Alternator for Pan 1990.

Hi everybody,
I have recently become owner of 1990 Pan European and I suspect alternator failure. If this is the case, I have found an alternator on ebay for around 140 USD. But it says that it fits the models 1996-2002. Is there a 40 amp alternator that would fir my 1990 honda? Could someone kindly provide a link please?
The problem persists since a few days when the bike would not start. I used a jump starter and it seemed fine, so I thought it was just a battery. But after a journey of aroud 20 minutes, while going into a gas station the bike stopped again (just as the revs went down to about 2000). With a help of the gas station guy I started it again and so I got back home where it stalled just as I was parking and the revs went down. Took out the battery, charged it the whole night just in case, put it back in this morning and when turning the ignition on there are no controls, no electricity.
Thank you for your help.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Have your battery checked professionally. Inability to hold a charge will seem like a charging issue. So will a burned fuse. As will burned wiring, loose ground wire and corrosion inside the power/charging connectors. Verify the cheap stuff first.
If the problem is the alternator, original 28 amp units are difficult to come by. The early ST1100 can be converted to the newer 40 amp units. This process is covered in this forum...try searching on 'ST1100 Alternator Upgrade'. The procedure is also covered in the Clymer manual for this bike. The mount plate for the conversion is becoming a bit hard to find. Be aware that there is a lot of wrenching as the bike will need disassembly to the point the swing arm can be removed.

Top Bottom