Advice on purchase / Things to look for

Howdy all,

I am in the process of purchasing a used Honda ST-1300. This one happens to be a 2009 and I can get it for a fairly good price imo ($3000)
The only thing that worries me is the mileage, can I expect the ST to be a great bike even though it has 105,000 KM on it?

Are there known issues / things to look out for when purchasing a ST1300?

Thanks for your input! I will more than likely buy it, just looking for opinions.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
105,000 KM on it
Welcome, a ridden bike is better than a sitting bike. Some much wiser people will be around shortly to discuss the in and outs, unless it's been ridden hard and put away wet, you are probably in good shape. There are lots of high mile STs on the road. Any pictures, they can help-people here see things obvious? Good luck.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The only thing that worries me is the mileage, can I expect the ST to be a great bike even though it has 105,000 KM on it?
Worry? 105, 000? That's almost new. That is nothing on an ST. At that mileage it is just reaching completion of its break-in.

Have a look through the below article to get an idea of some things to look out for. Come back after with any questions it may have raised in your mind or on how to check for some of those issues if you are unsure.
Maintenance Items Needed for a New (old) Bike

Bike
2010 ST1300
Things to look for: maintenance records - first and foremost how often was the brake fluid changed. The secondary master cylinder (SMC) tends to clog and lock up the rear wheel if the fluid is not changed regularly. You cannot rebuild it - those who have tried have mostly failed. Rear splines, if not lubed with the appropriate moly paste can wear quickly - but unless you are allowed to pull the wheel, clean them to do an inspection, you won't be able to see them. At 14 years, I would think the windshield raise/lower mechanism might have to be cleaned, lubed, and rebuilt. Someone else has just responded so I'll shut up. You might read this article for some other areas that need attention:

Lol, Andrew beat me to it....

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The 2009 has the updated SMC and front brakes and calipers, and the differrent (better) engine mapping which eliminates the tendency to pink and gives much gruntier feel at low revs. (It climbs hills better). 105,000 km is about 65,600 miles. Mine is an 109 model - bought new in Sept 2013 and now has 62,000 miles on the clock. If I was seelling it, I would hope to be able to get about £3000 for it. I don't know if I could, but 3000 Can $ is about £1800, it sounds like it may be well worth considering.

I'd be looking at needing to replace brake discs, caliper piston seals and SMC. Possible the rear caliper. I'd also be looking at the front fork seals, and the state of the brake lines where they join the banjo unions. Wheels could be rather the worse for wear. Here in the UK, I'd also be looking at the radiator for amount of corrsosion.

A nice smooth sounding engine would be nice.

There will be things that will wear out on a bike this age, and you need to be prepared for that. But for comparison, I had the money to go after a new touring bike a few months ago. I was looking at BMW, but would have to trust the servicing to the dealers. I decided that I wouldn't get the mileage out of it and decided to stick with what I know, love and can put right if it fails.

But mine has been outing all weathers on UK salted and gritted roads, it has been pretty well maintained and it is still looking good, I love riding it and it still feels like a new bike to me.

I've fitted a new SMC (precaution - the old one was perefect as it happens, and I have kept it as a spare), new rear suspension (we ride 2-up with camping gear), and I am just about to fit new discs. It has also needed a new radiator.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Sounds like a real good deal. I have an 08 and wouldn't let it go for that price. 100,000 kms is very little mileage for these bikes also.
Post a few pictures of it if you can but if it looks cosmetically ok and sounds good, go for it.
A test ride is advisable, but some sellers won't allow a test ride without a down payment or payment in full.
Lots of support here for any and all issues you may have.

Good luck....

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Welcome to the forum from just East of you :)

That mileage isn't bad, nor is that price. Just take a look around and see if it's been serviced (has records or receipts of some kind), general condition etc. That tells you about how it's lived the last bit of it's life with the current owner (assuming it's not the original owner.)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I'd be looking at needing to replace brake discs, caliper piston seals and SMC. Possible the rear caliper. I'd also be looking at the front fork seals, and the state of the brake lines where they join the banjo unions. Wheels could be rather the worse for wear. Here in the UK, I'd also be looking at the radiator for amount of corrsosion.
None of that applies here John. We can't ride in our winter months, so our motorcycles never see any of the corrosive environment yours does. Mostly fair-weather riding with rain now and then compared to your environment. I have never heard of anyone needing to replace brake discs at well over double that mileage, or a radiator other than due to impact damage. The condition of the SMC is more dependent on the servicing regiment, less so on the operating environment here.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Unless the bike was ridden or stored near the ocean for those in the USA.

