ABS timing ring - can it be painted or coated ?

Bike
ST1100AY
I'm just getting my ST1100 ABS rings soda blasted to try and remove the awful staining that doesn't seem to want to come off . Was thinking it would be good to paint or coat them to prevent this happening again but then I remember reading about the tight sensor clearances , has anyone painted or coated theirs ?

Edit, my post was moved to the ST1300 forum by a moderator, hopefully the same applies on ST1300 !

Last edited:

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
The ABS system uses a Hall Effect sensor, which (basically) detects the mass of the teeth in the ring as they move past the sensor.

I don't think there is much benefit to be gained from painting or coating the sensor ring. Once you clean it up, it will stay cleaned up for the remainder of the useful life of the motorcycle.

Michael

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Cleaned and painted mine black (ST1300) with a hand brush. Shouldn’t have any impact on the operation because the ABS timing ring‘s teeth are rather large and the thickness of paint is so small. The paint thickness to teeth spacing is Magnitudes of difference that it shouldn’t make a difference. Mine works fine.

if it was compromised, the system should post an error:
  • ABS model combines with LBS for a wide range of braking and steering control. ABS features an electric-motor-driven modulator that gives quick, precise braking pressure adjustments and smooth ABS operation. The system incorporates an integrated ECU controller, self-diagnostics with an interactive ECU test function, and automatic protection against system failure.
Reference: https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/ST1300_f.html

More detail on how the timing wheel is used to create a control signal:

“It is used to calculate the acceleration and deceleration of the wheel. It consists of a toothed wheel and an electromagnetic coil or a magnet and a Hall Effect sensor to generate signal. When the wheel or differentials of the vehicle rotates, it induces magnetic field around the sensor. The fluctuation in this magnetic field generates voltage in the sensor. This voltage generated sends signals to the controller. With the help of the voltage the controller reads the acceleration and deceleration of the wheel.”

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
The sensor is triggered by the high and low points on the gear like sensor ring. Their is a clearance called out for the air gap between the ring and the sensor. The thickness of the paint would increase the spacing between the metal ring and the sensor surface. I don't know what the manufacturer's range distance of the sensor is. A light coat of paint probably wouldn't hurt.

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Dirt, mud, rain, rust has probably more thickness than a paint coat. This is probably why these teeth are spaced so wide. Again, the system should post an error if there was an issue with timing sensing.

My bikes rings were ocean air corroding so I cleaned and painted them. Probably wouldn’t have affected their operation any had I not cleaned them, but they were ugly IMHO so they got some loving.

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Mine got quite rusty, I wire brushed it and repainted with some good wheel paint. Looked much better.

OP
OP
aSTerix
Bike
ST1100AY
Thankyou for the replies, I will give them a light coat of black caliper paint after cleaning, that way they will match my calipers and rotors and will hopefully be a lot easier to clean

Top Bottom