Actual wet weight of the K1600GT with bags

Someone was looking for the actual wet weight of the K16GT with bags. I weighed an empty bag from my K16GT today and it registered about 10.8lbs. Therefore, this put the actual wet weight of the K16GT at around 724-725lbs. Real close to what my ST weighed. I'm amazed with all the equipment that it does not weigh more.

As an aside, there were also some questions here about what actual fuel economy might be. So far I have averaged 42.7. Now let me qualify because that is city, hwy (80 mph+), and several hundred break in miles of rolling on and off the throttle.

Only gripe so far is not enough time off.;)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Add the little bit more that 10% of the gas capacity weighs if you want to.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Judge,

I'm interested in your riding impressions compared to the ST. I was amazed too at the similarity in weight given features, etc. I have a firend who rode one before he bought a 2012 GL; he didn't like the slipper clutch or throttle hesitation. Of course he didn't like riding my ST either, so any info you can provide by way of a direct comparison would be mucho appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

OP
OP
Judge
Judge,

I'm interested in your riding impressions compared to the ST. I was amazed too at the similarity in weight given features, etc. I have a firend who rode one before he bought a 2012 GL; he didn't like the slipper clutch or throttle hesitation. Of course he didn't like riding my ST either, so any info you can provide by way of a direct comparison would be mucho appreciated. Thanks.

Dan
Interesting. I don't notice any throttle hesitation. If anything the opposite applies in the Dynamic mode, where I find it to be a bit too twitchy at tip in. I'm really nit-picking there though.

The slipper clutch is fine, but propbaly requires a bit of getting used to it's feel. Now and then I will feel a slight pulse in the clutch if I disengage it real slowly or keep pressure on the lever. Again, really nit-picking to even make the observation.

Compared to my ST. Here are some observations:

Starting with features, I have grown to love ESA. I never have to compromise with a suspension setting anymore. With the tap of a button I go from a nice soft slab setting to a firm setting for twisties. No pulling over, no muss, no fuss. This feature makes riding much more enjoyable. Same goes for cruise control. This is another must have for me, and it baffles me why bikes like the ST, Concours, etc. don't offer it.

My GT has the stereo, which is okay I suppose. However, sound quality above 80-90mph is quite poor. I am going to utilize the GT's bluetooth capability moving forward. I will say I really like the way the stereo, navigation and other features integrate. I hated having to build com systems etc for my previous bikes. Everything is very simple to access and use with the thumb wheel.

Wind and weather protection are quite a bit better on the GT. The swing out cooling fins are nice on hot days, and work nicely. Beleive it or not the factory seat is the best I have ever experienced. I'll still buy a Russell, but it's not an intitial must have.
Ergonomically, the riding position is more relaxed than the ST. I find the ergonomics are more comfortable for me. Long days in the saddle on the GT are almost too easy.

Engine wise, the I6 really steals the show. It's amazingly smooth, but at the same time has a really cool character to it. It feels very refined, but visceral, and conveys a very relaxed feeling. Roll on power is quite impressive, and I am averaging around 42 mpg with break in and some spirited riding.

As for handling, I still cannot figure out how this bike handles so lightly. It has lighter steering than my K13GT...amazing! Compared to the ST, the K16GT is a more stable bike, and has nicer handling capabilities. I know I have found some more speed in the corners.

My only nits, and they are a bit petty, is that the gearbox makes more noise during shifts than I would like, and on a really hot day, I do feel a waft of engine heat on my left ankle/calf.

In the words of Ferris Bueler, I say this. "It's so choice....if you have the means, I highly reccomend picking one up":03biker:

Top Bottom