ABS Module

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
Has anyone heard of one going bad? my ABS light started flashing when i went on a ride on saturday. i retrieved the codes and there is no code....that is...the light does not flash, just stays on, no matter whether checking front or rear. service manual says to do several long steps <take a lot of plastic off> and check for shorts or open circuits. if there is no such short or open circuit, its the abs module. found used ones online for about 100 bucks gonna see what a new one cost. anyways, just thought i would post this to see if anyone has had the problem and if not, might have one here. will post results when replacement abs module is installed as to whether that was the cure.

part is also known as abs control unit

Last edited:
OP
OP
RideTN
Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
TERRY - Check your battery connections. I know on the ST1100 if they are loose or corroded, the ABS does funny things.
hey UP, thanks for the tip. battery looked good and power to the module checked out correctly. bummer as a new one was listed at over 900 dollars. found a used one for 89 dollars shipped. will post up if the replacement module/control unit does takes care of it.

OP
OP
RideTN
Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
ok folks.....the replacement abs module/control unit was the cure. so far as i can tell on this and the other st related sites this is the first st1300 abs module/control unit to go bad. bike has around 25,000 miles.

Byron

STOC #
ok folks.....the replacement abs module/control unit was the cure. so far as i can tell on this and the other st related sites this is the first st1300 abs module/control unit to go bad. bike has around 25,000 miles.

Glad the problem is solved but have a question; How often do you change the brake fluid/flush the system?

I don't know the climate where you live but was thinking that if moisture got into the system parts could have corroded and stopped working and thus cause the malfunction light.

OP
OP
RideTN
Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
hey byron, bought the bike sept 2007 and changed the brake fluid right after just because it was no 03 model and thought it would be a good idea. the fluid did not look too bad. the bike only had about 3000 miles on it as i recall when i purchased it from an older gentleman who had kept it garaged when not ridden. he did live in houston, tx where they have a touch of humidity. i have not changed the brake fluid since. (i know, shame on me). :)

Glad the problem is solved but have a question; How often do you change the brake fluid/flush the system?

I don't know the climate where you live but was thinking that if moisture got into the system parts could have corroded and stopped working and thus cause the malfunction light.

Bike
2003 ST1300 ABS
hey UP, thanks for the tip. battery looked good and power to the module checked out correctly. bummer as a new one was listed at over 900 dollars. found a used one for 89 dollars shipped. will post up if the replacement module/control unit does takes care of it.
I think I blew my ABS unit out this weekend. Can you tell me where you found one for that cheap? I keep reading and clearing the codes to have it read #13 again and again. According to the manual this is the ABS unit. Will do more testing this weekend when I have more time but just in case, can you point me in the direction of under $100 ($900 just does not sound worth replacing). Thx!

Bike
2005 ST1300
The ABS light come on & stayed on on my 05 when it had 1200 km's on it.Honda replaced the ABS module under warranty
That and a fork seal are the only problems I've ever had in 55000 km's

OP
OP
RideTN
Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
I think I blew my ABS unit out this weekend. Can you tell me where you found one for that cheap? I keep reading and clearing the codes to have it read #13 again and again. According to the manual this is the ABS unit. Will do more testing this weekend when I have more time but just in case, can you point me in the direction of under $100 ($900 just does not sound worth replacing). Thx!
Ebay!!! i would also call salvage yards. i cannot remember where it was but i think i found a second one in that way but bought the one on ebay. good luck!!

Bike
Honda 919
Good Evening, I'm new to this forum and new to ST. Currently have 919 that I'm trying to sell and make a switch to ST. The question is regarding the ABS module. There is an st1100 for sale that I'm looking at, and it has faulty ABS/TSC module. Dealer wants $1500 for new module installed. I found a module on ebay for $349. How difficult is it to replace it? I'm pretty handy.
Thanks.

Top Bottom