Adventure tyres for the ST ?

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I recently returned from a one week ST tour in my favourite riding country in northern New South Wales. Many of the roads I travelled are in very poor condition following months of rain and floods.
So extensive is the road damage with washouts, pot holes, broken and muddy surfaces, while riding I thought I really need a GS rather than an ST - an unlikely change for me though.

On further thought I wondered if a 90/10 or 80/20 type adventure tyre on the ST might be beneficial in these road conditions but still provide good road performance.

Are there any views please on fitting adventure type tyres on the ST? Have owners done so?

Thank you, D

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
The last time I (briefly) looked, either Mitas E-07 or Heidenau K60 fitted, but these are probably a bit aggressive for the ST (Noisy, heavy, incredibly stiff and difficult to fit, and the rear especially will be physically larger than the equivalent road tyre. That said, they wear well, and probably handle the weight fine. I used to run them on my v-strom which did plenty of off-road stuff, and I could still drag pegs on dry tarmac).

Perhaps the Anakee wild?

You'd have to be careful with speed and load ratings, unlikely that the more knobby tyres would match what the ST nominally requires.

OP
OP
Duporth

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
The last time I (briefly) looked, either Mitas E-07 or Heidenau K60 fitted, but these are probably a bit aggressive for the ST (Noisy, heavy, incredibly stiff and difficult to fit, and the rear especially will be physically larger than the equivalent road tyre. That said, they wear well, and probably handle the weight fine. I used to run them on my v-strom which did plenty of off-road stuff, and I could still drag pegs on dry tarmac).

Perhaps the Anakee wild?

You'd have to be careful with speed and load ratings, unlikely that the more knobby tyres would match what the ST nominally requires.
Thank you Matt. Yes a few technical aspects to sort out to see if the idea is feasible. It came to me as I was dodging potholes, mud etc.
I survived the ride anyway, so my Pilot Road 5 GTs got me through with careful and attentive riding.

Cheers, D

Josh_ST

I love my 2 wheeled therapy machine!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I wondered if a 90/10 or 80/20 type adventure tyre on the ST might be beneficial in these road conditions but still provide good road performance.
Yeah, I'm sure that an off-road, adventure type tire would significantly improve ST performance on dirt roads, washouts, pot holes, and broken and muddy surfaces.

All you need to do is match the tire up with an appropriately sized set of leg muscles to enable you to keep the 700 pound plus ST upright when you travel on those surfaces.

You'll also need a pair of legs like this:
biggest-legs-in-bodybuilding-jan22.jpg

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
From the specs the front Scorpion doesn't meet the weight load requirement, and neither meets the speed requirement - although I'd never do z speeds on a dirt road regardless of a tire's "rating"

Josh_ST

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
Well, good catch @Obo on the weight specs, maybe I won't keep it on there then!

Josh

Bike
2010 ST1300
My STeed came with a Pirelli Scorpion fitted to the front.
There is nothing you can do about the weight, as far as a speed rating, I don't think I have ever had any bike up to the speed rating of the tire mounted on the bike. Just because a tire has a speed rating below the bike's capabilities does not mean you have to test it by riding at or above that speed. Especially with an 'adventure' type tire.

What lights do you have mounted on your bike in the picture? LED?

Josh_ST

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
2024 Miles
What lights do you have mounted on your bike in the picture? LED?
Yes, they are LEDs of some sorts. They were also there from the PO. I have bought some of the little LEDs that @spiderman302 recommended in his post, but I haven't had time to switch them out. His recommendation have a very nice cutoff line for on coming traffic, where the ones I have mounted seem to be a very harsh flood. Yes, I want to be seen, but I also don't want to blind oncoming traffic.

Josh

Top Bottom