An Eventful First Ride.....

jpasichny

James
Bike
2007 ST1300A
So I joined ST-Owners a few weeks back as part of my research into buying an ST1300. I received some good advice and encouragement...thanks!!! Anyway I managed to located a beautiful 2007 Silver ST1300 with 7400 KM (@4600 miles)...5 hours away. Well after some negotiating and a long trip I trailered my girl home (I know...but the SO refused to drive my truck home). So my first real ride was Sunday. I headed out on a local route I like to ride and it was fantastic...by far the best ride my life. After a stop for lunch, a few friends and I headed out for what should have been more fun. We were only a few clicks down the road when I noticed that something was wrong. I was downshifting on hills that I shouldn't have had too...it almost felt like she was dragging her brakes. As we approached a stop light I pulled in the clutch and she stopped on her own very quickly. She was locked. The rear brake was stuck and she wouldn't move even under power (it stalled when I tried to move her off the road). The back breaks were very very hot!!! A number of other riders stopped and offered suggestions on what could be the cause (fellow riders are the best). After 15 minutes she cooled down and I was able to move her off the road (the brakes had released as it cooled). We gave it another 15 minutes and decided to try to baby it home. I only made it 2 more clicks and I felt it start to grab again. My friend called the auto club and they sent a flatbed (3 hours later). I had my girl towed to the Honda dealership near my home. They were swamped today so they didn't get a chance to look at her, but promised to in the morning.

I knew that I bought a used bike so I can't say I was upset...disappointed yes..but angry no. The pleasant surprise is that I checked with the dealer that I bought her from and my Honda warranty expires on Wednesday!!! I think I am going to go out and buy a lottery ticket...first my brakes lock AFTER I stop (not like others that I read about who had it happen at speed). Then I find out that the warranty I thought was expired is good for a few more days. I will see what the service manager has to say. I mentioned what I had read on this forum about the SMC. I also asked for a complete fluid check. I am hoping that I don't get caught up with the problems others have had getting replacement parts...I guess I will see tomorrow. The only upside is that I still my other motorcycle so if she is down for a while, I have alternative 2 wheeled transportation.

This is not quite how I envisioned my first ride...but it is one for the books!!! I will, however, take the advice of others here and do some preventive maintenance to hopefully avoid bringing her home on a flatbed....very undignified for a motorcycle as classy as an ST...especially a silver ST!!!

Sorry for the long post...this is only my second post.

James

Proud new owner of a new to me 2007 Silver ST1300.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sorry to hear that.. it is a problem that shows up from time to time... it might be the fluid but it does sound like the SMC.

It's a very low mileage bike but sometimes a bike sitting around is a bit more prone to issues and since the SMC does have some rubber parts it may mean it needs to be rebuilt. Glad to see your warranty is still active.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Sorry to hear that.. it is a problem that shows up from time to time... it might be the fluid but it does sound like the SMC.

It's a very low mileage bike but sometimes a bike sitting around is a bit more prone to issues and since the SMC does have some rubber parts it may mean it needs to be rebuilt. Glad to see your warranty is still active.
Thanks for posting this, and please tell us how this occurred .....What is a SMC anyways ? And is it ABS related ?

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for posting this, and please tell us how this occurred .....What is a SMC anyways ? And is it ABS related ?
Secondary Master Cylinder. Riders are having problems with the pistons in them seizing. Usually taping the back brake pedal will clear the lockup though. The rod that runs from the caliper on the left front on the 1300 actuates the secondary cylinder. If it gets stuck then the rear brake drags.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
Since you still have the original factory warranty, you can jump on the extended warranty, which I suggest that you do. Well, maybe you can, things may be different up there in the Great White North.

OP
OP
jpasichny

jpasichny

James
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Thanks everyone....yeah I feel pretty fortunate. I was especially happy to hear that my warranty was still in effect.

Nevada - Thanks for the suggestion about an extended warranty. I hadn't thought about it. I will ask about it today...though I think remember something about you can only extend the warranty early on...otherwise people may wait until their warranty was almost expired before committing. Hey it doesn't hurt to ask!!

Now I have wait to hear back from the Honda Dealership...let's hope they get her back up and running before the long weekend...the weather looks great and I would prefer to be out on my ST!!! :07biker:

James

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks everyone....yeah I feel pretty fortunate. I was especially happy to hear that my warranty was still in effect.

Nevada - Thanks for the suggestion about an extended warranty. I hadn't thought about it. I will ask about it today...though I think remember something about you can only extend the warranty early on...otherwise people may wait until their warranty was almost expired before committing. Hey it doesn't hurt to ask!!

Now I have wait to hear back from the Honda Dealership...let's hope they get her back up and running before the long weekend...the weather looks great and I would prefer to be out on my ST!!! :07biker:

James
James, you can extend your warranty ANY TIME while you are still WITHIN the original factory warranty... HDL is now having a sale, check the discounts section, for an additional 10% off so the timing is good for you however, I don't know if there are any Canadian issue with that sale. You don't have to buy it at a dealership.

OP
OP
jpasichny

jpasichny

James
Bike
2007 ST1300A
An update...the dealer has her on the hoist and is trouble shooting the problem. They are thinking SMC but are rulling out other potential causes. They are swamped with regular appointments this week and are working me in around the other appointments. They are calling me in the morning with an update.

Mellow - you were absolutely right - I was able to extend my warranty. Though from what I read on HDL, it appeared to be for the US warranty only...but since I am so short on time I really don't have the time check it out properly. Also from what I read...Honda Canada has a slighty different warranty (could be wrong just my impression).

Regardless, given that I need to do something pretty quickly, I worked out a price that I can live with from my local Honda dealership...not quite as cheap as you pay south of the border but better than what I was seeing on Honda Canada's website.

I feel better knowing that if I run into more issues (hopefully not) that I have some coverage...not mention the roadside assistance.

I am holding out hope that I may have her back for the weekend...but given that our holiday is on the Friday (July 1st is Canada Day), I likely will be out on my V-Strom.

James ..............:07biker:

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I extended the warranty on my ST when there was a coolant issue that was traced back partially to a leaking head gasket. I still think it was the best thing I did. I actually got a great price on the extension, probably because the bike came from the dealer where I was getting the work done. It doesn't help when I or Igofar are working on it though. :)

OP
OP
jpasichny

jpasichny

James
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Well the dealership has given me the dreaded news that indeed my SMC is the culprit (well that isn't the bad news) and that the parts are on back order (that is the bad news) until mid August (which is the really bad news). Everything is covered under warranty (the good news). I guess I won't be selling my V-Strom for a while...I was completely convinced I was going to sell it anyways...now I have an excuse to tell the SO...;)

I am going to see what I can find out about locating the parts myself...though I was told that since it is a warranty claim that the parts have to go through Honda Canada....sounds a little fishy. I would assume that as long as they are new Honda Parts it shouldn't matter where they are from. I plan on contacting Honda Canada directly to find out what their position is.

It would really suck if I don't get to ride my ST again until mid August. I will try to keep a positive attitude...or I could just head out into the garage and break something...:D

James.......:07biker:

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Technically the parts would likely have to go though them. Though if you have a good dealer they may be willing to bend the rules but you will likely be out of pocket for the cost of the parts. Now the rebuild kit is on backorder but what about the entire assembly. Mine failed last summer and I couldn't get the rebuild kit but I could get the assembly. I would fight for that first.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

OP
OP
jpasichny

jpasichny

James
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Thanks Sennister...I was wondering the same thing. I was re-reading some other posts from April / May where they were discussing the rebuild kits. I was trying to remember how the conversation went with the Service Manager at the Dealership...he said my SMC was completely seized. He mentioned that 2 parts were on backorder...one was a bracket and I can't remember the other. I will touch base with them tomorrow and clarify. I guess I was too hung up on the date and doing the math in my head as to how many more days I would be waiting.

My preference would be the replacement over a rebuild kit...I will see if I can push the dealer to agree as well (assuming that is not already the case).

James.....:07biker:

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I do know a few people here in the US that have the rebuild kit. One locally here in MN. We initially thought his was failed but now we are not too sure. I don't know the costs up there but the rebuild kit here from an online source is around $45 and last summer I bought the entire assembly for around $120. For me the assembly was the only option as the rebuild kit was backordered. While it was more money, it also bought me time with the bike on our limited riding schedule. Mine was like yours and completely seized. Now being you have most likely not taken one apart you may lean toward a new assembly. I have taken mine apart and would be fine with a rebuild kit. In my case water worked its way to the piston seals and they swelled up to the point where it doesn't work any longer. As for getting the old one out and hole can be drilled in it and a screw inserted and pulled out. This is of course if you can't get it out with a air compressor. So personally it would come down to what ever option was available. The new assembly that I got is no different than the one that came off my bike. I should add that mine was fixed out of pocket as I have no warranty.

As for preventative measures. I typically recommend to people that they flush at least the front brakes every year if they ride in all conditions. If you are a fair weather rider or limited rain riding to those days that you just get caught in it and you can stick with every other year. This should help keep some of the contaminated fluid from sitting on the seals and causing them to swell so much. I know when I got my piston out of the SMC the brake fluid was very milky and contaminated with water. When I flushed the rest of the fluid it looked good. So it wasn't like it had been sitting in there a long time. For me rain is nothing that will stop me from taking the bike out so I flush all the brakes every year. We will see if that helps the SMC last longer.

OP
OP
jpasichny

jpasichny

James
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Well I got my ST back on Friday...the parts came in earlier then originally estimated. Still it was close to a month. The dealer replaced the secondary master cylinder, the rear rotor, caliper and pads...all under warranty. I went out for a nice long ride and she is handling great!!! This was why I bought an ST1300!!!

My first farkle...a Bestem Silver TBox arrived while it was laid up. As has been said in other forums...not a perfect match but close enough for me. But that is the topic of another thread....anyway this will be the first of many to come.

James......:07biker:

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Well I got my ST back on Friday...the parts came in earlier then originally estimated. Still it was close to a month. The dealer replaced the secondary master cylinder, the rear rotor, caliper and pads...all under warranty. I went out for a nice long ride and she is handling great!!! This was why I bought an ST1300!!!

My first farkle...a Bestem Silver TBox arrived while it was laid up. As has been said in other forums...not a perfect match but close enough for me. But that is the topic of another thread....anyway this will be the first of many to come.

James......:07biker:
:woo :woo :woo :woo

st1300doug

Great! It all happened to my '06 at 16,000 mi. I was going to say, you'll most likely need a new rotor. Your Dealer handled it all correctly! Have fun!!

Top Bottom