Another preload adjuster low on oil

mbw919

Martin
Bike
'07 ST1300
Thanks to all the previous posts here about this issue, I was able to top up my rear shock preload adjuster today. I had noticed lately that I was seeing more of my hand grips in the mirrors than normal. When we ride two up, I have the preload at max. By myself, I run it ten clicks out from max. One day I forgot to turn it back down and noticed the view in the mirrors was back to normal. I suspected that the rear suspension was sagging more than normal and the tape measure confirmed it.

Starting with the adjuster all the way out, it took eight clicks in before any resistance was felt. The spring was compressed less than 1/4" at max preload. I was able to snake the preload adjuster out the right side of the bike, without removing the shock, and hold it higher than the top of the shock. This required removing the battery and flexing the battery box a little. I disconnected the hose from the adjuster body and kept it suspended as high as possible. With the preload adjuster on the bench with the hole up, I compressed the piston with a small screwdriver then filled to the top with some left over Bel Ray 10w suspension oil. I tried to add a drop or two to the hose, but it seemed to be full. After reassembly, I now feel resistance after the first click in from all the way out. At max preload the spring is compressed 3/8". This is the same as Killtimer reported in this post:
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46683&highlight=preload&page=2. Ten clicks out from max now gives me the correct sag again.

I did not find any signs of leakage at the banjo fittings but the top of the shock had a slight film that maybe felt a bit oily. I bought this bike new two years ago and still have another year of warranty coverage, but don't think this justifies a claim. If this needs to be done every two years that's ok with me. I enjoy tinkering anyway. I'll keep an eye on it just in case it becomes a more frequent problem.

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
I've just done a search and found this post. It describes the exact same issue I found on my '07 ST1300 today.

I screw the rear pre-load adjuster out, (reducing pre-load), and for the last 8 - 10 clicks, there is no resistance. When I screw it back in, (increasing pre-load), for the first 8 - 10 clicks, there is no resistance. It then gets progressively harder for about another 10 - 12 clicks when it becomes very hard to turn.

This doesn't seem normal to me, I would expect progressive resistance from zero. Has anyone else experienced this or has anyone else cured this issue by emplying the same method as mbw919 above?

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
There have been at least a half-dozen or so people that have experienced this issue including me. You just need to top off the preload reservoir with fluid as described in the thread mentioned in the first post.

Top Bottom