air flow under the plastic and dumping heat

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Another thing I find on a lot of folks bikes is the radiator is completely clogged with dirt, and you can't see through it.
Anytime I service a coolant system, I replace all the O-rings (front cover & t-stat housing) check all the clamps & hoses, remove paint from the radiator pipes if any, flush the radiator out (inside), then soak the radiator in warm water, then lightly spray the fins to remove all the road debris and dirt.
I often find about a 1/4 inch of dirt and sand in the rinse pan afterwards.
You should be able to see light through your radiator.
:WCP1:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I agree with the 3rd bar comment; my guess is that it covers the full range from thermostat opening (around 78C) to well into the fan operating range (100C+).
The third bar covers a temperature range of about 80°F, from approximately 150°F to 230°F, or a 45°C range from 65°C to 110°C.

Use high octane gas and keep your tank as full as practicable. It acts like a heat sink. A previous ST1300 had ceramic coated headers and I can't feel any difference between that bike and my current ST. @Chris09 bike is black, so that is the hottest paint colour, right? Silver and white are less likely to absorb heat from the sun. If I was experimenting, and I'm not, I'm fine with my heated bike, I would look into adjustable side wings to direct cool ambient air over me.

I thought I'd start a thread about air flow / cooling / air impingement / ventilation of components / radiation / conduction / convection / fan cycling / actual cfm / actual air flow / velocity at zero speed vs velocity under way... and all that stuff.
Before getting underway with my own ST this summer, I did a bit of experimenting with it after servicing and verifying that I've got a clean / clear / unobstructed / unfouled radiator with everything as it was designed, all the fairing parts, foam bits, seals and gaskets correct.
Last year I had highway pegs protruding through cut engine guard covers; I think the air leakage through those deprived the engine sides and pipes of the correct ventilation.
The OP provided me with new engine guard covers which I will be using this year, my belief is that once the forward portion of the bike is sealed, the radiator fans will force air as designed; across and down through the inner plastic,
Last summer i purchased heat wrap for exhaust pipes and it elimimated most of the heat

Top Bottom