Ain't As Tough As I Used to Be

Bike
05 ST
Crap. That's all I can say. Getting older sucks. Of course, it's better than the alternative, but it sure is frustrating to realize how easily you can get hurt once you get past 40.

Riding my daughter's dirt bike a few days ago, I lost traction in some wet grass. Slammed my left foot down to kick the bike back up - done it a thousand times - but this time was different. Bent my knee in a direction that God never intended. Have you ever heard an unrecognizable voice come from your own mouth? Over the sound of my knee popping and crackling, I heard the screams of an 8 year old girl coming from somewhere deep in my own throat. Man... it hurt! Or, maybe I'm just a sissy.
Anyway... popped the ACL, tore a medial meniscus, sprained a ligament and somehow managed an impact fracture on the end of my femur.
Having reconstructive surgery in a week - but needless to say, the ST will spend the remainder of the year in the garage. I ride daily, and I'm already having severe withdrawals. Grrr......

Chris G. - Franklin, TN

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Man. That sucks. Makes my sphincter tighten up just thinking about it.

+1 on the rehab discipline. Do what your therapist says, at the minimum. I have always done much more than minimum. I'm not saying it's the right way, but I will say that my old orthopod predicted a plastic knee and a solid fused right ankle by the time I was 50. Neener, neener. Both work no worse than ok.....

Anyway, good luck. Just remember, it could have happened in April, when the really good riding was just comming:)

Bike
2007 ST1300
At 63, I have learned that lesson more than once. You think I'd learn to listen to my body as well as my brain. I'm trying. It sucks when your brain says "you've always done that and you still can". However, your body instructs you along a different course and often it is a painful reminder that you aren't as young as you used to be and you can't do what you used to be able to do. It sucks getting old.

Take care and I hope you heal quickly.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
BTDT. Sucks. +1 on the rehab. Listen to your body, but work at it.
The effort put into it directly impacts the long term success with strength and range of motion.
A sissy wouldn't have been riding they'd be sitting on the porch, you'll be fine.

maxib

I'm working on it...ok?
I'm sorry for you. How far past 40 are you?

Good luck with the surgery, and as much as it is against human nature, phys rehab is definitely a must. Trust me on this! You'll be glad in the long run.

Here's a warm fuzzy for you...I'm putting my bikes up for the winter this weekend. You'll probably be out riding before I will next spring.

edit: yup, that's me about to land <-----

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
wow.... now there is an 8 year old with out a riding partner. I don't know which is going to hurt most... your not riding or her not riding. Heal fast, that little lady needs to ride!
Should we send her a tea set? LOL!! Seriously though, heal fast!!

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Your mind is young but your body betrays you. That's what my wife and I say about getting older.

When I'm really old I'll buy a Gold Wing.

Godspeed on your recovery.

OP
OP
GodMan64
Bike
05 ST
You folks are awesome. Thanks for the responses! My orthopedic guy and I are on a first name basis, thanks to a career of sports injuries. And you are so right about sticking with the rehab discipline. I know that lesson first hand. But my joints still do a better weather forecast than the local meteorologist. I will continue to lurk about on the site while healing up, and I'll send some updates, too.

Thanks again, everyone!

Chris G.
Franklin, TN

Top Bottom