Is that 3,000 CDN ... or USD ? (either way, a good deal). As others have stated, 65,500+ miles is "not high mileage" for an ST13.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok - Thanks @Andrew Shadow - that makes the bike look a lot more attractive. My brake discs are about 1 tenth of a mm away from the limit, and they are pretty grooved and pitted. The pitting mainly due to the rusting of the sintered brake pads onto the disc surface over winter. I keep turning them when I go into the garage to minimise this, but I can't eliminate it completely. They get a pretty good coating of light rust overnight if it has been raining. I don't go out on salted roads now, and at this time of year I wait until we have had a good deluge to wash the salt away. Nevertheless. New discs are going on when I get my new tyre fitted next month.

OP
OP
It's $3000 CAD and the bike is very clean, it's a deal i'm getting from a local dealer. No maintenance history but tires are in good shape, brake pads too. Not sure what to look for on these bikes but it looks / sounds good.

I'll wait until the snow melts a bit more and take it on a test drive before purchasing it.

Thanks for all your inputs, much appreciated!

Reactions: Obo
Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
It's $3000 CAD and the bike is very clean, it's a deal i'm getting from a local dealer. No maintenance history but tires are in good shape, brake pads too. Not sure what to look for on these bikes but it looks / sounds good.

I'll wait until the snow melts a bit more and take it on a test drive before purchasing it.

Thanks for all your inputs, much appreciated!
At that price, I would go get it now or it will be gone.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Or.....the prior owner traded it in because of brake dragging issues, and they put new pads in it, which is why they probably look in good condition, without knowing/understanding that the SMC is probably failed, and the next person who owns it will probably find out it needs to have a lot of service issues sorted out :rofl1:
Does it have a salvaged title? Was it an accident repair?
The shop may not even know where to look, or how to inspect stuff on an ST1300 ;)

OP
OP
They're actually asking 4.5k but I'm the sales manager in another dealership and they paid $3k for it on a trade, they would let me have it for what they paid. Previous owner traded for a BMW R1200RT(not sure what year)
I also get to order any OEM Honda part for cost price. I think this is a no-brainer, I should buy it and sell it for more if I don't like it.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Spoken like a true sales manager at a bike dealership :rofl1:
(No disrespect intended)
Before you start counting your dollars made flipping it, you should consider how much money it may cost to fix/repair it etc.
A while back, I helped a member who purchased an ST in MINT condition, Low Miles, Completely serviced by their service department, ready to ride across country, from his local Honda dealership.
Sorta like your situation, friends with the Service manager, and owner for many years etc.
Upon inspection, the bike needed more in repair costs than it cost to purchase this great deal!
The dealer dogged the bullet, and blamed the service department, and refunded half the money it cost to repair the bike.
I've been seeing a lot of late model, low mileage bikes (yes, that's not a lot of miles on an ST) with damaged brake systems, as well as needing clutch slave cylinder replacements, and many other neglected service stuff.
Even if you get parts at cost, IF you don't do your own service work, you could quite easily run up several thousand dollars in repairs to have a shop work on it.
And before you put a plug in for your service department, keep in mind, we've been seeing more damage done to these bikes by service departments who don't know how to work on them, or know what to inspect, how to repair it, and work on them correctly.
Not saying that there is anything wrong with this bike in question, or your service department, etc., just saying your easy money/flip sale, could end up as a money pit if you purchased it without inspecting stuff first.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Not saying that there is anything wrong with this bike in question, or your service department, etc., just saying your easy money/flip sale, could end up as a money pit if you purchased it without inspecting stuff first.
Especially if you don't know what to inspect, or how to inspect it.
#secondarymastercylinder

Top Bottom