Another one bites the dust

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I dropped by the local Motorcycle Dealer today just to look at the bikes and found this:
1708139918500.png

This was the last dealership on the Monterey Peninsula - There used to be four dealerships - all eventually combined into one that had Kawasaki, Honda, Ducati, Vespa, KTM and Aprillia under one roof. The Harley dealer closed a couple of years ago too. I was little surprised.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The Harley Dealership went under because they got hit with Huge fines for EPA violations, and some other shady stuff.
I knew a few folks who worked there that lost their jobs when it went under.
Sorry to hear about the other shops, I purchased a KLR from one of them, and used to hang out at the one in seaside after we went scuba diving for the day.
Another one bites the dust.
Pretty soon all the internet sales will kill off all the small mom and pop shops, and the only folks making money will work for these large corporations.
Sad times indeed.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
It's a problem that I'm not sure anyone has a solution for. On one hand, we all want a local dealership with good mechanics and lots of stock in accessories. And we don't want to pay a fortune for the service. On the other hand, if you tell me all the time that you'll put the part on order...I can do that too. Why do I need you?

I used to go to the local motorcycle dealership for just about everything but oil changes. They'd change my tires for about $35 a wheel. That was riding the bike in, and they took care of everything else. They needed miles on their bikes to sell them as a demo, so I'd take their bikes out for extended test rides. Then they doubled the price of a tire change. Maybe they thought it would bring them more profits, but it shut me out. It wasn't that I couldn't afford it, I could. But I'd changed bicycle tires growing up and then changed tires at a service station as I went through college. It was so cheap that it didn't make sense to do it myself...which brought me in for other things. And if they had incrementally raised the price, I'd never have cared. But doubling the price? It caught my attention and got me thinking differently. It was more principal for me, than simply the cost. When tire changes were cheap, I came there for everything else. Once they raised the price, I took to doing everything myself. It wasn't like it was hard. It was just less bother to have them do it, than me...till they doubled the price.

I just ran through something like this on my Subaru. The local independent service center did some work for me that was more than I wanted to get into. They also said I needed an oil change and that the rear brake pads were worn almost to metal on metal. If I remember correctly, they wanted @$650 for the job. I always change my own oil. Why should I pay for someone else to do it? I get a chance to look at other things on the car while I'm doing it. So no way was I paying them $150 to change my oil when I had the oil and filter at home. And changing rear brake pads? Incredibly easy. I think the pads were $37 on Amazon, and it was an hour's work. Versus $5-600? They priced themselves out of the business.

There's a cost - benefit tradeoff with having a dealer to go to. Our vehicles don't really require as much maintenance as they did 15-20 years ago. My wife's Toyota Camry went 245000 miles before we traded it in, and for the most part, all I did was the routine maintenance...change the oil, tires and brakes. Gone are the days of people trading their cars in every 2-3 years, because the changes are not significant, but the price increases are. I'm not the person who really keeps the dealerships afloat. ;)

And while the younger generations have lost the ability to pick up a wrench to work on their own vehicles, the vehicles don't need as much maintenance as before and some of us can do the routine stuff that really takes little skill to do.

The dealerships have to come up with a business plan that provides enough value for the money they need to stay afloat. Right now, they are still figuring that out.

Chris

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Another side of the coin is for those of us who continue to ride 'old dinosaurs'.
AFAIK, there is not a 'brand' motorcycle dealer anywhere near me that would even consider working on a ST1100. ;)
And as was said, any part I need they would have to order - been there, done that and they couldn't get the right part so I ordered it myself.
The last time I set foot in a MC dealer was when I had the 100,000 mile service on one of my ST1100s cause I just didn't have the time to do it myself.
They fussed and fussed that they didn't really want to do it then charged me handsomely for the work and messed part of it up.
I don't mind paying extra for good service but I do mind paying for little or no service.
There has to be a reason for someone to go to a MC dealer and most of them are not providing that reason and wondering where the business has gone.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It's all about the shrinking MC niche.

You don't have as many new riders getting into riding so the sales dept takes a hit and as a result so does the service dept as you don't have as many coming in for oil, tires, etc.

Dealerships combine brands in order to compensate for the traffic.. when that doesn't work.... zap..

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yes without riders there's nobody to buy the bikes. That's probably the single biggest factor – the shrinking rider/buyer pool.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
You don't have as many new riders getting into riding so the sales dept takes a hit and as a result so does the service dept as you don't have as many coming in for oil, tires, etc...
Over here many lease(!) or bank-loan finance a new ride every year (like with their phones), so many, used but low mileage rigs lean in the showrooms, the workshops however have a decreasing number of bikes coming in for service...
And since sales are more important then service, the numbers on shops with qualified mechs are decreasing... basically over neither the clients nor the managers want to pay them properly...

Bike
CBR500R
My local shop has more Jet skis and ATVs than motorcycles. When I go for rides, what I see is old people like me. Without new riders there are no new bike sales.
Some of it may be the way licensing has changed over the years. It is not that easy to get a bike license here in B.C.

Bike
2000 ST1100
;)MC business been in the doldrum for more than a decade and it isn't going to get any better. I hopefully got another 10 years of riding after that I'll be just another old codger sitting at the table with other old codgers talking about the glory years of motorbike riding.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The standard of living has dropped. It's a money vacuum out there.
You can't really tell that by the number of people flying to holiday destinations, clogging the ski hills at $200+/day lift tickets, restaurants and pubs that are full, plethora of new, high end, vehicles on the road, etc.

The numbers just don't seem to make sense when you look at the amount of unsecured debt that there is. Can't help but think that there may be some good buying opportunities coming up when reality finally hits.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
agree with the other comments that the industry has just continued shrinking for so many years there's not much business left in the USA market.

This discussion got me thinking about the motorcycle industry in the '50s and earlier, I think it was pretty small before the Japanese entered the market. Seems like the baby boomer generation was the driving force behind building up the motorcycle industry as we knew it, and we may have been the only generation with that level of enthusiasm for motorcycles. Not sure why that would be the case, but it seems to be true.

STOC #
I get that if you can do the work yourself you might want to do.
My uncle was trained as a mechanic for WWII. When he got back, he refused to work on his own cars. He said I am a teacher and get paid for that. The mechanic down the road gets paid to fix my cars so let him make a living too. Less business and he has to charge more to stay afloat. Motorcycle sales have gone up and down since I learned to ride in 69. Sales seem to be pretty good now when the dealer can get stock. I think maybe Covid and supply issues made it too hard to recover from for some businesses. Hopefully it gets better but supporting your local dealer when you can isn’t a bad idea while he is still there.

Top Bottom