A bit of a project

Bike
2000 ST1100
IMG_20200116_093452616_HDR.jpg
It's a 2009 DR 650se. I bought a new one in 2011 and have kind of regretted SELLING it, so when this one came up for sale at a great price i jumped on it, lest I regret not doing that as well. It came with a boatload of extras so I think it might be a fun project. Off to the DMV tomorrow. Cheers for now.
Edited to add one word omitted, hopefully it make more sense now. Thanks for the catch ibike2havefun.

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I bought a new one in 2011 and have kind of regretted it since, so when this one came up for sale at a great price I jumped on it, lest I regret not doing that as well.
Wait, what? You bought one and regretted it, so you bought another one because you were afraid you might regret NOT buying it? If you regretted buying one (presumably because you didn't particularly like it?), why would choosing to NOT buy another one cause regret?

I'm sooooooooo confuuuuuuuuused! (But then again that is typical for me.)

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I have the same full FMF exhaust system on mine. I’m sure the air box mod and carb rejet has already been done. Do you know if the NSU neutral safety switch has been taken care of? And the chain roller been removed?
DRRIDERS is a very good forum for information and help. It is a lot like this one. Very friendly and helpful
Enjoy your new toy! They are great bikes!

OP
OP
Chunk
Bike
2000 ST1100
I have the same full FMF exhaust system on mine. I’m sure the air box mod and carb rejet has already been done. Do you know if the NSU neutral safety switch has been taken care of? And the chain roller been removed?
DRRIDERS is a very good forum for information and help. It is a lot like this one. Very friendly and helpful
Enjoy your new toy! They are great bikes!
Yes, the air box mod is done, and it has a tm-40 flat slide Mikuni on it. It runs really well from the little I've ridden it. It seems to have more poop that my first one in stock form. I wanted to get it through the Ca. DMV first. I did that today, it was an AZ. bike, so i was braced for problems, but 1-1/2 hours later and 3 people, I have a Ca. title and plate. The chain roller is removed. No record of the neutral switch being looked at, I remember being a potential issue that from 2011 when I had my new one. Let the fun begin.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I never got around to changing the carb. I understand that really helps.
I put a set of peg lowers on mine. That made it so much more comfortable. I also installed a fork brace. And this that and everything else. I bought mine and spent a lot of money on it over the winter. I’ll take this and I’ll take that. Money I’ll never get back out of it. I was working a ridiculous amount of overtime at the time.
I need to sell mine. I have too many bikes and I just don’t ride it enough. Somebody is going to get a good buy at my loss.

OP
OP
Chunk
Bike
2000 ST1100
Well, I couldn't take the racket of that FMF pipe, at least 96db, likely more, and the ratty hole in the top of the airbox, and the Mikuni tm-40 carburetor that didn't fit properly so I rebuilt the stock carb, fixed the airbox and put the stock muffler back on. All the old parts were included, so just a few "O" rings for the carb, and new Suzuki bolts for the exhaust system and I was in business. What a relief, Now just a purr at idle, and now i can hear that motor. I know some folks are really into mods, just not my thing. Some pics of what I've been up to. DR stock_ 001.jpgdr650 airbx hole_001.jpgair box snorkel_001.jpg

OP
OP
Chunk
Bike
2000 ST1100
I woke up about 04:00 this morning and around an hour later, since it was almost 50F I decided to go put a few miles on the new to me dr650. What a nice time to ride, sun was just appearing over the mountains when I got back. That's the way to start the day. Cheers.

Top Bottom