another empty saddle

Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
Last November, my riding buddy of thirtyfive years suddenly and unexpectedly passed away from an aeortic anurism. Bob McKee and I started riding minibikes as kids, and it was he who convinced me last year to step up to the ST from my old beemer. He had been riding his wineberry 1100 for seven years and I my old airhead. In 2006, on a particularly hot day, my airhead gave up the ghost at the git-back leg of a great ride around Mt. Lassen. After that, it was only a matter of time before he cajoled me into my new bike. Last summer, I talked him into going to Westoc with me. We took our bikes up to Redmond, met a bunch of you guys, and had a blast doing the Olympic run and one over the Cascades. He loved it. I was certain that I would be able to get him to go with me to Taos this year.
Bob was the kind of guy who loved to live life with passion and purpose. He was a gifted mechanic, and taught me the joy of fixing it myself early on. It is hard for me to imagine a riding season without him, but everytime I climb on the bike, I kinda feel like he is still there. There are a lot of people out there who have a "Bob" in their life, and I urge you not to miss every opportunity to take that ride with them. Take lots of pictures, and build lots of memories. You never know when the opportunity to do so will vanish.
I don't know if I'll have the heart to go to Taos without him this year, but I hope to make it to another Westoc and raise a toast to him then.
Mike

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
You very correct Mike... We all,,, have at LEAST 1 fellow rider who we no longer get to share a Curve/Blue Ridge Parkway/Coast Highway/Laugh with... If we have rode a while,,, we have many to take along with us when we ride...

The BESTEST thing you can do to remember your friend,,, is to go,,, and ride... When you are at Taos or wherever,,, a Tip of the Beverage of your choice,,, and remembering him is all any rider could ask from a fellow friend/rider... That way,,, "Both" of you get to share the ride...

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Mike,

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's really tough to lose a close friends who you've shared so many good times with. Regarding WeSTOC, I suspect he'd want you to attend. Hope I'll see you there!

John

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mike, go to Taos, that's what Bob would be telling you... There are lots of Bobs out there, of that you can be certain... there are also lots of Kents, Davids and Dereks.. etc... too many names to name them all...

But, they all ride with us every time. They did what we can all hope to do, as you said, "loved to live life with passion and purpose" ..

Very sorry for your loss. The best memorial you can do is ride and ride often and make him proud of you.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Glad to know you had a "Bob"!
I have one too.
Celebrate his life!!!

Thanks for the suggestion on making sure I keep my "Bob" close too...

Mark

STOC #
Go to Taos. Bob will still be "riding" along. He will be disappointed if you stay home and you'll both be doing nothing.

OP
OP
mpgar
Bike
2006 ST 1300
STOC #
Thanks for the support everyone. I'll put Taos back on the table. You're right about Bob. He would be pissed if I didn't go because of him.
Mike

Bike
97 ST1100
STOC #
Mike, go to Taos, that's what Bob would be telling you... There are lots of Bobs out there, of that you can be certain... there are also lots of Kents, Davids and Dereks.. etc... too many names to name them all...

But, they all ride with us every time. They did what we can all hope to do, as you said, "loved to live life with passion and purpose" ..

Very sorry for your loss. The best memorial you can do is ride and ride often and make him proud of you.
Mike....+1 on Joe's sentiments here, I totally agree.
Ride safe...Ed

Bike
2007 ST1300
I am terribly sadden to hear of the loss of you close friend. It just reinforces my intentions to ride all I can because at the age of 63 I need to do whatever I can, whenever I can. I live in Dallas and my sons are coming in from Kansas City and Denver tommorrow and we are taking a trip to Austin and the Hill Country in Central Texas. I rode with them last summer up in Colorado and it drove home the times I've missed with them since they left home. No more wasting time.

Again, I am saddened for you and the loss of your friend, however it has encouraged me more to live life to it's fullest while I still can, and for that, I thank you and your missing friend.

P.S. I'm going to WeSTOC in Taos. Hope to see you there.

Last edited:

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Hope you decide to come to WeSTOC this year.

I also hope that when I die, I have some friend that will carry the banner for me as well as you do for your bud.

See you on the road!

<D>

Last November, my riding buddy of thirtyfive years suddenly and unexpectedly passed away from an aeortic anurism. Bob McKee and I started riding minibikes as kids, and it was he who convinced me last year to step up to the ST from my old beemer. He had been riding his wineberry 1100 for seven years and I my old airhead. In 2006, on a particularly hot day, my airhead gave up the ghost at the git-back leg of a great ride around Mt. Lassen. After that, it was only a matter of time before he cajoled me into my new bike. Last summer, I talked him into going to Westoc with me. We took our bikes up to Redmond, met a bunch of you guys, and had a blast doing the Olympic run and one over the Cascades. He loved it. I was certain that I would be able to get him to go with me to Taos this year.
Bob was the kind of guy who loved to live life with passion and purpose. He was a gifted mechanic, and taught me the joy of fixing it myself early on. It is hard for me to imagine a riding season without him, but everytime I climb on the bike, I kinda feel like he is still there. There are a lot of people out there who have a "Bob" in their life, and I urge you not to miss every opportunity to take that ride with them. Take lots of pictures, and build lots of memories. You never know when the opportunity to do so will vanish.
I don't know if I'll have the heart to go to Taos without him this year, but I hope to make it to another Westoc and raise a toast to him then.
Mike

Top Bottom