An experience changing coolant on my 1993 st1100

Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Hi all,

This is more of a story to share really.

So I worked on my bike for the first time really, last weekend replaced the coolant on my 1993 st1100 (that I owned for only 3 weeks). Few days prior, I practiced removing the fairing all to the point of access to the radiator cap. I read and read the service manual and was confident in what I need to have and do. I was taken almost by surprise the extra effort I needed to make to get to the radiator drain plug -that's on me not evaluating properly, totally overlooked before starting the process. Anyway, I made sure to organize bolts so they are properly returned to their exact spot. Started to get overwhelmed by the number of bolts once I started removing the left middle fairing. Once I made it to the radiator drain, the actual process of draining, flushing, and filling coolant (including reservoir) went smooth. Unfortunately I didn't make it to drain the reservoir, was not ready for taking more fairing apart, in order to reach to the drain host. The older coolant there was way below the 'low' line anyway. I placed the radiator cap on top of the radiator opening, loosely, so I can run the engine a bit in idle to let some air out, and add more as necessary. After that I started bolting the fairing back. In the process of taking the middle left fairing off, a loose bolt came off from somewhere, but luckily I figured out where that was supposed to go. What I was unable to tell is that after bolting the left middle fairing back, I was left with one bolt that for 20 minutes I was unable to figure out where it was supposed to go (lesson learned to document better), but really, nothing seemed to be missing (wait, it's getting even better). Once all fairing was placed back I took a long break with the intent of taking a ride for assessment later that day. As I prep to get on the bike I REALIZED that the radiator cap was only loose on top, never tightened. Had to take the fairing off again. How lucky was I? Anyway, left with a bolt that really does not seem to be missing. The fairing seems to be actually more secure than before, if I can say so.

The one bummer is the realization of the 'amount' of fairing I'll have to take off in order to reach the oil filter when time comes. Oh well. It is not that big of a deal after all.

I initially bought the bike as I wanted something for a long trip, use on weekends, and to learn how to maintain a bike. I'm becoming more and more confident getting hands-on, something I would have never thought I would be able to do just six months ago. (heck, the thought of a motorcycle and motorcycle license was not in my mind up to August this year). I don't know if I'll get to go on a long trip anytime soon. So I will be considering replacing it in the next season or two with a lighter bike, and less fairings to take off. I do gravitate toward a Honda. We'll see.

I'm glad I 'invested' in a good foam pad for my knees while on the floor -life saver!

If you got this far, thank you for reading.

Thanks.

AEE66F5D-B381-449E-BF98-E3484FEEA0E9.jpeg

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Oil filter - you just need to drop the lower gray cowling - 5 bolts on the right side, 4 bolts on the left side, two push pins at the front under the fairing.
Oh. I probably was aware of it while taking fairings off. Could not remember. Thanks. Not feeling that bad now.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Or cheat a bit more just remove a couple of fasteners (from memory) on the filter side, ease the plastic out and done.
Upt.
This is how I get to the filter as well. If I pull the whole lower gray fairing it can sometimes be difficult to get it all lined up for the allen bolts

To karuzo, you’re doing fine…it took me (and I’m sure a lot of us) time to learn this bike- it’s no naked bike where everything is just…there and visible. Lots of bodywork to remove. If you wanted to clean the reserve tank without removing it, you could use a syringe and do serial washes with water (use a larger volume syringe and clear tubing) and maybe a little soap- the better way would be to pull it out and while out remove the reserve bottle, change the rubber line between the radiator neck and the reserve as the rubber is likely dry and maybe cracked. If in the future you see some coolant on the ground in small amounts, I’d check that first.

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
As mentioned above just remove the bolts on the left lower cowling, and use the side stand extended to hold the cowling away from the bike. Some tin foil over the exhaust pipe under the oil filter can help direct the oil from getting in between the pipes.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Considering the age of our rigs plus the fact that plastic and rubber get brittle, I'd also replaced
P/N 19011PH9014, Cock, Drain (toyo)
which should come with the rubber gasket already attached, but if that's missing:
P/N 19012PA0004, Packing Drain
they're common parts, used in automotive, powersports, power equipment, possible even marine and generator units...

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
Heh, you sound very logical and meticulous. Nothing wrong with that. And for the little maintenance these bikes need, the time spent is well worth the smiles per miles afterwards. Enjoy!

OP
OP
karuzo
Bike
Royal Enfield INT650
Heh, you sound very logical and meticulous. Nothing wrong with that. And for the little maintenance these bikes need, the time spent is well worth the smiles per miles afterwards. Enjoy!
Thank you.

Top Bottom