Angel GT 2, Available Sizes

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I love my Angel GT's. When I heard they were coming out with a GT2, with a higher mileage claim I was ecstatic. Until I saw they don't offer an 18 inch front nor a 170 stock size or 180/60 in A-Spec.

Bummer.

If anybody is using them how do you like them?

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
@Whooshka - Did you ever try the GT2? I see that they still don't offer it in an 18" front, but you can find a 170/60 rear or a 180/55 A-spec.

It's new tire time, and I've been wondering if a GT front and GT2 rear is an acceptable combo.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
@Whooshka - Did you ever try the GT2? I see that they still don't offer it in an 18" front, but you can find a 170/60 rear or a 180/55 A-spec.

It's new tire time, and I've been wondering if a GT front and GT2 rear is an acceptable combo.
Yes I did. Mounted a 180/55 A-spec GT2. Good 'ol GT on the front. They work wonderfully. And they're wearing very well. Highly recommended.

Matter of fact I'm leaving in the morning to ride down your way. Heading to Lancaster, then ride out wherever the good weather is. Going to spend a night or 2 at a friend's lake house in Lake James. Look for 3 ST's and 2 FJR's.

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Yes I did. Mounted a 180/55 A-spec GT2. Good 'ol GT on the front. They work wonderfully. And they're wearing very well. Highly recommended.

Matter of fact I'm leaving in the morning to ride down your way. Heading to Lancaster, then ride out wherever the good weather is. Going to spend a night or 2 at a friend's lake house in Lake James. Look for 3 ST's and 2 FJR's.
I think you pretty much sold me on the Pirellis then. Do you see any changes in speedometer/odometer since you started using the different aspect rear tire?

Have a safe trip to Lancaster/Lake James! Lots of options for good roads on the NC side!

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I only use 180zr55/17 rears now with 2 ply re-enforced carcass's,, such as the Pirelli Angel GT/GT2 A-spec,,, or the Metzeler Road-tech 01 HWM,,, always at 42psi. The only front tire I have found that runs well for me is the 120zr70/18 Metzeler Z8 M-spec. But I recently learned that the Z8 model is being discontinued in favor of the newer Road-tech line,,, and they don't have a front tire in our size,, just as the newer Angel GT2 line does not. I think that selection of 18" front tires is shrinking from many manufacturers,, as it is no longer a popular size across more current bikes. I bought myself 2 spare front Z8's last month,, and that should last me till the end of the 2021 season. And that only left 2 of those tires in stock at the warehouse. So that will give me some time to figure out what is going on the front of my bike, after those are done. Cheers,,, CAt'

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Got the GT2's for my FJR and so far so good after a few hundred miles and riding them in a downpour with no issues. Different size of course and hope you can find a set.

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
@Whooshka - I just mounted an Angel GT in front, and Angel GT2 A-Spec on the rear (180/55). I did this on your testimonial, so if it all goes horribly wrong then I'll blame you. :thumb: :biggrin:

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I just mounted an Angel GT in front,
I used an Angel gt front,, a couple of years back,,, and it was a mess by the time I had to pull it off early. So just want to suggest to keep the pressures high (42psi) and watch for off-center-strip cupping. Will be interested to hear how it performs for you,,, cheers,,, CAt'

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I used an Angel gt front,, a couple of years back,,, and it was a mess by the time I had to pull it off early. So just want to suggest to keep the pressures high (42psi) and watch for off-center-strip cupping. Will be interested to hear how it performs for you,,, cheers,,, CAt'
Don't worry about the tire pressure. After over two decades in transportation/logistics, I've developed an almost fanatical preoccupation with tire pressure. If I head out on a ride without checking it, I get stressed out so badly that I can't ride until I stop and check. It's a curse, really.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't worry about the tire pressure. After over two decades in transportation/logistics, I've developed an almost fanatical preoccupation with tire pressure. If I head out on a ride without checking it, I get stressed out so badly that I can't ride until I stop and check. It's a curse, really.
TPMS is your friend.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I think you pretty much sold me on the Pirellis then. Do you see any changes in speedometer/odometer since you started using the different aspect rear tire?

Have a safe trip to Lancaster/Lake James! Lots of options for good roads on the NC side!
Got back late last night. I am highly jealous of those who live near the Carolina mountains. So many outstanding roads. I'm going to start another thread commenting on the Booster Plug I tried. Anyway...

I did not notice any change in the speedo and I have a Speedo Healer thingie which made my speedo spot on before and it is still spot on with the 180/55.

OP
OP
Whooshka

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
@Whooshka - I just mounted an Angel GT in front, and Angel GT2 A-Spec on the rear (180/55). I did this on your testimonial, so if it all goes horribly wrong then I'll blame you. :thumb: :biggrin:
Just looking back on this old thread.... how did you like the Angel GT's?

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I have had sets of both and have a set of 2's on the bike currently. Love the wear and traction I get with them.

Shawn K

Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Just looking back on this old thread.... how did you like the Angel GT's?
I liked them for the short time I had them, but I sold the bike with only about 1000 miles on the tires. My early impression was that I liked their highway feel better than the Bridgestones, and the turn-in felt more linear as well.

However, I sold the bike to a forum member, so maybe he'll be able to provide some insight come spring. As soon as I can remember his username, I'll tag him. I only remember his real name. ;):biggrin:

EDIT: It's @jrwox

Last edited:

Been working great for me, I love 'em. Had them for about a year and 7000 miles so far, doing great. Love 'em.

Not sure if it was F/R - GT/GT2 or GT2/GT. but the GT2 available sizes only fit on one wheel. If anyone wants to know I'll go look. I know he had a B I T C H of a time mounting the rear. It was a knick up from the stock size on width.

Last edited:
Angel GT2 rear: I have run 11 sets of Angel GT's on my 2006 ST1300 in 65000 miles. Most recently, I was unable to find a rear GT in stock sizing and purchased an Angel GT2, hoping that previous experiences with "latest and greatest" wouldn't prove to be true. I rode the motorcycle 3000 miles on the new tire the week of 4th of July, inflated to 42psi. Yellowstone, Beartooth Pass, Black Hills and Sturgis. Extreme temps. Heavily loaded (no passenger) with high speeds and hard cornering/braking. The GT2 lasted less than 4000 miles and now that it's on the wear bars, it's chipped on the left margin of the "flat spot" on approx. 35% of the grooves. I wrote to Pirelli (pen and paper). I LOVE the Angel GT. It's the best overall tire I've ever run and run them on 2 of my 3 bikes. The new Angel GT2 fails miserably. Less mileage, poorer handling, chipping of the grooves. After 10 years of buying the same tire, I'm now shopping for a new alternative. I prize grip over longevity but I don't want to change tires every 3k miles either. Thumbs down for the Angel GT2.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I had an Angel GT2 on the rear with a half used PilotRoad4 on the front. Handled okay. Angel wore evenly but only lasted about 5k. To be fair that's about all I get out of any rear tire.

Top Bottom