Air Hawk vs. Bead Rider

Bike
1998 ST1100
Hi, In an effort to make riding distance better I've tried several options (replacing the Saddleman that came with my ST with a Sargent rebuild, then modifying that myself) and, finally, I just bought a stock ST1100 seat off eBay. So far it's an improvement, but I'm planning on doing more riding this summer, and am wondering about a BeadRider vs. an AirHawk pad.

Does anyone have an opinion/experience you can share? I'd love a RDL but that's just not in the budget.

Thanks!

Bob

I've got both that I use when I rent ST1300s overseas. The AirHawk is better but the biggest problem is that folks tend to over inflate them and you end up 'floating' around on the seat.
But I used the Beadrider for 3 weeks in New Zealand and it was much better than stock and a lot cheaper than an AirHawk.
Also realize that the price of an RDL has lot to do with what options you choose. It will be money well spent that you will not regret if you plan on keeping the bike for a while.
What usually happens is people end up spending the price of a RDL on trying various solutions that just don't fix the problem very well.

It's really hard to recommend one over the other. And I have both.

I had a Suzuki Burgman 400. I did a SS1000 on it and used the Beadrider. It worked great. The Beadrider was only part of the equation, but I was as comfortable on the SS1000 as if I was sitting in a barcalounger. I liked the Beadrider a lot on that seat. The seat was shaped like a "tractor seat". I think that makes a difference. The airflow through it was great, and that separation from the seat covering helped to keep you from sitting in a pool of water when riding in the rain too.

The airflow was so much, that I had to put duct tape over the front three edges, about 3-4 inches across each edge to make it tolerable in the winter. What is fantastic in the summer...is freezing your a__ off in the winter. :D Literally, not figuratively.

I thought the Beadrider would be the answer on my BMW F800GT. It wasn't. It was almost more comfortable on the OEM seat. But the OEM seat on my F800GT is shaped more like a standard sport bike seat. Narrower.

I tried the Airhawk. At first I didn't like it at all. I was riding on a balloon, even though I thought I had it deflated as far as possible. And after about an hour, it felt like a rock. There was nothing comfortable about it.

I had two trips planned last summer that were about 7000 miles in total. I decided to try the Airhawk again. It worked extremely well. On the days when I was trying to put some miles behind me, I could ride 10+ hours with no issues at all. The secret was to deflate it even more.

One tip for using the Airhawk... Only use the front tie-down strap if you are riding in weather where it might rain. When you stop, you can flip it up vertically to rest on the tank and not collect water.

Bottom line...YMMV is really applicable here. What worked for my tush, may not work for yours. If I was to try just one...I think I'd try the Airhawk.

Chris

I can’t answer about the Airhawk, but I’m using a BeadRider ceramic on both ST’s and both on the Saddlemen seats. I’m very satisfied with them and very comfortable. An RDL is likely the best bet, but for the riding I do (mostly day trips of ~ 120-170 miles), probably not worth the money (again, no 1000 mile days for me). So far, I’m really happy with them.

I can't comment on the Beadrider, but I did purchase an AirHawk, and I was generally satisfied with it. It did the job I expected it to do, which was to extend the amount of time I could comfortably ride in one day.

As Uncle Phil mentioned, the most important thing to remember when using the AirHawk is to not over-inflate it. But, having said that - and having NOT overinflated mine - I found that I could not use the AirHawk all day long, I would eventually got tired of sitting on it. That's not necessarily a complaint, just an observation. But, that notwithstanding, between the combination of the AirHawk and the regular seat (a Corbin) without the AirHawk, I could comfortably travel more miles in a day than I could without the AirHawk.

I guess what I am trying to say is that the AirHawk provides a "nice change" from sitting on the regular seat. And, after a half a day or so, the regular seat provides a nice change from sitting on the AirHawk. :)

Considering that the beaded seat cover would probably accomplish the same thing for 1/3 the price, you might want to get the beaded seat cover first and try it out.

Michael

Although the Beadrider is NOT that expensive, I am sure many folks on here have gone the "cheap" route, and gotten a car bead seat from Walmart, and modified it to fit a bike. I did it a few years ago, and did like it, although I did find I liked to alternate between the beads and no beads, on a weeklong ride.

The process for converting it is not hard- took about an hour if I recall correctly.

I just bought an airhawk-r on sale. Tried it on a used st13 in the dealer and it did seem weird but worth a try. My Sargent seat with sheepskin is good for about 6hrs. Was going to add this on top when it starts getting uncomfortable.

Hi, In an effort to make riding distance better I've tried several options (replacing the Saddleman that came with my ST with a Sargent rebuild, then modifying that myself) and, finally, I just bought a stock ST1100 seat off eBay. So far it's an improvement, but I'm planning on doing more riding this summer, and am wondering about a BeadRider vs. an AirHawk pad.

Does anyone have an opinion/experience you can share? I'd love a RDL but that's just not in the budget.

I would like to throw in the Bike Cushion in the mix as well. Try that. Comes with a money back guarantee and is manufactured in the midwest. It has a different technology than the airhawk. I am going to try it this year myself

I've got the bead rider. As said, it makes a nice change from the vinyl seat but a 500 mile day still is painful. I read that the ceramic bead model can get very hot if your bike is parked in direct sun in the summer. The wood beads do not absorb as much heat - tho this would probably be a moot point if you are ATGATT. A sensitive bottom in blue jeans might not be so happy with ceramic. YBMV.

As someone who used the wooden bead model for about 70,000 miles, I recommend just saving money and going with wooden beads and not paying extra for the ceramic beads. The wooden beads held up just fine. It was the nylon string they used to hold them together that finally failed from age.

Chris

I can't comment on an AirHawk but I do have a ceramic Beadrider and absolutely love mine...when it's mild, warm or hot. You do have to remember to remove it when it gets cold otherwise you'll freeze. I use mine with an RDL and it's the perfect combo for me. And I can swap mine on & off the bike in about 5-10 mins.

Skip

I have an AirHawk for my XR1200, which isn't a candidate for a Russell Day-Long. For your ST, I'd say save the money you'd spend on lesser solutions and put it towards the cost of a Russell. I've had one on my ST1300 for over 100K, and I'm pleased with it; possibly the best money I've spent on the bike (along with the suspension upgrade and topbox.)

I have both. I just can't get that perfect spot with the Air Hawk. No mater what I do, it pushes me forward. I've tried all air volumes with no success. The Bead Rider works better for me plus the air circulation is greatly improved.

What size Bead Rider have you guys found fits best? I have the stock seat and a Corbin.

My wife and I tried an Air Hawk for a couple days and neither of us cared fore it. We now have Bead Riders and love them. I live in Florida where it's usually hot or hot and raining. The Bead Rider is great for this. The air flow just makes it more comfortable. As mentioned above it also keeps you from sitting in a puddle of water.

I have the ceramic beads and would probably go with the wood beads were I to do it again. That's another Florida thing as the black ceramic beads HOTTTTT! when left sitting in the sun. Like sitting on the hood of a black car that has been sitting in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom