Air hawk seat covers

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Yes. Without it, I'm good for a couple hours. With it, I'm good for all day riding.

The "secret" to using one, is to put so little air in it that you don't think it can do anything...and then take out half that. All you want is just the barest of separation of the upper and lower skin of the air bladder inside. Anything more will feel like a rock in about half an hour.

Chris

Bike
2010 ST1300
I did a quick search for 'airhawk' (blue band atop the page, right end) and saw at least 3 separate threads that mentioned these seat covers, and others, too. You will get more opinions in multiple older threads than you will in any one thread here.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Yes. Without it, I'm good for a couple hours. With it, I'm good for all day riding.

The "secret" to using one, is to put so little air in it that you don't think it can do anything...and then take out half that. All you want is just the barest of separation of the upper and lower skin of the air bladder inside. Anything more will feel like a rock in about half an hour.
I bought one "used" from another STer. He mentioned trying like it was before messing with the air. It felt like there was nothing in it. I put it on the Corbin seat and went for a spin. It made quite a bit of difference. With a sheepskin and AirHawk, the Corbin became an 6-7 hour seat. I was ready to get off the ST at that point. Not a Russell by any stretch of the imagination but it got me by until my Russell got here.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I have one that I have ridden a few hundred miles. Getting is on the seat correctly made it uncomfortable the first ride, but the 2nd ride was much better. I agree about the air, I think I still have too much in mine.

WingMan1500

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A
Got one a few weeks ago and have gradually reduced the amount of air in it. Think I’m finally getting to the sweet spot.definitely more comfortable than the bare stock seat. Trying to decide which ST1300 seat height works best with it... with the air adjusted down, I think I’ll be staying at my same middle position.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hi Jethro:

I've got one. It has a 'unique feel', kind of hard to explain, but it is very comfortable. The company that makes them primarily serves the wheelchair market, trading under the name 'Roho". So, if you know someone who uses a wheelchair, or someone in rehabilitation or a similar health care activity, ask them for their opinion... the Airhawk for motorcycles is simply a Roho wheelchair cushion shaped for a motorcycle seat.

The trick is to not over-inflate the device. You add air to it (blowing into it), then you sit on it and let air OUT until your ischial tuberosity (butt-bone) just touches the seat. Then, you put one more breath into it and close the valve. The idea is that you want your butt to only be suspended the tiniest fraction of an inch above the motorcycle seat. If you inflate it correctly, it is supremely comfortable and lets you squirm around and change positions easily. If you over-inflate it, it's just an expensive balloon.

Michael

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Jethro, I just noticed you are from Marmora. I live in Toronto (although I am in Africa now, and will be in Europe for the next month).

If you plan to come to Toronto, I can arrange for my wife to give you my Airhawk, and you can try it out. Otherwise, perhaps I can take a nice mid-fall ride out to your place once I get back and show you my Airhawk, you can then try it out and see what you think before you buy one yourself.

Michael

Top Bottom