Alternator/stator parts list for 93 St1100 help?

I finally found a shop that will do the upgrade on my bike (current stator dead) but Honda dealer says “no stator is available”. I see people are talking about 40-amp models and a “base plate.” Are these available and what else do I need? Time to get this bike running or say good bye. Thanks in advance!

ps I found this on ebay... Not sure it’ll work and if it’s all I need. Messaged seller.

OP
OP
Jamjam
Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
mechanic told me it may be advisable to replace rectifier as well in case it caused stator to fail.
I personally reckon that's unlikely on the ST1100 at this point in it's life. More probable are age related failures (bushings, bearings etc). Maybe the rectifier has been supplying unstable voltages & that lead to the stator death, but the stator has more parts that are prone to age related wear than the rectifier does.

But if you're worried, any auto-electrician should be able to hook the rectifier up to a power source & oscilloscope to check the rectifier functions as intended. Around my area (not in US), the going rate is "a case of beer" for the 20mins it takes.

Or even since you're replacing the stator anyway, crack open the old one, take pics, and garner opinions here (there's a number of electrically qualified folks that grace these halls).

(Caveat, I'm neither a mechanic or an electrician).

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Go with the 40amp upgrade and pitch the regulator and it's likely burnt up connection. The amount of work is the same, and the 28amp unit may start leaking oil at the wiring exit point, then you are back to square 1.

The process is very well documented and there is even a traveling tool kit with the special tools needed that greatly simplifies the installation.

Check st-riders.net archive of wisdom for more info.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You are correct there is a base plate that is needed to upgrade to the 40amp alternator. The alternator is readily available as are all the misc. o-rings and fastener hardware. The base plate is no longer manufactured and is unavailable from mother honda. I did a search on Fleabay and began contacting sellers with complete engines or alternator listings until I found a seller who was willing to pull the plate off the engine he was selling. The engine needs to be '96 or later. Good luck. Item #1
1593117664461.png

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Heh, I JUST posted on your other thread.

These guys claim they have an 1100 stator in stock, shipping could be pricey though: https://www.carmo.nl/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2680&language=en
Just to keep this consistent with the other two or three, same-subject threads of Ben’s - this is NOT a replacement 28amp “stator” for Ben’s ST1100.
I have a 40amp unit, with base plate on a spare engine. Yours for $200 + shipping.
Now there‘s a sweet deal! You’re a prince, Pat! Ben still need the other parts though. I wonder how long it will be before the shaft is N/A... Anyway, see the link I posted for the parts and tools list, plus my free loaner STOC upgrade tools kit.

John

Last edited:
Bike
1994 ST1100
STOC #
I have a 40amp unit, with base plate on a spare engine. Yours for $200 + shipping.
Sirepair, If he doesn't want it, I'll take your alternator and base plate. I actually only need the base plate as I have a new alternator and everything else that I need to do the upgrade, but if I need to buy them both I will.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamjam
Just to keep this consistent with the other two or three, same-subject threads of Ben’s - this NOT a replacement 28amp “stator” for Ben’s ST1100.

Now there‘s a sweet deal! You’re a prince, Pat! Ben still need the other parts though. I wonder how long it will be before the shaft is N/A... Anyway, see the link I posted for the parts and tools list, plus my free loaner STOC upgrade tools kit.

John
Thanks John, I feel totally out of my element shopping for parts. I contacted Pat for the 40 amp alternator and will have my inop 93 stator for parts. Not clear what additional parts I need to purchase for the mechanic to do the upgrade. You mention a “shaft”—guess that’s not attached to either the stator or the alternator? So confused

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Thanks John, I feel totally out of my element shopping for parts. I contacted Pat for the 40 amp alternator and will have my inop 93 stator for parts. Not clear what additional parts I need to purchase for the mechanic to do the upgrade. You mention a “shaft”—guess that’s not attached to either the stator or the alternator? So confused
Please read this link I posted for you already, and all the links imbedded therein and ask any questions still remaining after that:
Also, look through the images album I also posted in other thread(s):
Here’s an image from my album showing the two charging system’s parts (28amper - top, 40amper - below):
863D920B-5BD5-466F-BA6E-3913D7657E90.jpeg

This image shows the old and new parts combined that are used during an alt upgrade/conversion:
78E5932E-0EB9-4612-AE36-11C2717E3FBF.jpeg
I’m not sure what more I can do for you right now.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamjam
Please read this link I posted for you already, and all the links imbedded therein and ask any questions still remaining after that:
Also, look through the images album I also posted in other thread(s):
Here’s an image from my album showing the two charging system’s parts (28amper - top, 40amper - below):
863D920B-5BD5-466F-BA6E-3913D7657E90.jpeg

This image shows the old and new parts combined that are used during an alt upgrade/conversion:
78E5932E-0EB9-4612-AE36-11C2717E3FBF.jpeg
I’m not sure what more I can do for you right now.

John
Ok thank you John. I will show this to the mechanic and get everything organized for them. Best, Ben

Top Bottom