Antifreeze leak after mechanical seal change

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
2007 St1300A 118,000 km

Last fall I changed my merch. seal, bearing, oil seal, impeller, gaskets 2 O rings at the top of the cover. All went well until today. I started my beast and a few drops came out the round hole just prior to 3 bars. I took my time doing the work and I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I have the correct distance (24mm) at the impeller end
The only thing I might have had problems with was the ceramic/mechanical mating. I left the completely dry when I installed the impeller
Does anyone know if I should have put antifreeze or oil on the mating surfaces to prevent dry start?

Last edited:

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
It is not uncommon for the internal seals to weep a slight amount as the ceramic seal can take a while to bed-in. I'd keep an eye on it but chances are it will stop after you put some miles on it. The weep hole was put there for this purpose.

OP
OP
Tdinova
Bike
'07STA
STOC #
Went for my 4th 1hr trip today...

Leak is gone..

Thanks group
Nova Scotia drives only this year.. probably 2 or 3 Cabot Trail trips during June and July. About 1000km round trip.

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #

Leak is gone..

Thanks group
Nova Scotia drives only this year.. probably 2 or 3 Cabot Trail trips during June and July. About 1000km round trip.
The Trail will always be good, even better that tourists aren't there, not so good for the economy but great for the MC riders.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A

Leak is gone..

Thanks group
Glad the leak stopped.

Knew a guy who had a leak (not on an ST) that stopped on it's own, followed soon after by an engine that stopped. The leak had self corrected by draining out the coolant. :confused1:

Top Bottom