alternator fault 1997 abs model

Hi i need to replace the alternator on my 97 abs st1100, just after either another 28 amp unit or advise as to what i need to upgrade to 40amp, and wheres the best place to get the parts from, im in manchester and any advise help would be appreviated
thanks paul

Bike
1991 ST1100
If the original 28 amp unit lasted you over 20 years, I'd say that's good and go with another one of those. My understanding is there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the 28 amp units, they just lack much excess capacity and burn out if you're going to add a lot of electric options / load to the system. I'll leave it to the uk-based members to advise on where to get one there.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
It's probably just the Reg/Rectifier but, it (I think) still requires the removal of the Swingarm to get to it.
Reg/Rectifier is about the same price as the Chinese made entire unit.

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
It's probably just the Reg/Rectifier but, it (I think) still requires the removal of the Swingarm to get to it.
Reg/Rectifier is about the same price as the Chinese made entire unit.
regulator for the 40A alternator is a pretty generic Denso part, nowhere near what Honda charges for it.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
Excellent, Honda wants $100+ for one.
Yes I pulled the Alternator and replaced the Entire Assembly $$$. I will replace the Regulator and have a full spare in the Future.
Still wonder if the Regulator could be replaced without Major surgery, ie Pulling the Swingarm.

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
Excellent, Honda wants $100+ for one.
Yes I pulled the Alternator and replaced the Entire Assembly $$$. I will replace the Regulator and have a full spare in the Future.
Still wonder if the Regulator could be replaced without Major surgery, ie Pulling the Swingarm.
Nope. Swing arm needs to come off, but at least you don't have to remove the alternator to replace the regulator. just take off the hood.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
regulator for the 40A alternator is a pretty generic Denso part, nowhere near what Honda charges for it.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
I have a spare if anyone needs it. I think they are the same between the ST11 and ST13. Free for the cost of postage.

Top Bottom