A battery issue (courtesy of an Amazon seller)

OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Plastics of the battery were fine as was the shipping box. Only the terminals were mangled. I suspect the batteries are made and shipped from China and the seller, allegedly in the US (California) acts as an agent to get them to the buyer without ever seeing the product. I could be wrong about that but as I indicated, the shipping container was not damaged, so whoever packaged the battery either wasn’t paying attention or didn’t care what they were packing.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Amazon does have a feedback offering but I don't know many who pay any attention to it. I'd leave a 1-star review.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Amazon does have a feedback offering but I don't know many who pay any attention to it. I'd leave a 1-star review.
There has been a fair amout of press about fake reviews - the reviewers are rewarded by Amazon w/ discounts and free merchandise in exchange for positive reviews - on Amazon. Supposedly A has curbed that practice. And the moon is made of green cheese. I usually read the 1 and 2 star reviews, and occasionally 3 star. Rarely do I even skim the 4's and 5's.

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Amazon does their own deliveries now. You can actually buy yourself a "franchise" for $20K. They even finance the truck.

And I'm surprised at the seller. My wife and I have never had 1 issue with an Amazon return. Your problem was you dealt with the seller, not Amazon.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I bought a new Yuasa battery last year. The bottom of the box was soggy when the UPS driver left it. The acid from the tubes that you pour into the battery had leaked out of two tubes. Called the place I ordered it from (Revzilla?) and they had me send them a picture and I had another one in a couple of days. Told me to throw the other one away.

OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Amazon does their own deliveries now. You can actually buy yourself a "franchise" for $20K. They even finance the truck.

And I'm surprised at the seller. My wife and I have never had 1 issue with an Amazon return. Your problem was you dealt with the seller, not Amazon.
This is true, but when I went to arrange the return, it was only allowed through the seller, not via Amazon (I guess the seller is retailing under the Amazon umbrella, but there was no option for a typical Amazon return- I’ve done 2 of those recently, and all I had to do was box the items up, take them to Kohl’s, and they got them back to Amazon without me having to ship back to Amazon- pretty painless actually. I wanted to do this with the battery, but it wasn’t an option). It’s like I said initially...this experience could be common or one in a million. It’s all solved now so I’m satisfied with the return and the fact the bike is back to baseline with a new battery.

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Maybe I missed it but that battery seems to be in fine shape except for the terminals (and yes, I realize that's a big deal). Given that the battery itself is fine, I'd say the terminals were deliberately damaged similar to demilled firearms.
This might well be as the B+B guy said– a factory second due to be recycled/destroyed. And somebody got a hold of some of these and tried to fob them off as new. Or just some really sloppy work on the part of the vendor....
For what it's worth, that reminds me of an experience I had buying outdoor covers for my ST1100s. The covers were advertised on ebay with a price about US $20. Since they were coming from China, I bought two to be shipped together. They looked like the same thing I could have gotten at Walmart for about the same money, but each seemed to have a small defect.

I left positive feedback for the seller but commented in it that these covers might be factory seconds. That seller quickly stopped advertising ST1100 covers using the same ebay user name. A new user name appeared, selling what looked like the same covers at the same price. Maybe I figured out their secret, and they did not like seeing that secret let out in public. It was many years ago ....

If someone had lots of idle time on their hands, they could test the OP's mangled battery to verify that it was indeed electrically defective, a factory's mistake.
... Amazon ... I usually read the 1 and 2 star reviews, and occasionally 3 star. Rarely do I even skim the 4's and 5's.
I'm the same way; I do that a lot for items I've no intention to buy on Amazon. (I type the name of the product, then add the words "review Amazon" and do a web search to find the product's reviews on Amazon. That's why I recommend that the OP post a 1 star review that mentions his particular seller by name.)

Last edited:

DaveWooster

Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
I think I found this battery on Amazon.
There are six critical reviews for it, but only the last one says that it "came damaged".
(Nobody says that it might have been a factory second.)

DaveWooster

Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Erdoc48, the seller's name on the one I found on Amazon is the same as the brand, Weize. And it says it ships from Georgia, USA.
Does that sound the same as the seller that sold the bad one to you? (The price is now US $43.)
It may not be the same seller because you said above that your seller was in California, and was not the Chinese manufacturer.
I did find this three star review for the Amazon item in my previous post just above:
"I bought this after reading other reviews and saw that some people said the terminals came bent. The price was low enough that I wasn't too worried. My terminals also came bent, so that made it difficult to hook up. Other than that the battery works great."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erdoc48

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I think mine came from California...it’s probably not too common to have the terminals that damaged (maybe 1 in 10 or so, but that would be an unacceptable rate of damage) but I wouldn’t make a similar purchase in the future- you get what you pay for I guess.

Top Bottom