

OP
OP
Jerbear
Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
Assuming you'd taken the alternator apart, did it rotate freely after reassembly?
Both the output shaft and the alternator rotated smoothly before I bolted it to the adapter plate.

Bike
VStrom 650
Are you sure the battery was correctly charged?
Have you run it long enough since the upgrade to charge the battery?
Has it started alright since running?
How old is the battery?
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Jerbear
Bike
'95 ST1100, '02 919
Are you sure the battery was correctly charged?
Have you run it long enough since the upgrade to charge the battery?
Has it started alright since running?
How old is the battery?
Upt'North.
Yes, the battery is month old. It sits on a battery maintainer whenever the bike is parked. Now after few startups it starts and runs ok. However my mind is fixated on the first startup and the difficulty of getting it going. Maybe its just me being a worry wart.:think1: The output at the battery is a consistently around 14V.

Top Bottom