Aftermarket timing belts

Hi everyone,

do I stump up the £££ for a genuine Honda timing belt (about £70 delivered) or are aftermarket ones acceptable?

I’ve been looking at ‘Dayco’ branded ones for about £45….

Normally, I wouldn’t hesitate to go OEM. However, I wouldn’t worry for a minute about putting an aftermarket one on my Ford!

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Gates seems to be the most popular choice among North Americans who use aftermarket timing belts on their ST1100. Many have used them and have not reported any problems with them.
Many have speculated that Gates makes them for Honda because they look identical.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I think the vast majority of people here used the Gates belt without any issues. I think its Gates 325, but double check the part number on that.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Model year 2000 ST1100 Timing Belt, Gates P/N T325, Product # 85950763.
I don't know if it is the same P/N for all years. Confirm for your model year.

OP
OP
David Silver will give you the choice of OEM or an equivalent - which happens to be a Triumph part..:)
Thanks Roger!

I looked at Silver’s, they’ve only got OEM ones listed (for £55, plus VAT, plus PnP), but they’re out of stock. Other pattern parts are listed, just not cam belts!

I’ll give them a bell tomorrow

Yeah i wonder if thats the right one? Not sure id trust amazon though.. lots of dodgy stuff on there
I bought that exact belt from Amazon - its fits perfectly. Gates are an extremely well known brand in the automotive trade, and would be the go-to brand if not buying from the dealer.

Thanks, thats really helpful. I agree with your comments about Gates but my comments were more about authenticity and quality control. Gates may well have belts that dont meet their exacting standards for example. What happens to them? What about counterfeit belts? I bought a memory card once and spark plugs from amazon which were fake and there is such a thkng as fake bearings.. Sparkplugs and bearkngs for fooks sake!! Is nothing sacred in this world!

Bike
2000 ST1100
Thanks, thats really helpful. I agree with your comments about Gates but my comments were more about authenticity and quality control. Gates may well have belts that dont meet their exacting standards for example. What happens to them? What about counterfeit belts? I bought a memory card once and spark plugs from amazon which were fake and there is such a thkng as fake bearings.. Sparkplugs and bearkngs for fooks sake!! Is nothing sacred in this world!
If you are worried about the fakes just go to your auto parts place and buy em face to face. Any parts stores that carry Gates products should be able to order you a motorcycle belt. As far as quality control it is over kill for an Old Honda motorcycle. The new Gates belt will probably outlast your motorcycle so stop worrying.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Gates may well have belts that dont meet their exacting standards for example. What happens to them?
Gates won’t let a defective belt get out the door. I’ve used their belts on industrial equipment that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars. Companies making industrial products, don’t take chances or they wouldn’t stay in business.

That being said, I wouldn’t buy from Amazon or eBay, but would get an industrial supplier to order one.

John

If you are worried about the fakes just go to your auto parts place and buy em face to face. Any parts stores that carry Gates products should be able to order you a motorcycle belt. As far as quality control it is over kill for an Old Honda motorcycle. The new Gates belt will probably outlast your motorcycle so stop worrying.
Not worried per se, just cautious. I am hesitant to buy anything from Amazon as suggested by some. Its good to explore options and to share ideas - thats why we're members of this group.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Not worried per se, just cautious. I am hesitant to buy anything from Amazon as suggested by some. Its good to explore options and to share ideas - thats why we're members of this group.
Yeah I hear you. I need to replace the sparkplugs on my Toyota and I need to replace the air filter too. So what I do is go down to NAPA which is an authorized distributor for NGK and on my way back home stop at a authorized Toyota dealer to get my engine air filter. This has been my practice for over 50 years and I've never gotten a counterfeit.

Top Bottom