Another place I wish I knew about before the trip. Utah

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just learned about a neat crossing that is bored under Highway 89 just south of Mt. Carmel Junction Utah. This is the Zion park corner. It's called Belly of the Dragon tunnel.

Of course I was within 17 miles when I passed through Kanab Utah a couple months back. Next time for sure I'll stop and look.

no, he's talking about something else. Its a small tunnel dug under hwy 89 east of Zion. I walked through it a few years ago with my wife/daughter, its nothing great, but if you're already going that way its worth taking a look.

That's cool, adding that to my basecamp waypoint for the future, thanks Raymond.

There are many places like that in Utah. Burr trail is one of them but along the trail is a small slot canyon and if you go far enough there are the switchbacks. 1690222352512.png
1690222459684.png

Playing in my backyard! :thumb:

Just be aware of the weather. Days like today, ZION is under flood watch, due to possible thunderstorms in the area!

I just learned about a neat crossing that is bored under Highway 89 just south of Mt. Carmel Junction Utah. This is the Zion park corner. It's called Belly of the Dragon tunnel.
What exactly is that tunnel? Was it natural or man made? Why - for drainage or people?

Back
Top Bottom