An Alternative To Cruise Control

If you arent mechanically able to install CC, or cant afford to pay to have it done, or the idea of CC on a motorcycle just gives you the creeps, there is an alternative. I noticed years ago that on month long trips, my right wrist ached at night for the first few days but after that it was fine. So I got one of those spring hand exercisers and a month before the trip, used it for about five minutes an hour at work. Presto no achy wrist!

If you think about it, there isnt a whole lot of physical effort involved in operating a motorcycle throttle so why the achy wrist? :confused: And one never has a problem with the left wrist does one? Could it be people are tensing the right wrist too much during throttle operation? :confused: Inquiring minds want to know!

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I think there's a little, but constant grip pressure on the throttle in order to keep it from slipping through your hand. It's slight, but the fact that it's constant is what I think causes the right wrist to feel achy after a while.

I keep a cramp buster in my fairing pocket and if I'm going to be on the highway for more than an hour, I'll slip it on, otherwise I find that it just gets in the way.

I also have a throttle lock so I can get a few moments relief on flat roads.

thekaz

haz gone feral
a throttlemeister adjusted so the when activated only neutralizes the pressure from the throttle return springs. This means you just have to put your hands on the bar with very little "squeezing"

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you think about it, there isnt a whole lot of physical effort involved in operating a motorcycle throttle so why the achy wrist? And one never has a problem with the left wrist does one? Could it be people are tensing the right wrist too much during throttle operation? Inquiring minds want to know!
:plus1:

I've gone a step further and installed a hand / brain interface, with the optional tilt and optical sensors. With a little initial setting up, I find that the bike adjusts the throttle input according to the situation.

Bike
VStrom 650
Well here's a funny thing, on a recent trip on long Autoroute days I found I had unintentionally moved my hands outwards on the bars. My pinky fingers were hanging over the bar end caps on both sides and even with light gripping pressure it effectively became a throttle lock. Instead of the top speed wavering all over the shop it became pretty static. I don't know why my hands moved out but it is comfy on long jaunts but doesn't feel natural on the twisties. It was maybe that it was cooler out there.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom